New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

12 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I know there is a dedicated west coast port forum, but all the ports are together and the search function is very weak, which makes it hard to find anything useful.  So since HAL has several popular cruises that embark out of San Diego I'm hoping I can get some good feedback here on hotels, if I decide to come in early. 

I know there are 2 or 3 that are so close that a lot of folks just walk to the cruise port.  I have mobility issues so that's not for me.  OTOH I can't see getting a taxi or Lyft to travel less than half a mile.  Also, the ones close in seem to be very pricey, in the 300+ range.

So I looked around on Expedia and found The Bay Club Hotel & Marina.  It's about 15 minutes from the cruise terminal, about half the price of the hotes close in, and got a very solid 9.0/10 rating.  So, does anyone have any feedback on it or can suggest something comparable?

In another thread you mentioned you might drive.  I know that the Best Western Yacht Harbor and Holiday Inn Airport both offer parking packages.  I was quoted free 7 days with hotel stay and each additional day $5.  That is quite an offer and worth considering. Many on my roll call give both hotels a passing to good grade.  Both hotels say they offer a shuttle to airport but I have no experience 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

Has anyone had any experience on the Volendam in one of the sideways shaped interior rooms? Specifically 2619. I saw some blank spaces around the cabin and wondered if there is a lot of noise? Thank you

That's MY cabin on the R-class ships. It's larger than the other large inside cabins, and has been my favorite since I first stayed in one. 
On one side there is the starboard passageway, and the cross-passageway is behind the headboard of the bed. On the other side is the staircase, and the side to the right of where you come in is lined with two (of the three) closets, is a crew passageway. 

I never heard a peep when I was sleeping in all of the times I stayed in that cabin---no matter which of the ships. And it was a LOT of cruises on the four ships. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cwd79 said:

Has anyone had any experience on the Volendam in one of the sideways shaped interior rooms? Specifically 2619. I saw some blank spaces around the cabin and wondered if there is a lot of noise? Thank you

I have stayed in this cabin and have to agree with @RuthC, that noise will not bother you. The room is huge compared to usual inside cabins. Very convenient location is another bonus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

In another thread you mentioned you might drive.  I know that the Best Western Yacht Harbor and Holiday Inn Airport both offer parking packages.  I was quoted free 7 days with hotel stay and each additional day $5.  That is quite an offer and worth considering. Many on my roll call give both hotels a passing to good grade.  Both hotels say they offer a shuttle to airport but I have no experience 

I haven't decided for sure yet and want to have a good 'fly in the day before' option for comparison.  When I look at the price of gas the cost of parking for 17 days and the wear and tear on me, I'm not sure driving will be the best choice.

Another newly to HAL question or two

If you have the signature Bev pkg and it is happy hour at the bar, how do you take advantage of it? Is it 2 for 1, meaning you get 2 drinks but are only hit for 1 drink on your daily limit, or are you hit for 2 drinks?  Since the price is included that is not the issue, so how does HAL handle it?

Also, I have not seen any mention of an alarm clock in the cabins, or even just a clock in the cabin.  we are in an inside cabin so we definitely won't see sunrise lol, I just need to know if I should bring an alarm clock.

thanks for any help

10 minutes ago, Duane S. said:

If you have the signature Bev pkg and it is happy hour at the bar, how do you take advantage of it? Is it 2 for 1, meaning you get 2 drinks but are only hit for 1 drink on your daily limit, or are you hit for 2 drinks?  Since the price is included that is not the issue, so how does HAL handle it?

Also, I have not seen any mention of an alarm clock in the cabins, or even just a clock in the cabin.  we are in an inside cabin so we definitely won't see sunrise lol, I just need to know if I should bring an alarm clock.

thanks for any help

There wasn't a clock of any kind in our cabin on the Westerdam week before last. We used our cellphones as alarm clocks.

• Like 2

With an iPhone, Apple Watch and an iPad, all with clock and alarm functions, I've never brought a clock along. IIRC, you can get a wake up call, but other than what you can find on the TV, I don't recall seeing any clocks, let alone one with an alarm.

12 minutes ago, Duane S. said:

thanks for any help

If you have the Bev pkg, my advice is to avoid happy hour. It is super crowded. The 2 for 1 doesn't apply. You have a total of 15 drinks, be they alcoholic or non-alcoholic. The reason we chose the Bev pkg is because it freed us up from having to be somewhere at a particular time to receive the discount.

Also, no clocks in the cabins that I've been in. I just usually use my phone but after 21 days on my most recent cruise in an inside cabin, I've decided to look for a small battery operated clock to pack. I don't always have my phone sitting within arms reach and sometimes I just want to know what time it is. 

6 minutes ago, seaoma said:

If you have the Bev pkg, my advice is to avoid happy hour. It is super crowded. The 2 for 1 doesn't apply. You have a total of 15 drinks, be they alcoholic or non-alcoholic. The reason we chose the Bev pkg is because it freed us up from having to be somewhere at a particular time to receive the discount.

Also, no clocks in the cabins that I've been in. I just usually use my phone but after 21 days on my most recent cruise in an inside cabin, I've decided to look for a small battery operated clock to pack. I don't always have my phone sitting within arms reach and sometimes I just want to know what time it is. 

That's our issue as well we just want to know what time it is without hunting for phone, plus it is a bit of a nite lite as well.  bummer about the happy hour but I thought that it would be that way, no loss, I can't drink 15 alcoholic drinks in one day anyway lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, seaoma said:

18 hours ago, Duane S. said:

That's our issue as well we just want to know what time it is without hunting for phone, plus it is a bit of a nite lite as well.  bummer about the happy hour but I thought that it would be that way, no loss, I can't drink 15 alcoholic drinks in one day anyway lol

LOL. This 75 year old boomer has been wearing a watch since he was a pre-teen. Night or day, wherever I am, checking the time is instantaneous, no need to find a clock or my iPhone. My Gen X kids laughed at me, although my son finally saw the light and bought an Apple Watch. 😇 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. This 75 year old boomer has been wearing a watch since he was a pre-teen. Night or day, wherever I am, checking the time is instantaneous, no need to find a clock or my iPhone. My Gen X kids laughed at me, although my son finally saw the light and bought an Apple Watch. 😇 

I just do not like sleeping in a watch. I have tried for a few years with my Fitbit. I can only manage about 5 days. I'm also someone who takes off their wedding rings and earrings every night too.

18 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I just do not like sleeping in a watch. I have tried for a few years with my Fitbit. I can only manage about 5 days. I'm also someone who takes off their wedding rings and earrings every night too.

This 72 year old will not leave the house without a watch on.  I think I have about 8 of them now.  One of the glow in the dark one goes on cruises and any other vacation with me

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I can sympathize, as I've had some watches over the years that were uncomfortable to sleep in. Fortunately, I could put them on the bedside table and, as they had big faces with luminous hands and numbers, I was able to read them without even having to lift my head from the table. My wife could never do that with her dainty little watches.

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I can sympathize, as I've had some watches over the years that were uncomfortable to sleep in. Fortunately, I could put them on the bedside table and, as they had big faces with luminous hands and numbers, I was able to read them without even having to lift my head from the table. My wife could never do that with her dainty little watches.

I can't even read my phone without my glasses. 

I had a travel clock that I bought from LL Bean 100 years ago and it was about the size of a playing card. The numbers were about an inch in size. It was nice because it was dark at night until you tapped it and then it would illuminate. It was perfect but over the years it quit working for some reason and of course, they no longer make them.

Edited by seaoma

1 hour ago, mafig said:

Just printed our boarding passes.  

Isn't it supposed to have a bar code?

How far out is your cruise? The barcode won't appear until the last couple days, but passes can be downloaded without it earlier. Usually, times change with each version they notify you of.

OK, you are right.  I see it in very small print.

In Larger Print at the top of page 2 it also says"

"You can use this paper copy at the pier or the digital boarding pass in the Holland America Line Navigator appl"

On 10/2/2023 at 4:14 PM, Duane S. said:

thanks for any help

I didn’t bother with an alarm clock. I have a smartphone for telling time and I use the old school HAL phone by the bed for morning alarms to make sure I don’t screw up a time zone change.

• Like 1