Explorer Looks Great!

Just off Explorer today and can't see what all the complaining about it lately is all about. The ship looks great.

No bathrooms out of service

Lots of new carpet

Balconies being painted

Food portion size is fine

Food better than in the past

Drinks added to sea pass for Diamond and up is really nice (too good to last)

and more

There has been talk of propulsion issues' date=' did you have any problems? We are doing the repositioning on Nov 1st and so looking forward to be back onboard![/quote']

Yes, we did leave Bermuda and Labadee and hr early. We were still able to go between 19 and 21 knots all the time

Edited by SeaUs

We were also on this cruise and I couldn't agree more! Overall we had a fantastic cruise and wouldn't hesitate to sail on Explorer again. The reports that I'd read on here about the crew going above and beyond were spot-on. The majority of crew members that we encountered were outstanding.

Friend of mine works on RCI ships and has mentioned several times aout azzipods going bad on several different ships, Seams as though they were scrambling a little to get some of the ships to they're next scheduled dry dock for repairs. Explorer was one he mentioned.

That's really good to hear!!! How do they replace carpet during/in-between cruises?

They just replace sections both during the cruise and during turn around. They'll do one side of a staircase at a time or one part of a hallway. It's really not a big deal. We've seen carpeting being replaced on a couple of cruises. They don't tend to do large spaces such as the theater during a cruise. That's normally done during dry dock unless there's an issue such as a large leak that requires replacement.

Very interesting, never knew that. What about staterooms?

Not sure, but I would think normally during drydock since furniture would have to be moved out. We were on Freedom in Oct 2011, the cruise after the storm that caused flooding in some areas. They were replacing hallway and stairway carpeting. Our cabin apparently was one that had some flooding, but they dried it out and cleaned it. I know ours was affected because we had a message on our phone about it.

Edited by BND

Thank you so much for posting this! I am on the Nov. 15 southern Caribbean sailing out of Port Canaveral, and can't wait! I have never been on that particular class of ship and all of the ports will be new to me.

Ready to book for Jan.2015, couple of ???

Since there is no Diamond club, what drinks can you get with the loaded coupons on your card? Hubby likes beer or Vodka/tonic, I am good with wine. Do they still have the Diamond event?

Does anyone know when the next dry dock is scheduled?

It's been a over a year since we sailed on Explorer, but we remember a great cruise.

Thanks for the replies.

Since there is no Diamond club, what drinks can you get with the loaded coupons on your card? Hubby likes beer or Vodka/tonic, I am good with wine. Do they still have the Diamond event?

It's been a over a year since we sailed on Explorer, but we remember a great cruise.

Thanks for the replies.

I believe dry dock is scheduled for March 2015 in Cadiz, Spain.

Here is a very recent list of drinks available with the drink vouchers, courtesy of Carol:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

Thanks for the replies.

The Diamond event is held in 7 Hearts next to Dizzies in the Viking Crown, deck 14. We never went in as my wife and I had our son and her sister along who are not Diamond. We stayed in Dizzies as we like the view with drinks before dinner. When our bar server came along and saw our diamond cards on the table, we were not charged our free drinks. He gave us all free drinks. That seemed only to apply to this particular server. He was tipped extremely well!

I believe dry dock is scheduled for March 2015 in Cadiz, Spain.

Here is a very recent list of drinks available with the drink vouchers, courtesy of Carol:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

That card is accurate except for the time. On Explorer it is 5:00 until 8:30

Edited by SeaUs

Just off Explorer today and can't see what all the complaining about it lately is all about. The ship looks great.

Lots of new carpet

Balconies being painted

and more

Agreed! She's a beautiful and very well cared-for ship. After having read some of the comments on here, when we boarded this past May, I was expecting a mess .. but couldn't be farther from the truth .... Explorer is in terrific shape!

Only one thing I noticed was a hasty paint job on our balcony .. a few splatters here and there and a little sloppy ... but that's small potatoes.

Loved the ship !!

Lots of new carpet

Balconies being painted

and more

We got off on the 20th of Oct. Did a Galley tour. The executive Chef told us they just received an award best food in the fleet. We had wonderful meals.

The food in the MDR really was great. Our servers were outstanding and the chef randomly came by our table a few times--he seemed like a really nice guy. I didn't have a bad dish the entire 9 night cruise! One of our friends got a sub-par creme brûlée one night, but otherwise we all agreed that the MDR food was great. (The Windjammer was ok, but about what we expected for buffet food)

Now I understand why some of the Explorer fans are sad that this ship is going to Europe and Asia. I'd gladly sail on Explorer again, but doubt that a trek to Europe or Asia is in the cards...

Thanks for the heads up we are on the next cruise-Thursday!

Harry we are also sailing Thursday along with you and are also happy to hear that Explorer is NOT in bad shape. We last sailed her June of last year same itinerary and it was one of our most enjoyed cruises ( we have over 60 various lines ).

Small concern about propulsion since this is a longer sailing but fingers crossed all is well enough in that area.

George in NY :)

Yes, we did leave Bermuda and Labadee and hr early. We were still able to go between 19 and 21 knots all the time

SeaUs thank you for the timely report, we sail Thursday. Not new to the Explorer but always happy to hear from someone that just sailed.

Thanks,

George in NY