New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

41 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

Is there an unwritten rule on refillable water bottles? I will be bringing a water bottle (not plastic) for the first time. I used to buy the canned water and looking to spend that money elsewhere... Is it frowned upon filling the water bottle up with ice and water in the Lido? 

You can certainly fill your own containers, plastic or otherwise, in the Lido. The rule is: do not fill it directly from the spout- fill one of the Lido cups and then pour that into your container. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Native Floridian and have grown up on water from the well that comes from the Florida Aquifer......For us, Florida water and Holland America Line water (the no surcharge kind) are perfect!

Enjoy the journey......

I Agree. Florida Aquifer water is good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwd79 said:

Is there an unwritten rule on refillable water bottles?

The only rule I'm familiar with for refilling water bottles is to use a clean glass to get your water and use that to pour it into your bottle rather than bringing he mouth of your bottle up to the spigot.

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Native Floridian and have grown up on water from the well that comes from the Florida Aquifer......For us, Florida water and Holland America Line water (the no surcharge kind) are perfect!

Enjoy the journey......

Maybe I should have said "Central" Florida well water or Florida sulfur water. Where I live in east coastal central Florida, our well water stinks and tastes of sulfur.

On 8/20/2023 at 2:35 AM, AllTheSun said:

Can you buy the water package delivered to the room after boarding? We’re pretty picky about water but have read good things about HAL’s water. I’d like to try it and only order the package if we don’t like it.

Yes you can

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cwd79 said:

We will be on the Zaandam in an interior room so there won't be any fridge. Was planning on getting ice from the Lido when the ice that was filled up in our room melts... but wasn't sure if that is a no-no... 

Get you Stewart to top up each day

4 hours ago, cwd79 said:

Is there an unwritten rule on refillable water bottles? I will be bringing a water bottle (not plastic) for the first time. I used to buy the canned water and looking to spend that money elsewhere... Is it frowned upon filling the water bottle up with ice and water in the Lido? 

Not an issue, you are allowed to fill your bottle in the Lido. They just ask you put the water in a cup then pour it into your bottle. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

You can certainly fill your own containers, plastic or otherwise, in the Lido. The rule is: do not fill it directly from the spout- fill one of the Lido cups and then pour that into your container. 

Exactly.

On 8/19/2023 at 7:30 PM, Clay Clayton said:

We did the same but when we left for dinner we emptied all the ice that was in the ice bucket into our water bottles we kept in the refrigerator. Then before we went to bed we did the same. That way the next morning we had a relatively full of ice water bottle which would stay cold for most of the day.  This was perfect for our port days in Hawaii. 

I'm not a big extra tipper for room stewards but this would bring an extra tip from me.  I'm from AZ and my refrigerator's freezer has an ice bin that essentially gives me unlimited ice, so ice cold water has become a necessity for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, islandwoman said:

If you lived in Florida and were on well water 🤪, you might feel differently about that !

But I also refuse to buy water on Holland American ships. There's no point. Ship's tap water is so much better than Florida well water.

When I've lived in a place with bad tasting water I've found that the combination of a water softener and a reverse osmosis system gives me excellent water.  And I've read on these forums that tap water on cruise ships is treated similarly.  But it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that zing (of ice).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

The small ice buckets in your stateroom hold only a few ice cubes so I now bring a small collapsible cooler that needs filling only every other day.  Cooler temps are much colder than the minibar (fridge).

Based on CC inquiries several years ago about minibar temps, I brought my infrared thermometer to measure.  Over a number of cruises, I measured minibar temps for beverages kept in the door at 43 degrees F and in the back 38 degrees F.  If you like cold beverages, letting them spend some time in an ice-filled cooler should give you a 33-degree F "cold one".

Is that like a collapsible insulated ice bucket this or is it electric?  I'm assuming the former.

2 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Is that like a collapsible insulated ice bucket this or is it electric?  I'm assuming the former.

It is a Coleman collapsible soft-sided cooler bag and folds flat in my luggage.  Holds 18 cans of soda.  Not electric.

• Like 2

Wow, this thread is amazingly helpful and so many of you are so generous with your time and expertise.  I'm not exactly a HAL newby, having done a 14 day Alaska cruise on Zandaam about 5 or 6 years ago, but this time around I'm sure it will be much different.  I booked a 17 day Hawaiian cruise for Jan/2024 on Konigsdam with Have it All and Club Orange.  And I've become a widower and this will be my first time sailing solo and first time sailing since the recent unpleasantness.  I'm not a typical cruiser, since for me it's always been about being on the ship way more than the ports.   I think the only port I think I will get off for is Honolulu, where I've booked a Pearl Harbor excursion, as I am very much a history buff with WW2 being a period of particular interest to me.

I did go back and read the last month or so of this thread so as to not exasperate people by asking something that was already asked and answered 4 times in the last month.  But I still have questions.

As I said, I have the Have it All package.  I believe it comes with the Surf Internet?  Are there any sites that can be streamed with that package (I am a bit of a YouTube junkie) or would I need to upgrade to the streaming package.  And if I have to upgrade does anyone know the cost?  And is it better to do it pre-cruise or onboard?  I've already figured out how to download stuff from other streaming services so I can watch it offline.  

Am I correct in assuming that having the 2 speciality dining nights does not preclude me from buying a dining package, and if I do so I can go to the Pinnacle Grill once on my Have it All package and once on my purchased dining package?  And since I probably want to wait to make that decision until I get on board and get the lay of the land (or, rather the sea) am I correct in assuming that I can buy the dining package onboard.  And, crazy question, is there such a thing as a lunch specialty package?

I'm a pretty big guy, so what is the largest size of the regular or CO bathrobe.  I got the thermal package because I love me a hydrotherapy pool a K-dam's looks very nice.  So if I don't fit into the largest provided size I'll have to buy one and bring it with me.  And what's the situation on having laundry done?  Cost?  Quality?  Any restrictions on what they will launder?  And can you specify that you want certain items ironed?

I notice that you can get a cabana for the length of the cruise if you buy it pre-cruise.  Anyone know what the cost would be for a 17 day cruise?

Finally, I know there is a West Coast Ports forum, but that seems to be dominated by Seattle discussion.  So my question is about recommended hotels where you can park your car and stay a night and then leave your car there for the duration of the cruise - with a cruise port shuttle.

My 2 previous cruises pre- pandemic were on MSC in their Yacht Club and I know this will be very different.  So I appreciate any and all answers you can give me.  Thanks.

Cheers!

53 minutes ago, Crew News said:

It is a Coleman collapsible soft-sided cooler bag and folds flat in my luggage.  Holds 18 cans of soda.  Not electric.

Hmmm, I'm going to be taking a long range trip on Amtrak from Flagstaff AZ to St. Louis and back, and something like this would be very handy for bringing food on the legs where I can't access the dining car.  I assume I can find this on Amazon?

Regarding coolers - we typically bring a small YETI cooler in our large suitcase - simply filling it up with items we'd pack anyway. Sure, it takes up a bit of space on its own, but man does it keep things cold (and not sweat all over the place on the outside).

Tom

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm a pretty big guy, so what is the largest size of the regular or CO bathrobe.  I got the thermal package because I love me a hydrotherapy pool a K-dam's looks very nice.  So if I don't fit into the largest provided size I'll have to buy one and bring it with me.  

I am six foot six and a little over 300 lbs and the usual one size fits all robes don't. But on Koningsdam last October when we asked the steward to take it away as I knew it wouldn't fit, he said he had larger ones. I figured he would come back with one that might fit but not really.  Surprise! He had a 3 or 4 XL that was actually a little bit large on me. First time ever getting to sit on the balcony in a robe!

Of course YMMV and they won't have them or your steward won't know about them but if it was me, I would go on the assumption that they do and if one isnt immediately available, keep asking saying you know they have them. 

Have a great cruise to Hawaii-we did the roundtrip Vancouver and found it enjoyable.  We had some issues related to the Main Dining Room and Buffet but we didn't go hungry. Be sure and use one of your specialty nights in Tamarind-it was great. We also enjoyed Rudi's-probably one of the best meals we have ever had at sea. 

Lastly, if you're overnighting in Honolulu like we did, consider making reservations and going to the Sunset Happy Hour at "House without a Key". It was one of the highlights of our cruise. Beautiful location, wonderful music, great (albeit expensive) MaiTais, and Miss Universe 1991 doing the hula!

8686BEE7-73D8-41D0-A339-BDD65DE6EF34.jpeg

845852DA-A92C-41D9-8518-9A4E65B85ABC.jpeg

IMG_3304.jpeg

897371AA-C80D-440A-BF92-6AEF5FAABD5D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hey @Toofarfromthesea welcome back! I'll take on a couple of your items:

*There are no dining packages - you book whatever specialty dining you'd like and you can do that pre-cruise online or onboard. Whether part of HIA or separate, if you have dates you want, you might consider doing that early as times do book up. No lunch package, either, but yes you can book lunch in Pinnacle Grill (onboard only).

*There is a XXXL robe - you have to ask your cabin steward. They're limited and I've found also asking in the spa is the best way to get one. You can purchase robes, but I don't remember the cost. It's usually in your cabin along with the cost for a couple other items.

*Laundry on HAL is awesome! They handle special requests, just slip a note in the bag. You only need to purchase pressing if you aren't having something washed as pressing is included w/washing. You can have some items folded and others hung - your call. You can buy per bag (onboard only) or unlimited (pre-cruise or onboard). Prices have recently changed, not sure about Hawaii cost, likely $25-$35/bag. For the unlimited, log into your cruise manager and look under packages - the price for your specific cruise will be there. If you do by the bag, the cost is for as much as you can fit into the bag - roll items then stack in the bag to maximize how much you fit. I've put so much in 1 bag it was returned in 3 baskets plus hangers! You may see daily costs for laundry (here on CC, not on HAL) but there is no actual daily option; that is the unlimited package.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the fastest or cheapest way to achieve 4-star Mariner status?  I am a 1-star with 13 points 🤣 I'd like to be 4-star by fall, 2025 when I hope to go on HAL's Grand Africa (if they offer it). 

I know that I can earn one point per night on a cruise, or 2 points per night if sailing in a suite, and one point for every $300 spent onboard. I have a 42 day cruise booked for 2024, but that won't be enough and I made the mistake (as far as earning Mariner status is concerned) of buying the Early Booking Bonus that includes crew gratuities that I think would have been considered onboard spending otherwise.

I would like to hear some words of wisdom from those who have managed to achieve 4-star status.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

I would like to hear some words of wisdom from those who have managed to achieve 4-star status.

We just made 4 star.  It only took us 21 years. LOL.

For us, the business case to buy suites and spend a lot of $$$ onboard did not come close to being worth it financially for the 4 star benefits.  We just continued to book with Holland America Line and it happened.....21 years later.

Please do not get me wrong though, we are very excited that we board in October for the first time with 4 stars on our belly (and the rights and privileges herewith-in) but I'd suggest you just enjoy the journey and let it happen......But if you do not want to do that, the best way is to get those double points for suites (never buy an upsell as they do not count towards double points) and spend onboard like a (@#$rat) and you will get there sooner.....

Enjoy the journey........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

I have a 42 day cruise booked for 2024, but that won't be enough and I made the mistake (as far as earning Mariner status is concerned) of buying the Early Booking Bonus that includes crew gratuities that I think would have been considered onboard spending otherwise.

On cruises that include HIA (or the early Booking Bonus of HIA and Crew Appreciation), the equivalent amount is counted as onboard spending. So we have maxed out our onboarding spending days on all recent cruises with HIA. No way we would have reached that number otherwise. Remember all pre-purchases (excursions, dining, beverages, cabanas, etc) also count as onboard purchases.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

On cruises that include HIA (or the early Booking Bonus of HIA and Crew Appreciation), the equivalent amount is counted as onboard spending. So we have maxed out our onboarding spending days on all recent cruises with HIA. No way we would have reached that number otherwise. Remember all pre-purchases (excursions, dining, beverages, cabanas, etc) also count as onboard purchases.

I didn't realize that!  It's good news. Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We just made 4 star.  It only took us 21 years. LOL.

I'll call your LOL and raise you - 😉

I've been a 1 star since 1966. After our Rotterdam sailing next Thanksgiving (54 years later) I'll make it to 2-star status. At this rate, I'll make 4-star by, ummm... nevermind !  😄 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am new to Holland America and will be travelling on NS in September. From reading previous reviews I thought there were no adult only pools on NW however when I look at the frequently asked questions on the web site is says that you must be over 18 to use the sea view pool. I am interested to know if this is the case and if so, is this rule observed. I usually sail on celebrity and their adults only pool is strictly adults only.

2 hours ago, lisax said:

I am new to Holland America and will be travelling on NS in September. From reading previous reviews I thought there were no adult only pools on NW however when I look at the frequently asked questions on the web site is says that you must be over 18 to use the sea view pool. I am interested to know if this is the case and if so, is this rule observed. I usually sail on celebrity and their adults only pool is strictly adults only.

The Seaview Pool on NS is 'supposed' to be adults only, but it is not enforced.