RX Medicine on Board

us2inparadise

We always carry all prescription medications in their original bottles.

Since 9/11, three times our medical bag has been checked -- actually took out the bottles and read the labels. The worse check we had was when we cruised one month after 9/11 and the man opened all DH's medicine bottles and dumped them on a table -- like he was looking for something special. Then he just scooped up the pills and dumped them in the bottles -- everything was mixed up and their was hair and fuzz in the containers. The table was not at the regular TSA check-in but at a table by the gate of US Airways. The man did have a TSA badge and we were randomly selected. Needless to say once we got to San Diego, we made a call to US Airways and also wrote a letter.

Unfortunately there's nothing US can do about it. You should have requested a TSA supervisor on the spot./ They had NO legal authority to dump out the pills, and frankly I would have made a HUGE stink about it--probably to the point of calling my Congressman.

However, if your cruise starts and ends in a US port, your pills are not going through customs at the various ports of call.

I have only been on Caribbean cruises. We use the day of the week pill containers and have never had an issue with immigration/customs, TSA, airport security, ship security, etc. The few pills per day that most of us probably take and relative few pills compared to those who are transporting pills for illegal reasons.

You assume that everyone A. only cruises in the Caribbean, and B. doesn't need to carry their pills with them when they go ashore.

You assume that everyone A. only cruises in the Caribbean, and B. doesn't need to carry their pills with them when they go ashore.

You are right that some people have to bring their meds ashore with them and that could be a problem (possibly) if they are not kept in pharmacy labeled bottles.

I keep my Rx and over the counter meds in their original containers for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is US Customs and the customs agents of other countries.

Don't even think of going into Japan with unlabeled meds!

If I were to fall down or fall ill when away from home, having the correctly labeled medications will help medical professionals to find out what and how much of what I've been taking.

That could be a lifesaver!

My late mother-in-law was taken apart by US Customs when returning the the USA at JFK airport. All of her medications which were in the multiple day containers were first thrown on a filthy table and then pawed thrown and then seized from her.

She didn't even have enough heart medications to get her home to Florida!

The cost of replacing the seized meds was very high and took a lot of telephone work on a weekend to get the replacements once we got her home.

It is very unwise to give people the advice that there are 'no US laws about unlabeled medications' which is a very untrue statement.

Local police can seize unlabeled meds if you are pulled over for any reason!

It is better to be safe than sorry!

There is no U.S. law saying medications have to be in their original bottles.

The anti-'pill mill' laws in Florida can subject you to arrest for possessing a single narcotic pill without proof of prescription.

TSA in Florida airports will call in local LEOs for far, far less than "a bottle with 1000 pills" or a "3 month supply of narcotics"

Edited by fishywood

My wife and I pack our pills in the convenient daily containers (memory is not as good as it once was) but what we do, is get a printout of all our prescriptions from the pharmacist to pack with us, satisfies our need to have the info in case of emergency and for the destinations we visit, we have no concerns other than that.

We all have different experiences and that probably is because of the different amounts of meds we need to pack. Between my DH and I we would have 20 different prescription and over the counter meds taken on a daily basis. I am a RN and take the labels off the bottles and adhere them to ziplock bags. I have also asked my pharmacist for an updated list of meds. Most importantly, I know what each one is by looking at it, I know they change often but knowledge is helpful in any situation. If a TSA or customs official wanted to look at my 'stash'. I would know what they are and why they are needed. Keeping this list is critical if ever faced with a medical emergency and having the labels is important if any were damaged or missing. By the way - never take nitroglycerine out of the original dark bottle, air and light inactivate the effectiveness.

If I didn't have so many - I would bring each bottle - but this is just too much space - not just in the suitcase but in the cabin....

The anti-'pill mill' laws in Florida can subject you to arrest for possessing a single narcotic pill without proof of prescription.

TSA in Florida airports will call in local LEOs for far, far less than "a bottle with 1000 pills" or a "3 month supply of narcotics"

That's correct. The law does say you have to have proof of prescription, but nowhere does it say it has to be in the original bottles.

Unless it is a med that is controlled, such as Ativan, we don't take the bottles. Just pack enough for the trip and by the time we reenter the US the meds are gone.

Mary Lou

You may wish to rethink your method of bringing exact number of pills you expect to need. If you are delayed getting home for any reason, you should have an extra supply to cover you. What if you drop one? I always have about a week's worth of extra meds as I cannot risk going without.

There are so many reasons you could be delayed getting home.

There is no U.S. law saying medications have to be in their original bottles.

Try telling that to an obnoxious TSA agent. My dad was harassed by a TSA agent because of those days of the week pill holders. He was taken to a separate room by the agent. My mom experienced something similar, so much so that this TSA agent went through her wallet and asked her what business she had carrying so much cash (she was going to Vegas). I PERSONALLY saw an elderly woman have all her pills dumped out on one of those filthy TSA tables, and saw an agent handle the pills.

And don't even start saying they have no business doing this, because if you say one word, the cops are on your butt so fast, it makes your head spin.

Try telling that to an obnoxious TSA agent. My dad was harassed by a TSA agent because of those days of the week pill holders. He was taken to a separate room by the agent. My mom experienced something similar, so much so that this TSA agent went through her wallet and asked her what business she had carrying so much cash (she was going to Vegas). I PERSONALLY saw an elderly woman have all her pills dumped out on one of those filthy TSA tables, and saw an agent handle the pills.

And don't even start saying they have no business doing this, because if you say one word, the cops are on your butt so fast, it makes your head spin.

Don't even get me started on TSA. Unfortunately, they are civilians without law enforcement authority who occasionally get over zealous. The only arm of TSA that has any authority is the Air Marshals, and they are not working the terminals.

Print and carry this . . . http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html

You are right that some people have to bring their meds ashore with them and that could be a problem (possibly) if they are not kept in pharmacy labeled bottles.

Other than disembarkation, when and where was the last time you saw a customs official go through a cruisers personal possessions?

Two things....

One of the most aggressive TSA agent who ever opened my prescription bottles was at LAS.

Second, CPT Trips, Barbados on a port stop day. Police pulled a fellow passenger over as he entered the port facility and went through his meds. He was supposed to be on our excursion and we didn't know why he was missing until someone went back into the terminal to find him. The policeman had a dog with him and I guess that had something to do with it. So yes it does happen.

Within Canada and the US and between the two countries you should not have a problem, have done it many hundreds of times. However, the United Kingdom is very clear that prescription medications must be in the original bottles when going through their passport control.

Two things....

One of the most aggressive TSA agent who ever opened my prescription bottles was at LAS.

Second, CPT Trips, Barbados on a port stop day. Police pulled a fellow passenger over as he entered the port facility and went through his meds. He was supposed to be on our excursion and we didn't know why he was missing until someone went back into the terminal to find him. The policeman had a dog with him and I guess that had something to do with it. So yes it does happen.

TSA guy was well outside the scope of his duties. See earlier link.

It does happen indeed, rarely. Was the guy carrying contraband as well as Rx meds?

I know I sound like a broken record. Well since they don't make records a broken CD.

You are always wise to take the original bottles.

Some have said you should be alright. I don't like the word should when it comes to most things and would never want to take a risk.

I have seen customs people look closely at Medicine in many places around the world.

And you could be away when a terrorist event occurs and all bets are off when rules are quickly changed about what you can and can't take on the plane.

Sometimes in life it is best to be over cautious and when it comes to medicines which can make the difference in ones health I would error on caution.

And I base this on a lot of travel both for business when I worked and for pleasure.

Keith

Other than disembarkation, when and where was the last time you saw a customs official go through a cruisers personal possessions?

When dogs went whacko on a pier coming back to the ship in Mexico. They stopped a man and his wife when the drug sniffing dogs started barking, and went through their possessions. So, it can and does happen.

Dogs generally alarm on weed and explosives . . . Sometimes larger quantities of "white powder." I was thinking more of leaving the ship than returning from a cartel visit.

Bermuda police are agressive in combating dope. They have been known to search staterooms. From news reports the arrests that result are for illegal drugs.

Which closed loop cruise from a US port goes to Kotor? :rolleyes:

Edited by CPT Trips

I pack my meds in little medicine zip lock bags separated by days. I keep them all in a large ziplock bag and have never had a problem.

Fortunately, I have never had my bags examined going through customs.

This is exactly how I package my husband's pills. We have never had a problem and that includes two random bag checks by customs. One in US and one in Europe.

I do carry copies of original bottle labels in the ziplock bag but they have never been looked at nor needed.