Am I the only one in this day and age that feels that WIFI should be free to everyone

In a way, I'd love it to be free, so we can send pictures back home to family, etc., but for example, I was in the doctor's office yesterday and a lady was sitting besides me and I said, Do you care if I sit beside you and smiled and of course she said Yes, then I made a joke about I almost went to the wrong doctor's office (they have four different offices in my city) and she gave me no response or anything b/c she was on her phone. In the old days, a person would have started up a conversation. People don't socialize anymore like they use to.

They could just raise the fare a tiny bit and apply it towards WIFi and everyone would be happy.

I agree WIFI fees are high but to be honest I wouldn't want my fare raised just so someone else can get it for free. Especially when I seldom if ever use it. The only time I've used it in over 17 cruises was this last cruise when we were checking on the weather back home. We had severe storms come though our area and on the last sea day I was checking for road closures.

Let's see WiFi is free in many hotels, ports, dining establishments, hospitals, airports, doctor's offices, I could go on & on so what's wrong with the free WiFi on cruise ships?:rolleyes:

Since you used the sarcastic face, I'm assuming you already know the answer.

If it were free, everyone on the ship would use it. The speed would grind to a complete halt.

Then everyone could/would complain about it, and want credits because it wasn't available to them.

Then CC could have never ending threads about how much better wifi service was in the old days of cruising :rolleyes:.

Royal sees a vast ocean of opportunity (profit) with those who use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, texting, etc. If anything, I see the price of WiFi going up.

On that video about the Quantum technology reveal a couple weeks ago, Richard Fain indicated the price for Internet on Quantum class would be less because of the infrastructure capabilities in place. I'm assuming it costs less in the long run to deploy and maintain than the old? Not sure...

Of course that's still a huge revenue stream for RC. The connectivity isn't necessarily something we want in a cruise but I think we've outgrown RC's target market :)

On that video about the Quantum technology reveal a couple weeks ago, Richard Fain indicated the price for Internet on Quantum class would be less because of the infrastructure capabilities in place. I'm assuming it costs less in the long run to deploy and maintain than the old? Not sure...

Of course that's still a huge revenue stream for RC. The connectivity isn't necessarily something we want in a cruise but I think we've outgrown RC's target market :)

I agree with that.

Royal sees a vast ocean of opportunity (profit) with those who use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, texting, etc. If anything, I see the price of WiFi going up.

Interesting, however, I would expect the 3 sites you mention - Twitter, Facebook and Instagram - should be free. Brilliant marketing, allowing people to broadcast every detail of their fantastic Royal Caribbean vacation to their many social media followers. Look at me on the Flow Rider! Look at all these great desserts! Check out these views! Sail Royal Caribbean and all this can be yours too.....!

Interesting, however, I would expect the 3 sites you mention - Twitter, Facebook and Instagram - should be free. Brilliant marketing, allowing people to broadcast every detail of their fantastic Royal Caribbean vacation to their many social media followers. Look at me on the Flow Rider! Look at all these great desserts! Check out these views! Sail Royal Caribbean and all this can be yours too.....!

I agree with you, but following your idea would require a long term view on Royal's part, as opposed to the very short term view they seem to be taking on many of their most recent policy changes.

I agree with you, but following your idea would require a long term view on Royal's part, as opposed to the very short term view they seem to be taking on many of their most recent policy changes.

It's difficult to part with CapEx for a long term view when you have to answer to shareholders quarterly. It is better in the long run but the Street wants results now, now, now. It's a difficult position to be in.

I don't know what universe you've been living in OP - but nothing's free in this world. Somebody always ends up paying for it. I do use the internet while on a cruise but I don't expect other cruisers to subsidize my use.
So it's ok for other cruisers to subsidize use of the pool, theater, gym, and other free venues that every one does not use?

They could just raise the fare a tiny bit and apply it towards WIFi and everyone would be happy.

You have go to be kidding. Why do you expect everyone to kick in anything so you can browse the internet in the middle of the ocean?

If they are going to increase fares, put it to something that benefits every passenger...like stepping up the quality of the food, increasing the staff so they can provide the service they want to give their customers and not be spread so thin. I am sure I could think of others...but those two would be a good start.

TANSTAAFL

People who have jumped all over the OP..... relax... It's actually a fair question, although there is a legitimate reason why it's not practical (for now), which some posters have explained.

Let's face it.. "free" wifi is a big draw these days - in fact, it's expected in many other places, like hotels. These kids who are living on their phones and cannot imagine a daily life without twitter, imagur, facebook, instagram, etc etc are the ones who will be booking cruises in 10-20 years while the majority of the people here will have likely stopped cruising for various reasons, among which is we will be watching the "Price is Right" in our retirement homes.

So, when someone posts that WiFi should be free. I'm a little surprised at the reactions here. Sure, RIGHT NOW, it's cost prohibitive. But, in 5 years? 10 years? I'll bet dollars to donuts that in 10 years it's likely to be included in the price of the cruise. The OP is just a little ahead of their time, that's all :D

Before you jump onto the "why should I subsidize your internet habit" bandwagon... think about all of the things onboard that you use, and others may not use, which cost money (eg- flowrider, climbing wall, theatre shows etc etc). These are all part of marketing - and let's face it: like it or not - free wifi would be a huge draw to a good portion of the current generation, and even more so for the next.

Someone else posted it.. and I agree: I will not stay at a hotel that does not offer free wifi. But, 5-10 years ago, I was willing to pay for it.

People who have jumped all over the OP..... relax... It's actually a fair question, although there is a legitimate reason why it's not practical (for now), which some posters have explained.

Let's face it.. "free" wifi is a big draw these days - in fact, it's expected in many other places, like hotels. These kids who are living on their phones and cannot imagine a daily life without twitter, imagur, facebook, instagram, etc etc are the ones who will be booking cruises in 10-20 years while the majority of the people here will have likely stopped cruising for various reasons, among which is we will be watching the "Price is Right" in our retirement homes.

So, when someone posts that WiFi should be free. I'm a little surprised at the reactions here. Sure, RIGHT NOW, it's cost prohibitive. But, in 5 years? 10 years? I'll bet dollars to donuts that in 10 years it's likely to be included in the price of the cruise. The OP is just a little ahead of their time, that's all :D

Before you jump onto the "why should I subsidize your internet habit" bandwagon... think about all of the things onboard that you use, and others may not use, which cost money (eg- flowrider, climbing wall, theatre shows etc etc). These are all part of marketing - and let's face it: like it or not - free wifi would be a huge draw to a good portion of the current generation, and even more so for the next.

Someone else posted it.. and I agree: I will not stay at a hotel that does not offer free wifi. But, 5-10 years ago, I was willing to pay for it.

Good post!

If they are going to increase fares, put it to something that benefits every passenger...like stepping up the quality of the food, increasing the staff so they can provide the service they want to give their customers and not be spread so thin. I am sure I could think of others...but those two would be a good start.

TANSTAAFL

How much staff do they need? I just looked up Oasis for instance and they already have a ratio of one crew person for every 3 guests. If they increase the staff there won't be any room for them, they'll be sleeping in central park, and while that might make it more authentic it's probably not what we want.

I can see a day where the internet service will be included. Some lines already have an intranet that is included. DCL has free intranet and an app you can install on your phone or tablet that will show the daily schedules, menus deckplans etc. As the infrastructure improves and the market changes they will start discounting it and eventually someone will offer it at no additional charge. Once one line does it the pressure will be on the rest to do the same.

Ever paid a commercial satellite data bill or got a quote for new service? It is nothing like your average home Internet bill. Yes the cruise lines are making money, but not nearly as much as you think.

Unlimited Internet would be a nightmare for that many people in such a small area. Odds are the system wouldn't even work properly (in its current config) if every person on board tried to use 1 devices at the same time, let alone 2 that many people will have (phone and tablet). It can be done, but it requires a lot of equipment plus the people to support the clients and hardware itself. Supporting the equipment is easy, that can be done remotely. But someone has to support the physical hardware on board.

I'm interested in learning how they provide the level of service they are talking about on Quantum; I'll be it includes additional technologies beyond just a larger satellite link.

I go to tech conferences where the vendors who make the equipment have a challenging enough time making just the wireless connection work reliably, let alone Internet access. Many pull it off, but it is far from easy and requires a LOT of equipment and manpower to get it right.

Pure profit to the cruise line. Unlikely they'd give up that revenue stream that costs then nothing to provide.

But yes, I agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Great post.

I understand the desire and expectation for free internet access. It's everywhere (seemingly, but how is it the lowest 2-star motel has free wifi and the 5-stars charge a fortune? Same with coffee/breakfast, but that's another rant entirely)

However, disconnecting from the real world is one of the draws of cruising, and vacations in general. Yeah, sure, I just got back from a Disney vacation and it was nice to log in to their app to see how long the wait was at Space Mountain whilst I was across the park at the Haunted Mansion. I can see where certain websites/apps could be free on a ship (I'm sure I remember being able to log into the cruise line site for no cost a few cruises ago).

But really, if all you're going to do is surf the web, play games, check into social media, why bother going on vacation? It's all cheaper at home.