Changing to Select Dining

erinpdx

We are currently booked with traditional dining at 8:30 but are thinking we would prefer to switch to Select Dining. Can we do this once we are on-board? Would like to use our OBC for gratuities so thought it might be best to wait until we are on-board. Does Select fill up beforehand? Has anyone not been able to change once on board? I'm assuming it's a popular option but am unsure if it actually fills up completely.

Greetings

On our cruises Select was quite popular. So you can either change now to assure Select dining (you have to prepay the grats) or wait and hope there are still slots available. If you are ok with your late dining time should Select be full, then roll the dice and wait to change till you board.

Good Sailing

Tom

We booked select dining upfront and because the tips have to be paid in advance (wacky) our "tips included" from our TA turned into an OBC. Since I enjoy the spa and other upcharge amenities this is not a problem.

Generally when doing trial bookings for possible cruiss select seems to be the one most likely to be unavailable. If you really want to switch to select then I recommend doing it now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While we have only been in select dining on the Century my impression also is that the select dining option fills very quickly, and if someone waits until they board to try to change from traditional to select they will likely find that select is full.

We are currently booked with traditional dining at 8:30 but are thinking we would prefer to switch to Select Dining. Can we do this once we are on-board? Would like to use our OBC for gratuities so thought it might be best to wait until we are on-board. Does Select fill up beforehand? Has anyone not been able to change once on board? I'm assuming it's a popular option but am unsure if it actually fills up completely.

We had a strange thing happen on the second leg of a Med back to back cruise on Equinox.

We prepaid our gratuities for the first cruise and dined upstairs of he MDR in the Select section. It was much too crowded.

On the second leg of the cruise, the ship charged our account each day as we were assigned a table in the Traditional section downstairs of the MDR. But, it was a port intensive cruise and we didn't go to the MDR until the second Formal Night of three. Not remembering our table assignment, we stopped at Guest Services for the Table Number.

As it turned out our seats were no longer available to us because we hadn't used them. Well okay, then let's go to Select Dining, and Guest Services said that was not permitted as Select was Full.

Oops! No place to put us in the MDR? That's the way it was. So, we requested our dining tips be removed from the seapass account and we gave cash tips to the crew who helped us in the buffet. Also, we made liberal use of the Specialty Restaurants, Tuscan Grille being our favorite.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

We had a strange thing happen on the second leg of a Med back to back

Oops! No place to put us in the MDR? That's the way it was. So, we requested our dining tips be removed from the seapass account and we gave cash tips to the crew who helped us in the buffet. Also, we made liberal use of the Specialty Restaurants, Tuscan Grille being our favorite.

-Marisa

This is crazy. How can they not allow you to eat somewhere in MDR? I think you deserve compensation of some kind for this. I know they can move in tables, because they moved in one for us on our last cruise.

As it turned out our seats were no longer available to us because we hadn't used them. Well okay, then let's go to Select Dining, and Guest Services said that was not permitted as Select was Full.

-Marisa

something must be missing in this story. There are folks who dine in specialty restaurants, their cabin and the buffet the first few nights, but they aren't then denied MDR dining. While I don't doubt the poster, there has to be more to this story. If not, it's not only weird, it's scary.

something must be missing in this story. There are folks who dine in specialty restaurants, their cabin and the buffet the first few nights, but they aren't then denied MDR dining. While I don't doubt the poster, there has to be more to this story. If not, it's not only weird, it's scary.

Agreed, perhaps some mis-communication between the guests and the Matre' de.

We booked late seating for our upcoming in Nov, and after talking on the Roll Call wanted to switch to select, this was the end of Feb 1st of March. Nope, already sold out, booked full!:eek: Now they did tell us to check back quickly after final is due Aug 27th, and see if any of the cancelations had select.

If you feel that is how you want to go, change it now, as you can always go whenever you want.

If all else fails, make sure you see the Matre' de first thing on the embarkation day and see if something can be arranged to suit you better.:D

About a month ago onboard we asked to switch to Select. Didn't do it in advance because of the onboard credit. Was able to get changed.

On my last cruise this past January on the Silhouette, I met a couple who ate every night at the Mast Grill. :confused:

On that particular cruise, when I booked I wanted set time dining and they said it was full and had to go to Select Dining. This was the first time we experienced Select Dining after maybe 15 years of cruising, we liked it so much that we plan to request Select Dining for all future cruises.

This was the first time we experienced Select Dining after maybe 15 years of cruising, we liked it so much that we plan to request Select Dining for all future cruises.

I certainly prefer it especially on Port days as it is so much more relaxing to go when you want rather than the set time.:D

I was told by my TA that the pre-paid grats will be refundable, but I would check to be sure.

I also had a nice OBC that I would have used for that purpose. Hopefully they will just put it back on the CC.

After reading this thread I am considering signing up for Select now rather than waiting til we are on board. We are new to Celebrity but have used MyTime numerous times on RCI and love it. We booked our cruise tour through our online TA and have several amenities including pre paid gratuities. I am bummed we can't apply those pre paid gratuities now to sign up for Select. (This has never been an issue on RCI). I am hoping we will be refunded the pre paid amenities at the end of the cruise if we pay up front. Any advice?

A couple years back two seats at our table were unused during the first 3 nights. We had met friends on board and asked the Maitre'd if they could use the chairs since the people who were supposed to be there never showed up. He left word for them in their cabin and two nights later allowed our friends to sit there because the people had not responded. I would think that before giving away someones seat they would at least check.

That being said, with MDR seating at a premium (usually) I can see seats being given up if they aren't used for the first half of the cruise.

To the OP, it would seem to be a good idea to sign up for what you want as soon as you know, that way you get your choice. I know from personal experience that the Maitre'd will do his/her best to accomodate you but why take the chance?

Edited by RickT

To the OP, it would seem to be a good idea to sign up for what you want as soon as you know, that way you get your choice. I know from personal experience that the Maitre'd will do his/her best to accomodate you but why take the chance?

Good advice, if it fails to get the result you want then see the Matre' de asap when on board.:D

Since our cruise is sold out, I asked our TA to change our 8:30 seating to Select dining. I didn't want to wait till onboard to try and make the switch. Another $300 was tacked on to what we owe when payment is due. It's the service charge.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Select may be sold out when we get onboard. Eating at 8:30 is too late for me!

Since our cruise is sold out, I asked our TA to change our 8:30 seating to Select dining. I didn't want to wait till onboard to try and make the switch. Another $300 was tacked on to what we owe when payment is due. It's the service charge.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Select may be sold out when we get onboard. Eating at 8:30 is too late for me!

Good result, and I also think paying the gratuities in advance is so much easier and it helps spread the holiday bills a little bit as well.:D