Surprise cruise deliberately booked with wrong name. Trouble when correcting?

I booked a cruise yesterday as a surprise for my SO and did not want it to show up on his account and ruin the surprise. I used his first name with my last name (they are different), and no C&A number. I thought I could just call and have it changed after the surprise is revealed, but I just read another thread that indicates the cruise would be repriced if a name change is made later and the prices have gone up.

If that is true and I have to change to the correct last name now (before the price changes), will omitting his C&A number be enough to keep it off his "my cruises" list?

Not true. I just changed a name of my cruise mate and the price is up $100 on my labor day cruise. No change in price. Changing a name should not change the price.

I wouldn't wait too long to change the name though, I do believe there is a limit if you do it too close to the sail date there is a fee involved.

I booked a cruise yesterday as a surprise for my SO and did not want it to show up on his account and ruin the surprise. I used his first name with my last name (they are different), and no C&A number. I thought I could just call and have it changed after the surprise is revealed, but I just read another thread that indicates the cruise would be repriced if a name change is made later and the prices have gone up.

If that is true and I have to change to the correct last name now (before the price changes), will omitting his C&A number be enough to keep it off his "my cruises" list?

Not sure I totally understand, but as long as one of the names on the cabin remains the same, the change in price doesn't matter.

*I* understand your concern.

SOME people have reported having their cruises repriced to 'current pricing' when they call to make some slight change, such as hitting the next level in C&A and wanting the higher balcony discount applied.

I would ditch the idea of surprising him and just fix things now. Regrets later would be even more painful if you realize that you could have averted them.

:)

I thought about changing it after we get off the Vision on August 18, when he is unlikely to log onto his account before casually browsing cruises. But the very good price I got includes the BOGOHO, which will be gone after July 15, plus a mysterious $81 C&A discount, so the price might be higher by then. Do you think omitting his C&A number would keep the cruise off his list if I play it safe and change his name now?

I thought about changing it after we get off the Vision on August 18, when he is unlikely to log onto his account before casually browsing cruises. But the very good price I got includes the BOGOHO, which will be gone after July 15, plus a mysterious $81 C&A discount, so the price might be higher by then. Do you think omitting his C&A number would keep the cruise off his list if I play it safe and change his name now?

Don't know for sure, but it's possible that the C&A number will be populated automatically once the name and birthdate are given.

It wouldn't go on his my cruises list would it unless he puts the reservation number in and adds it as a new booked cruise. If he hasn't got this info he won't find out about it.

I might be wrong but . . . . Lol

I always have to enter my reservation number, sail date and ship for the reservation to show up on my "my cruises account". It should go undetected.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Don't you have to take ownership of the reservation, for it to show up under "my cruises"? Also, will he really be looking under "my Cruises", if he doesn't know he has one coming up?

I hope that you can keep it a secret from him, since it sounds like a nice surprise!

Unless you book the cruise online from his RCI account it will not show up on his my cruises account. You have to manually add any cruises booked by telephone with RCI or with a TA.

Okay, perfect answers! I will go ahead and change his name now, just in case, but I think you are right about having to deliberately add the reservation number to have the cruise appear on his account.

I hope I can keep it a secret for a few months (January sailing). Last month I booked Chops as a surprise on the August cruise, but the very next day he said he had a taste for a good steak and was going to make a Chops reservation.

I always have to enter my reservation number, sail date and ship for the reservation to show up on my "my cruises account". It should go undetected.

True. I book all of our cruises, and never bother to log in as DW to update her cruise list. My cruise list has eight cruises listed and her account has none listed. So, unless you booked using your SO's login, they won't ever see the reservation unless they have the reservation number, ship, and sail date, and add it manually to their account:)

You have to put in someone's C&A number or you will not get the C&A discount that is showing. Doesn't sound like a balcony discount @ $81.

I used my C&A number, and the $81 discount (not a balcony discount) is truly a mystery. Other cruises on the same date did not have a C&A discount. I was afraid to ask, in case it was a mistake and they would take it away.

Okay, perfect answers! I will go ahead and change his name now, just in case, but I think you are right about having to deliberately add the reservation number to have the cruise appear on his account.

I hope I can keep it a secret for a few months (January sailing). Last month I booked Chops as a surprise on the August cruise, but the very next day he said he had a taste for a good steak and was going to make a Chops reservation.

Like the others said it will not show up in his profile. I just check my husbands and none of our cruises are listed under his profile.

I just spent over two hours on the phone with RCCL over this issue. I booked a cruise on the Allure back in November 2013 for a cruise in October 2014. We booked two rooms with my name on one and wifes name on the other. We told the Loyalty Ambassador that our sister and brother in law would be joining us, and she assured me that we could add their names at a later time with no rate change. Well, today when I did that they wanted an increase of over $500 per room because the price went up. They ended up calling C & A and then subsequently a Past Guests supervisor before they would allow the name additions without a rate change. After making all the changes I had the young lady call the supervisor back and ask how to make these types of reservations in the future. The supervisor she spoke with then told her I could do it the same way or make it a TBA (To be Added) reservation. Huh? Apparently it all depends on who the supervisor is you talk with. Or are the Loyalty Ambassadors are not giving out the correct information? FYI same last names on the reservations.

I just spent over two hours on the phone with RCCL over this issue. I booked a cruise on the Allure back in November 2013 for a cruise in October 2014. We booked two rooms with my name on one and wifes name on the other. We told the Loyalty Ambassador that our sister and brother in law would be joining us, and she assured me that we could add their names at a later time with no rate change. Well, today when I did that they wanted an increase of over $500 per room because the price went up. They ended up calling C & A and then subsequently a Past Guests supervisor before they would allow the name additions without a rate change. After making all the changes I had the young lady call the supervisor back and ask how to make these types of reservations in the future. The supervisor she spoke with then told her I could do it the same way or make it a TBA (To be Added) reservation. Huh? Apparently it all depends on who the supervisor is you talk with. Or are the Loyalty Ambassadors are not giving out the correct information? FYI same last names on the reservations.

I asked about "TBA" when I made the reservation (by telephone, directly with RCI) and was told, "They really want to have names on the reservations."

Or are the Loyalty Ambassadors are not giving out the correct information? FYI same last names on the reservations.

Loyalty Ambassadors, are genetically modified humanoids who are programmed to do only two things: smile and sell cruises. Whatever you want to hear triggers a pre-programmed response of "Absolutely, that's not a problem." :D

Loyalty Ambassadors, are genetically modified humanoids who are programmed to do only two things: smile and sell cruises. Whatever you want to hear triggers a pre-programmed response of "Absolutely, that's not a problem." :D

Too funny!! :D Think your assessment is correct due to all of the situations read here on CC.