UPDATE: Wife broke leg cruise cancelled

tazdeb

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my wife breaking her leg and needing surgery a week before we were to go on the Oasis of the seas. Well we wound up cancelling and so I thought I'd update everyone on how the insurance claims worked and how dealing with Royal Caribbean to get the necessary forms played out. First of all, due to forum rules I cannot name the insurance company I used but it was not RCCL. It was a private firm that begins with an A. Dealing with them was a breeze. The agent I dealt with was very thorough and listed every form I would need and within 2 days a copy of those forms were delivered. I needed a copy of the invoice from RCCL. That what saved on line under the my cruise section of the RCCL web site. I also needed a copy from the credit card company in the amount paid to RCCL. This was also found online. Next we needed an note from the surgeon stating what was done and that medically she was unfit for travel. This was grudgingly provided by the surgeon ( he was so busy he couldn't take 5 min to fill out the form). We also needed to write a letter stating how the leg was broken. Finally, we needed to get documentation from RCCL on how much exactly the penalty from RCCL would be. This required dealing with RCCL IT department. We had two rooms reserved (one for our daughters and one for my wife and I ) and for some reason RCCL could not get the names and penalty amounts to match even though a reservations were made at the same time with the same amount paid for each rooms.

After 3 calls and talking to 5 agents the paperwork for the amount of penalty was delivered. I did not know the port fees and taxes are refunded by RCCL so the penalty for cancelling was less than the amount paid.

The hotel room was cancelled without penalty, the airfare was transferable (Southwest).

So I had all the forms I needed by 08/04/2014 which would have been day 3 of the cruise and mailed them the next day.

Well yesterday less than 2 weeks later a check arrived for the full amount of my claim.

So thank you RCCL and insurance company that ends in a G. I guess the moral of this story is ALWAYS GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

Appreciate your update and glad to hear your wife is on the mend. We always get insurance and, of course, hope never to need it but sure glad to know it works and what kind of documentation is needed.

Good to hear your wife is recovering well,but sorry your cruise had to be canceled.

Thank goodness for cruise insurance! You are proof that anything can happen a week, or just a few days beofre a cruise, most people would of been out of luck.

We never cruise without insurance! ;)

Thanks for the update....have you rebooked anything yet?

Thanks for the update and how all the insurance works. We always get the insurance and usually directly thru the cruise line but we have booked independently a couple of times.

Glad your wife is doing well and hope you get to sail again soon!

I First of all, due to forum rules I cannot name the insurance company I used but it was not RCCL.

Just an FYI, but naming insurance companies is not against CC rules since there is an entire Cruise/Travel Insurance, forum dedicated to such a discussion. You are not allowed to name or discuss specific Travel agents. Slight difference.:)

Port fees and taxes along with anything else like prepaid gratuities, beverage pacakge, etc is refunded directly from RCI.

Glad that you wife is improving. Having had to cancel several cruises since last October, we are very glad that we took out insurance.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my wife breaking her leg and needing surgery a week before we were to go on the Oasis of the seas.... Well yesterday less than 2 weeks later a check arrived for the full amount of my claim. So thank you RCCL and insurance company that ends in a G. I guess the moral of this story is ALWAYS GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

I remember your thread. Happy to hear everything was easily resolved and your wife is healing :)

Thank you for coming back to post your positive experience. There's many times we discuss situations on this forum and a thread dies off without really hearing about a result or how things were dealt with.

So I'm assuming you've re-booked on Oasis?? ;)

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my wife breaking her leg and needing surgery a week before we were to go on the Oasis of the seas. Well we wound up cancelling and so I thought I'd update everyone on how the insurance claims worked and how dealing with Royal Caribbean to get the necessary forms played out. First of all, due to forum rules I cannot name the insurance company I used but it was not RCCL. It was a private firm that begins with an A. Dealing with them was a breeze. The agent I dealt with was very thorough and listed every form I would need and within 2 days a copy of those forms were delivered. I needed a copy of the invoice from RCCL. That what saved on line under the my cruise section of the RCCL web site. I also needed a copy from the credit card company in the amount paid to RCCL. This was also found online. Next we needed an note from the surgeon stating what was done and that medically she was unfit for travel. This was grudgingly provided by the surgeon ( he was so busy he couldn't take 5 min to fill out the form). We also needed to write a letter stating how the leg was broken. Finally, we needed to get documentation from RCCL on how much exactly the penalty from RCCL would be. This required dealing with RCCL IT department. We had two rooms reserved (one for our daughters and one for my wife and I ) and for some reason RCCL could not get the names and penalty amounts to match even though a reservations were made at the same time with the same amount paid for each rooms.

After 3 calls and talking to 5 agents the paperwork for the amount of penalty was delivered. I did not know the port fees and taxes are refunded by RCCL so the penalty for cancelling was less than the amount paid.

The hotel room was cancelled without penalty, the airfare was transferable (Southwest).

So I had all the forms I needed by 08/04/2014 which would have been day 3 of the cruise and mailed them the next day.

Well yesterday less than 2 weeks later a check arrived for the full amount of my claim.

So thank you RCCL and insurance company that ends in a G. I guess the moral of this story is ALWAYS GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

We had to cancel an Alaska cruise for illness last year one week before embarkation. We had RCCL travel insurance. We had less paperwork to deal with. The doctor filled out a single page on the of the 3 page insurance claim and I only had to send that and the copy of the RCL paid booking confirmation. We did not have airline costs. We got 100 percent of the money refunded to us less the insurance premium.

So very sorry to hear that your wife broke her leg and your trip was spoiled.:(

Glad to hear she is on the mend and you were reimbursed.

I always purchase the travel insurance in the event that someone in my family requires a medi vac. So glad it worked out for you.

Now that you've received your refund, it's time to book another cruise to celebrate your wife's recovery. :)

Next we needed an note from the surgeon stating what was done and that medically she was unfit for travel. This was grudgingly provided by the surgeon ( he was so busy he couldn't take 5 min to fill out the form).

What's with doctors these days? A few of our doctors refuse to fill telephone prescriptions these days.

Part of the doctor's job is to provide absence notes.

We had to cancel our very first cruise when DH broke his hip, and got all our money back from Royal. Other times, we've called our insurance when the airline lost our luggage. So far, it's turned up before we set sail.

Edited by knittinggirl

So glad that your wife is doing well. :)

Port fees and taxes along with anything else like prepaid gratuities, beverage pacakge, etc is refunded directly from RCI.

I didn't think about the fact that taxes and insurance are refunded. We book insurance independently with CSA. I guess from now on, I can insure only the cost of the cruise portion, without including the taxes and insurance fees?

We had to cancel an Alaska cruise for illness last year one week before embarkation. We had RCCL travel insurance. We had less paperwork to deal with. The doctor filled out a single page on the of the 3 page insurance claim and I only had to send that and the copy of the RCL paid booking confirmation. We did not have airline costs. We got 100 percent of the money refunded to us less the insurance premium.

This is good to hear because I have read many times on these board not to book through the cruiseline.

I wonder what the RCCL insurance experience would be like if someone were to get ill or injured while on a cruise and needed to be medi evacuated off the ship?

So glad that your wife is doing well. :)

I didn't think about the fact that taxes and insurance are refunded. We book insurance independently with CSA. I guess from now on, I can insure only the cost of the cruise portion, without including the taxes and insurance fees?

Iamthesea

First, I don't believe anyone said that insurance costs are refundable.

Also, depending on policy, many companies require you to cover the ENTIRE cost of your trip if you have a Pre-Existing Condition rider and/or a Cancel For Any Reason rider. If the insurance company determines that you did not cover the entire cost of your travel, the insurance policy can be voided and any claims denied.

:confused: And I didn't say anything about insurance costs being refundable. :confused:

many companies require you to cover the ENTIRE cost of your trip

I have read this before. I still don't understand what this means. How can the insurance company know what you covered and what you didn't cover, if one is only asking to be reimbursed for the cruise portion?

Edited by Iamthesea

?

I just found out that you don't have to include the port fees & taxes in the cost of the cruise insured. I am sure I overpaid in the past.

:confused: And I didn't say anything about insurance costs being refundable. :confused:

:oApologies...I just reread what I wrote in that post. I meant port fees instead of insurance. :o:D

montekat - Where did you hear this?

Edited by Iamthesea

I forgot to add that my wife's leg is healing fine and to thank everyone for their kind words.

GLAD that your wife is recovering! Hope that all will work our as far as any therapy that she might need. :)

Thank you SO much for posting what happened and how thing finished. The best part is that your Insurance DID pay like they should have paid!

Thanks again for the up-date! :D

:oApologies...I just reread what I wrote in that post. I meant port fees instead of insurance. :o:D

montekat - Where did you hear this?

When you book a cruise, and I'm going to use RCI as an example, if you have to cancel after final payment RCI will reimburse you (and I'm sure I forgot something)

Port Taxes & Fees

Prepaid Gratuities (if you had them added or are doing MTD)

Any Beverage/Wine Package

Any Specialty Restaurant Booking that was made prior to boarding

$$$ % based on number of days to departure

Once you have received your refund from RCI, and this usually takes 5-7 business days, you would subtract the amount of Cruise Care Insurance from your total invoice along with what RCI refunded you and that is the amount you will submit to the insurance company.

We have had to cancel 8 cruises last year after final payment, so I've been pretty well educated in the paper process and what to claim on their forms!:D

Edited by cruisenfever