RCI hiring 220 at Springfield center

WALKER1313

Someone asked a while ago about the RCL call center in Springfield OR. Well they are apparently hiring 220 new phone agents to handle RCL cruises. This brings their total to Around 1000 at the center. Need a job?? $10ish an hour, quick advancement, health insurance, incentive pay, fitness center, free cruise after a year of service -- according to what I read.

Someone asked a while ago about the RCL call center in Springfield OR. Well they are apparently hiring 220 new phone agents to handle RCL cruises. This brings their total to Around 1000 at the center. Need a job?? $10ish an hour, quick advancement, health insurance, incentive pay, fitness center, free cruise after a year of service -- according to what I read.

Very interesting, can you tell me where you read this???

Norma

No need to know anything about cruising or RCI. Ability to make up answers absolutely necessary. No training provided:eek:

No need to know anything about cruising or RCI. Ability to make up answers absolutely necessary. No training provided:eek:

Further advancement possible for applicants, if poorly qualified, in RC IT and web development. :D

I wonder where this information was.

The only news story I can find about any hiring in Springfield was in 2012. Hopefully the "new" news is accurate. Azamara just relocated their call centers to Guatemala, so this would be good news for RCCL.

I wonder where this information was...
A quick google turned up:

from 24 Sep 2013 http://www.kezi.com/royal-caribbean-call-center-hiring/

AND

from 27 Sep 2012 http://www.kval.com/news/business/A-wave-of-new-jobs-comes-to-Royal-Caribbean-in-Springfield-171628701.html

I couldn't locate any 2014 announcement

Edited by TravelerThom

Here is the article from the Springfield Times. It states they are hiring 140 to bring the total up to 660.

A Royal Addition

It’s become somewhat regular: Royal Caribbean is once more hiring at its Springfield facility. The Florida-based cruise company opened its Springfield call center in January 2006, in a building designed to look like a boat. In the last few years, things have been going swimmingly. Rita Stolze, site director for Royal Caribbean’s Springfield facility and the company’s director of Trade Support and Service, confirmed another round of hiring is underway. “We are targeting 140 new employees by the end of the year,” Stolze said. “This is a big hiring phase. The hires are all for Springfield. The 140 is on top of what we currently have, which will bring us close to 660 employees.” While Royal Caribbean had some cutbacks during the early part of the recession and hasn’t reached the initial goal of filling its Springfield building with employees, the recently announced hires continue a trend. For more on this and other news from around the Springfield area, pick up a copy of the Oct. 5 issue of Springfield Times, available at news racks and stores all around the area. Look under the ‘Newspaper Locations’ link on this site to find out where. Call 541-741-7368 or stop by 741 Main St. today to subscribe. Tweet

OREGON ???

Why would they intentionally put a call center way out there and not in their own HQ building in Miami (or at least close by the corporate offices)?

All the way at the complete opposite corner of the country from Miami?

OREGON ???

OREGON ???

Why would they intentionally put a call center way out there and not in their own HQ building in Miami (or at least close by the corporate offices)?

OREGON ???

It all makes perfect sense... to someone.

OREGON ???

OREGON ???

I'm sure its for financial reasons. :)

Edited by runner15km

OREGON ???

OREGON ???

Same reason many companies are outsourcing call centres overseas. Cheaper everything.

OREGON ???

OREGON ???

When Crown & Anchor was relocated from Wichita they moved it to Springfield, Oregon.

I always thought the call center was out there in order to make it easier to staff up for evening hours on the East Coast ... that is until I called at 7 a.m. and got someone in Oregon who has just started her shift.

As an aside, another perk is apparently contests for various things. When getting a price drop on my Alaska cruise, the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable about cruise-tours, since he had won an Alaska cruise for selling the most cruise-tours the previous year.

Same reason many companies are outsourcing call centres overseas. Cheaper everything.

well the airlines are outsourcing to India ... and even the phone company here routes their calls to da Pilipines ... so I guess youre right, Oregon is better than calling RC and hearing "yes, dank you for coaling Royal Caribbean, my name is Arpesh, er, I mean .. "John" ... I help you please?"

we'll stick with Oregon.

OK. I did some goggling, because I was curious to see if I could find a picture of the call center, since it's supposed to be designed to look like a ship. The link below offers a bit more information, along with a photo of the building ... and a certain amount of inflammatory text. Not trying to start any rants, folks. I'm just posting this for the picture of the building, which I find intriguing.

I guess it answers the "Why Springfield" question ... incentives offered ... always the bottom line.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/09/articles/crew-member-rights-1/overworked-underpaid-on-the-high-seas/

Edited by emeraldcity

Time Zones? can't have everyone working on eastern time !

Lets just be happy that they are keeping the jobs in the US !

Steve

I am sure this is part of the reason (in addition to financial incentives), it's kind of a 'follow the sun' approach with a 3 hour time difference between Eastern and Pacific time zones.

I know many people that work at this facility. It has been there since 2007. The wages mentioned are for entry level and non management positions can pay up to $20+ an hour for agents.

As for the comment about "no training" not at this center. Each agent goes through 6 weeks of training before ever taking a call. The truly terrible agents are often the outsourced agents who receive very little training.

As for "why Oregon?" For a lot of reasons. At the time it wasn't a 24/7 facility but had hours to support West Coast customers. Then, as they ramped up it made sense to move customer support positions out there as they had this big, new facility. You'll very rarely ever talk to anyone in Miami anymore and Wichita is all but gone from Royal. Even the executive response team will be in Oregon soon (the folks that answer Adam's emails....)

Edited by cruisnseas

Perhaps, not wanting to have all their eggs in 1 basket, RCCL wanted to have more than 1 call center location, especially with their headquarters in an area prone for hurricanes. If EVERYONE worked in Miami and a hurricane knocked out their one and only call center...then what, rocket scientists? Everyone would be on here saying how dumb it was to not have their call centers spread out. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some of the other reasons listed played a part as well. They've been in Oregon for 9 years now, so if you are just now wondering why they would want to put a call center out there, you are a tad late to the game. :p

Edited by CruisingMachine

Perhaps, not wanting to have all their eggs in 1 basket, RCCL wanted to have more than 1 call center location, especially with their headquarters in an area prone for hurricanes. If EVERYONE worked in Miami and a hurricane knocked out their one and only call center...then what, rocket scientists? Everyone would be on here saying how dumb it was to not have their call centers spread out. :rolleyes:

I'm sure some of the other reasons listed played a part as well. They've been in Oregon for 9 years now, so if you are just now wondering why they would want to put a call center out there, you are a tad late to the game. :p

Pretty sassy there, mister!