Sorry...i have to ask a dress code question

We are sailing in a couple of weeks out of Rome for the 7 day Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise. Since we are flying into Rome 4 days prior I don't want to have to pack and lug around a sports jacket, tie, etc...Questions:

1. Can I wear dress shorts (pressed etc.. not cargo casual) and a golf polo or dress polo without feeling out of place in the MDR on any given night but for formal? How about dress shorts and a Tommy Bahama style shirt that does not tuck in?

2. Is a sports jacket and tie necessary for formal night?

Thanks very much!!

Guest maddycat
We are sailing in a couple of weeks out of Rome for the 7 day Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise. Since we are flying into Rome 4 days prior I don't want to have to pack and lug around a sports jacket, tie, etc...Questions:

1. Can I wear dress shorts (pressed etc.. not cargo casual) and a golf polo or dress polo without feeling out of place in the MDR on any given night but for formal? How about dress shorts and a Tommy Bahama style shirt that does not tuck in?

Thanks very much!!

If you really don't want to feel out of place, wear long pants. A jacket is not necessary for formal night.

Thanks very much!!

It takes longer than 7 days to get from Rome to the Western Caribbean?

I'm confused (doesn't take much) ?

:-)

It takes longer than 7 days to get from Rome to the Western Caribbean?

I'm confused (doesn't take much) ?

:-)

Certainly the OP meant top say Mediterranean Cruise particularly since the Liberty is there through September.

Edited by xxoocruiser

You may be turned away from the dining room in the evening for wearing shorts, as long pants are recommended.

RCI makes suggestions about MDR attire, but they won't turn the OP away based on shorts vs slacks.

RCI makes suggestions about MDR attire, but they won't turn the OP away based on shorts vs slacks.

Actually, the not shorts rule is just that - a rule, not a suggestion. Depending on how well the dining room staff is doing their job, he may or may not be turned away.

Actually, the not shorts rule is just that - a rule, not a suggestion. Depending on how well the dining room staff is doing their job, he may or may not be turned away.

I keep reading on CC that people in shorts may be turned away but I see a lot of people wearing shorts in the MDR so not sure how true that is anymore, although it does say in the Compass that short pants are not permitted.

Sherri:)

As long as you wear athletic socks with sandals to complete the look.

Thanks very much!!

I can never figure why people here try to convince others to ignore the cruise line's request that you not wear shorts in the dining room. If a poster cares enough about dressing appropriately to ask the question, why tell him to under-dress? I have to believe that anyone who actually asks the question about what SHOULD he wear, does NOT want to show up in clothing too casual for the situation.

True, if he does show up in inappropriately casual clothes, they will probably NOT refuse to let him enter the dining room. Probably, but not for certain. It does happen from time to time. Depends on how strictly they are enforcing the rules on that ship, or that itinerary. If I'm wrong and the OP really doesn't care about how appropriately he is dressed for dinner, then he should go ahead and listen to the "wear shorts, no matter what" supporters. But in that case, why ask?

A month ago on our Med. cruise one staff member did give my son stern warning about wearing his dress shorts in the MDR and not to wear shorts again on the other side. The staff on our side never said a word and called him Florida the whole cruise because he always wore his shades in walking into the MDR. Formal nights he did wear dress pants and a tie.

Can someone educate me on "dress shorts" please? I'm picturing the businessmen in Bermuda, wearing their very smart shorts with blazer, long sleeved shirt and tie, long socks and polished slip-on shoes. That's probably not right though. What sort of shirt does a man normally wear with dress shorts? What sort of shoes?

Hello OP, you seem to be so worried about your shorts that you've forgotten which continent you are sailing in.

Its much more important that you get on the right ship :D

If you're put off wearing shorts, maybe take some long lightweight trousers, linen or cotton ones. You can always try the shorts out and if you happen to be turned away you have a back up plan.

It's mega hot in Europe at the moment. We've sailed the med a lot and its always been relaxed.

Edited by Adayatatime