New MAGIC Bands are coming to RCCL

skyking

On Majesty last weekend, the dinger podium was only used for taking a picture to load onto the Seapass card when boarding. Getting on and off of the ship after that was all done by a scan reader device (handheld gun type thing). Majesty recently started loading the drink vouchers for D and above on Seapass cards. I wonder if the software updates are all part of the same system (RFID chip in Seapass card or bracelet)? I know RCCL often uses Majesty to train waiters, bartenders, etc. Maybe the system is currently being tested? We still had to take off hats and sunglasses, FYI, so the picture must have been coming up on the scan reader.

Edited by Mystaken

Reading through this thread was informative, and I now like the idea of the bracelet:

- Since the bracelet is removable, no concerns about tan lines, pictures, or wearing it during sleep. I'm thinking I'd hook it around the handle of the small tote bag I take to the pool; and IF I took it to dinner at all, it'd slip in to my purse.

- These are already being used not only at Disney but at expensive water park resorts like Great Wolf Lodge, and they're working well in those venues. So clearly this isn't an item reserved for inmates and hospital patients.

- Yes, the technology can fail, but I've also a couple times been given a room key that didn't work -- that that became demagnetized during my stay. I see no plus or minus in a change to a bracelet.

- It sounds like the "nominal charge" really is nominal. That makes me think they're charging only what this is actually costing them -- probably this is better for them, and they're pushing the new technology by using a low price.

- The paranoia on this thread is outrageous! Why would anyone care whether "Big Brother" knows where you ate lunch? As for tracking us to add upcharges later, they can count how many people attend the shows vs. how many hang out in the bars -- and they use that information to make changes for the future. They care that 300 people attended a certain event and that only ten people attended a napkin folding class, but they don't care whether Mrs. Jones attended either event.

- Similarly, the concern about "looking like a tourist" is foolish. The locals know who's a tourist and who isn't. And so what?

- The bracelet shown is clunky. It'd look fine on a guy, but I hope they'd manage some smaller sizes for the ladies.

Edited by MrsPete

Wow, I haven't seen so many people get freaked out over something so insignificant in a long time.

You can be tracked by the GPS on your phone

Cars have fobs now days, no key on a lot of them, get close to it the doors unlock, sit in it hit the start button no key just the fob that you never take out of your pocket. (for the gamblers, you might not have to "tap on, tap off")

I wonder how many of the people that are complaining had one of the yellow "Livestrong" bracelets... I sure used to see a lot of those in pictures.

You cant go anywhere on that ship without a camera already knowing where you are.

It looks like it will come off so you don't need to sleep in it

I think we have a lot of guilty, paranoid people that are scared of technology. (yet these same folks have there face stuck in a smart phone all day sending emails and posting in forums......that can be tracked LOL)

I love it, now I won't need to keep up with a card when at the pool!!

Carry On

How many have On-Star or Navigation in there car?

Better get rid of it as they can track that too!

Why does a duplicate car key cost $200? You guessed it RFD Chip!

What about your toll tag? Big Brother knows your every move. LOL

Technology is here whether you like it or not.

Edited by Whittyone
added to post

Indeed I read the other day that when US Passports started containing RFID chips in 2006 [cue twilight zone music] the State Dept. claimed they were the type of chip that could only be read at 10 cm until some myth busting types demonstrated the information could be skimmed at 10 meters. The feds have tried to remedy this by adding a foil strip in the cover of the passport book, but personally, if your passport was issued 2006 or later, I would invest in one of those screening covers.

The read distance on the RFID enabled US passport when open varies greatly based on the power of the reader, environment and degree to which the book is opened. It is virtually zero when fully closed. Getting another cover for a US passport is equivalent to wearing a second condom:cool:

Edited by kemenyg

The read distance on the RFID enabled US passport when open varies greatly based on the power of the reader, environment and degree to which the book is opened. It is virtually zero when fully closed. Getting another cover for a US passport is equivalent to wearing a second condom:cool:

As long as the crooks agree to only use the short range skimmers in the proper environment aimed at fully closed books, we should all be fine, right?

You are saying pretty much what the State Department said when the RFID passports were first issued. I am simply saying that I have read an article that said the State Department line was proven inaccurate by someone who demonstrated that passport information could be skimmed from distances of up to 10 meters. The gov has since added foil to the book covers but it is not clear how effective that has been. I only know what I read, and have no way to independently verify any of it. But, given that screening devices are pretty cheap, and the security/privacy of RFID devices remains subject to question, I think that caution regarding their use is prudent. I reiterate, I don't care if the cruise line monitors my every move. Probably pretty boring stuff [well there was that one night . . . oh never mind]. I am unconcerned about "Big Brother" and have no phobia of "plastic jewelry." I am, however, concerned about the possibility of sensitive personal information [say credit card information from your on board account] being skimmed [either on board or ashore]. I confess my research has only just started, but I have found nothing to persuade me that these security/privacy concerns are unfounded or have been fixed.

If you watch the video from RCL closely, you'll notice that the locking mechanism doesn't have a slot for a sea pass card magnetic strip reader. So unless they are going to put 2 separate locking devices on all the doors, it means that sea pass cards will have RFID capability.

interesting.

I will certainly be buying one. The function that most appeals to me is the electric shock it omits to stop me, after having a few too many drinks, trying to step outside for some fresh air...............on my virtual balcony.

If rumours are to be believed some smart IT entrepreneurs have developed some handy aftermarket additions that can be downloaded onto the bands.

*PAS (photographer avoidance system)

*Automatic credit refusal system that can detect and block your wife's band when in the proximity of so called on board sales.

*Virtual Tux. Creates an aura around the body giving the impression that the wearer of the band is attired in formal gear even when they are wearing shorts and bare feet. Only fools cannot see this aura.

*Tipping BS detection. Emits a loud beeping sound when in the presence of a person happily talking about how they always waste hours of their time standing in line to remove their auto grats just so that they can personally tip the same people more in cash.

*Port shopping BS warning. A predictive application that emits loudly the words " because I get commission" at the exact time that the port shopping hostess mentions the reason why passengers should purchase merchandise from the stores in port replacing words such as bargain, value, wont get cheaper anywhere else or the like during the port shopping talk.

Priceless!!!

Fully Closed is the operative phrase. A passport will naturally be ajar if left by itself like in a purse or bag. If nothing else the RDIF blocking sleeve will keep your passport fully closed all the time.

Shak

As long as the crooks agree to only use the short range skimmers in the proper environment aimed at fully closed books, we should all be fine, right?

You are saying pretty much what the State Department said when the RFID passports were first issued. I am simply saying that I have read an article that said the State Department line was proven inaccurate by someone who demonstrated that passport information could be skimmed from distances of up to 10 meters. The gov has since added foil to the book covers but it is not clear how effective that has been. I only know what I read, and have no way to independently verify any of it.

All current RFID US passports have security features to minimize any potential breach of that info by surreptitious means. Let's just say that I have direct knowledge of the subject.

For the truly paranoid no amount reassurance will suffice to allay their fears that someone is out to get their info or that black helicopters are tracking them. So whether it's a passport, WOWBand, cell phone, or any other wireless enabled device, if you think someone is out to get your data you might as well throw them all away. Tho that might make it tough to get back in your cabin.:cool:

According to RC's website, the wrist-bands are optional. You will still be able to get the old-fashioned sea pass. That is what I intend to do. In addition to your valid objections, I just don't like the wrist-band idea. Seems more like a hospital than a cruise ship.

But that would be the case on HAL

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

I hope that there is still the option of having sea pass card instead of the RFID bracelet that was announced at the reveal today.

1. I do not like the idea of being tracked throughout the ship because I am wearing an RFID tag.

2. My wife mentioned now if we decide to purchase pictures we have to look and see if an awful bracelet is in the picture.

3. Most important to me is I cannot stand having something around my wrist and will not even wear a watch for an hour. How can I be comfortable for a week if I have to wear a bracelet.

I hope this is only an option and not required...

Thoughts?

I would wrap that arm behind my husband or behind my kids, on my lap.

As far as wearing the wrist band I am in. For me it beats carrying a sea pass. How many times have you said as the door shuts "oh crap" I left my sea pass on the dresser!

Shak

Edited by Shak

As far as wearing the wrist band I am in. For me it beats carrying a sea pass. How many times have you said as the door shuts "oh crap" I left my sea pass on the dresser!

Shak

Well, soon I guess I'll be able to say "oh crap, I've left my WOWband on the dresser. I'd rather not sleep or shower with it on, so I've still got potential for losing it and leaving it behind. :p

Well, soon I guess I'll be able to say "oh crap, I've left my WOWband on the dresser. I'd rather not sleep or shower with it on, so I've still got potential for losing it and leaving it behind. :p

That's funny! I sleep and shower with my watch on (my watch is waterproof) and I will sleep with the WOW BAND too!!

I am also not concerned if locals know I am a tourist. They know it regardless if you were the band or not.

Shak

That's funny! I sleep and shower with my watch on (my watch is waterproof) and I will sleep with the WOW BAND too!!

I am also not concerned if locals know I am a tourist. They know it regardless if you were the band or not.

Shak

Now you'll have your WOW Band and your watch! It would be nice if the WOW Bands included a little watch. I want a lot for $2 a day, don't I?