Room Service Dishes

cpa2be

We order room service one or twice during a cruise and have always left the dishes in our cabin. I assumed it was my cabin steward's responsibility to take care of these.

However, I also see many trays and dishes left outside in the hallways. Not sure who picks these up.

So my question is, what is the correct place to leave them?

many leave them in the hallway and they often stay there for sometime. I really feel this is a tripping hazard for those walking in the hall way especially in rough seas.

The lunch dishes were picked up rather quickly after I called. I had an activity at 2 pm and left the room. the dishes were gone.

I've never understood why people put their trays and dishes on the floor in the hallway where they immediately become tripping hazards (for yourself and others) and eyesores, sometimes for many hours. Why not leave them in your room and let your room steward get them?

You wouldn't throw your garbage out into the hallway, would you?

On my first cruise we had no idea where to leave the trays, so we left them in our cabin. However, during a conversation with my stateroom attendant, he mentioned that they should be left outside after calling room service to let them know they could be collected. This is also one of the messages on the TV which nobody ever watches!!

I believe the trays actually say on them to call room service to pick them up when done.

Gee - I've never noticed this before. :eek: I must have been in a hurry to dig into the honey stung chicken! :D

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I will call for pickup and let them tell me where to leave the dishes.

Please do not put trays in the corridor. First of all this is a hazard for tripping on them. Also since the corridors are not very wide consider folks who are in wheelchairs or using walkers.

Besides nobody wants to look at your leftover food.

Gee - I've never noticed this before. :eek: I must have been in a hurry to dig into the honey stung chicken! :D

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I will call for pickup and let them tell me where to leave the dishes.

4 cruises for me and no such notice on the trays! It happens on some ships apparently and not others.

Please do not put trays in the corridor. First of all this is a hazard for tripping on them. Also since the corridors are not very wide consider folks who are in wheelchairs or using walkers.

Besides nobody wants to look at your leftover food.

If we are asked to put them there, that is where we leave them!

However, I do agree that it isn't entirely practical leaving them on the floor.

Edited by jo24

I have always left them in the room, but I try to "organize" the dishes to make it easier for the cabin steward to remove them (empty any liquids, put all paper trash in one area, etc). I guess my thinking is a little selfish, but since I am a solo who makes no mess and the cabin steward only spends 20 minutes a day in my cabin, it's not a lot to ask of them. I hesitated about calling room service to pick up, thinking they were pretty busy still delivering trays, but I guess if they know about a pick up they can swing by on the way.

IMHO putting them outside the room is a hazard to everyone, and could be a safety issue in case of an emergency.

We stick them out in the hall in front of someone elses room...
Oh - so you must of been across from us on our last cruise. As that is what the people did next door. :(

YES it is does cause hazards for handicap people & even if not. In our case, my husband uses a scooter and we had a handicap room, the people across the hall always put there dirty tray right next to our door. WE had to move it everytime either trying to get in or coming out of our room. It was always in the way and husband could not turn without hitting it. One time my son came out and stepped right on it as it was so close to our door. It really was not fun or very nice.

When we get room service we tend to just leave it in the room and have it removed from there. Easy to do and not a big deal.

I have always left them in the room, but I try to "organize" the dishes to make it easier for the cabin steward to remove them (empty any liquids, put all paper trash in one area, etc). I guess my thinking is a little selfish, but since I am a solo who makes no mess and the cabin steward only spends 20 minutes a day in my cabin, it's not a lot to ask of them. I hesitated about calling room service to pick up, thinking they were pretty busy still delivering trays, but I guess if they know about a pick up they can swing by on the way.

IMHO putting them outside the room is a hazard to everyone, and could be a safety issue in case of an emergency.

I totally agree with you!!! I really do feel like it's a safety hazard.

BTW - I do the exact same thing with my dishes.... stack them neatly and such. That way, they don't really bother me while they are in my room waiting for the steward or whomever to collect them. I typically cruise with my mom and we share an inside cabin. So, two ladies, lots of stuff, and the tray in the room for a short while has never caused us any issues.

Melissa

. Also since the corridors are not very wide consider folks who are in wheelchairs or using walkers.

Thank you :) Between the attendants carts, scooters that are NOT suppose to be out there yet always are and room service trays, it can make it very tricky on us wheelchair bound people and those that have to use a walker.

Oh - so you must of been across from us on our last cruise. As that is what the people did next door. :(

YES it is does cause hazards for handicap people & even if not. In our case, my husband uses a scooter and we had a handicap room, the people across the hall always put there dirty tray right next to our door. WE had to move it everytime either trying to get in or coming out of our room. It was always in the way and husband could not turn without hitting it. One time my son came out and stepped right on it as it was so close to our door. It really was not fun or very nice.

I would have been sooooo tempted to put the dirty dishes RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR OWN DOOR!!!

I have always left them in the room, but I try to "organize" the dishes to make it easier for the cabin steward to remove them (empty any liquids, put all paper trash in one area, etc).

This is what we have always done. We condense the dishes as much as possible.

It does seem like quite a hazard to leave them in the hallway. There are enough carts, etc already in the hallway.

Depending on the time of day, it's a game of FROGGER to get down the hallway.:)

It is NOT OK to leave Room Service Trays/dishes in the hallway outside one's stateroom! If Royal Caribbean's onboard messages and employees say that it is, they are wrong.

#1: Who wants to look at dirty dishes as one walks down a corridor?

#2: Those who have mobility issues have to navigate through this obstacle course.

#3: And, most importantly, in an emergency and the power would go out, having such items in the hallway will create additional problems for an orderly evacuation of that area of the ship.

Either call Room Service and have them remove the Room Service items or leave those items within the stateroom and the Cabin Steward will do so.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I find it horrible when others do this. Or if you are going to do it, please call room service to pick it up and that you are leaving it. or else it stays there way too long. Its such a pet peeve of mine, I took a photo of when the people next to my room did this at a JW Philly on the concierge level. It was bad and they continued to add to it the following morning, almost blocking my door.

I had some choice words for the management as well, since it did sit there from early afternoon to overnight and in the morning when I left at 9 am., still there.

76615287_phillymarriotthallway1.jpg.c7aed3cfb4e8669ff7a601848b5126ac.jpg

308661324_phillymarriotthallwaymorning.jpg.674fee1a57ee03008b06352f8f439fa9.jpg

I always take them out and sit them outside my door in the hall way. Normally we do the breakfast and they are always gone when we come back.

my dw has enough stuff crammed in our room no room for dirty trays