Onboard credit not honored

Debzee53

They will need to have a hard copy to send in for verification.

Even with a laptop, you will not be able to connect to a printer to print anything out.

...Printed copies are now on my packing list.

Exactly. If you download to your iPad or whatever, there's no way to get a hard copy and the PSD has to fax the copy/copies to CA in order to get approval to apply the OBC. Having the electronic version will help you feel better but don't expect the PSD to honor it. They can't without CA's approval.

Thanks for the heads up! :eek:

I just went into my booked cruise information and printed out the credit section with our on board credits! I don't want to have to go through what the OP did.

I have so much paperwork that will be going with us besides the cruise. I have in my folder just for this vacation the shuttle, airline tickets, hotel, cruise and car rental. Sheesh!:D

I hope everything works out for the OP.

This is similar to any financial transaction that I am involved. I always get a paper copy showing the transaction (this case OBC) and any justification I can get for it. I always get a copy of my folio and my partner's which posts on my CC not long after boarding. Any discrepancies I bring up to either the Bursar for resolution. Unfortunately good business practice requires a paper trail to verify all transactions. Work of mouth will not cut it ever. About every two days I get a hard copy of my and my partner's folio and check it for any discrepancies. If I find one it is down to the Bursar immediately for resolution with any documentation I have in hand.

So far my only problem was a missed stockholder's OBC. I noticed it on day one and went to see the Bursar with my stock statement, fax copy where it was faxed to Princess and OBC statement before I boarded. They made copies and it was on my account by the next day.

Always carry printed proof of all OBC and payments.

Check your folio at least every other day for discrepancies.

Regarding hard copies, do you all wait until right before you leave to print the copies? My thinking is that if you print them weeks before sailing, there could be some doubt at the PSD that the information on them is current. ie, maybe you re-fared or changed cabin categories and lost some OBC, etc......

I printed mine out yesterday for a Nov sailing, but I think I'll reprint right before I leave just in case. They have a date at the bottom showing exactly when they were printed.

Please still write Customer Service.
Yes, it sounds like the phone conversation got a little bit testy, and I hope the supervisor was not serious when she suggested that a written request would not receive any additional consideration.

However, if the OP has no screenshots or print-outs, and the OBC is not mentioned in any invoices or e-mails from Princess, it's going to be hard to convince them. I would ask if they would please look at the exact time of the booking and check for promotions that were active at that time, or even computer glitches that were reported in that time frame that may have affected other customers, too. Even if they don't come up with anything (or don't bother to look), they should still answer the OP, and a nicely worded letter may put them in more of a mood to include a goodwill gesture in their response.

Regarding hard copies, do you all wait until right before you leave to print the copies? My thinking is that if you print them weeks before sailing, there could be some doubt at the PSD that the information on them is current. ie, maybe you re-fared or changed cabin categories and lost some OBC, etc......

I printed mine out yesterday for a Nov sailing, but I think I'll reprint right before I leave just in case. They have a date at the bottom showing exactly when they were printed.

My TA has always sent them with my final payment notice, but, if I was printing them myself, I would print them just before I left, simply because (rarely) we have picked up more after final payment, just as you said.

Exactly. If you download to your iPad or whatever, there's no way to get a hard copy and the PSD has to fax the copy/copies to CA in order to get approval to apply the OBC. Having the electronic version will help you feel better but don't expect the PSD to honor it. They can't without CA's approval.

Sure, you can! You can use Internet minutes, email it to yourself and print it out. I've done it before. Email myself saved documents, and print them out.

Edited by redtogo

I too always print out the OBC details, summary, etc. I have a Princess cruise coming up with a $200 OBC. I have printed out the credits page to take with me onboard. Never done a sailing without printing out everything and taking with me.

Though on the upcoming cruise my reservation through the TA also states we get dinner in a specialty restaurant one night. I don't see that anywhere referenced in the booking, other than a document from the TA. Which I will take that along with us too.

Sure, you can! You can use Internet minutes, email it to yourself and print it out. I've done it before. Email myself saved documents, and print them out.
Technically, you're right. However, you must have an Internet connection, pay for it and pay for each page printed. Why not just print out what you need before leaving home?

My point was that you can't expect to show up at the PSD with your smartphone, tablet or netbook and say, "See?" You have to produce a hard copy either printed and brought with you or printed on the ship.

Edited by Pam in CA

Technically, you're right. However, you must have an Internet connection, pay for it and pay for each page printed. Why not just print out what you need before leaving home?

My point was that you can't expect to show up at the PSD with your smartphone, tablet or netbook and say, "See?" You have to produce a hard copy either printed and brought with you or printed on the ship.

Hummmm....you said "there's no way to get a hard copy", but there is

So, you ended up with a credit card bill larger than it should have been because you were not credited with your OBC.

If they will not work with you or your TA if you used one, have you considered challenging the bill with your credit card company explaining to them why it is too high and hopefully being able to send them documentation? Let them fight it out for you.

This should be a last resort if they will not do the right thing without this step.

I recall reading that on the cruise personalizer only onboard credits given by Princess will show. Credits from your agency will show up on your account after you board the ship.

Does anyone know if this is true?

These days it does show up along with other OBC listed. It is listed as "Travel agent promotion."

This is true if it is OBC that the TA "purchased" with amenity points from Princess. If it is a true gift of OBC from the TA (or anybody else), it will not show up in the personalizer so that the "surprise" of receiving a gift is not lost.

Edited by caribill

I recall reading that on the cruise personalizer only onboard credits given by Princess will show. Credits from your agency will show up on your account after you board the ship.

Does anyone know if this is true?

With the current Personalizer you see much more than before. Right now I show Military, TA (formed a group and gave us all credit instead of the 'free' berth), FCC credit and a Princess sale booking credit.

Log into My Princess, select the Personalizer for the cruise you want and on the main page is a row of eight square buttons near the top of the page. Click on the payments and credits button, third one over.

If they will not work with you or your TA if you used one, have you considered challenging the bill with your credit card company explaining to them why it is too high and hopefully being able to send them documentation? Let them fight it out for you.

If the OP had documentation, we wouldn't be having this discussion… And without it, I don't think they'll get very far with their CC company.

We always request a list of all OBC from our Travel Agent right before we leave home. Then we check our account as soon as we board and resolve any discrepancies before we leave the dock.

Our next two cruises have prepaid gratuities and I just checked with Princess to make sure that showed up on our reservations and it did, but I will still check it again as soon as we board.

We always request a list of all OBC from our Travel Agent right before we leave home. Then we check our account as soon as we board and resolve any discrepancies before we leave the dock.

Sometimes they do not post all of the OBC by boarding time. I usually find it is all posted by the first full day on board.

I not only carry documentation with me on every cruise but get a daily printout of the account. Two cruises ago on the second day of the cruise, I noticed on the printout that I had a bar charge. While it wasn't a large amount, I wanted it off the bill since I had no drinks. I went to the Passenger Services desk and showed her my printout and explained I wanted the charge off. She said she would have to get the signed bar bill to check. No problem and I told her I would wait. I didn't want to go back later and explain the story again. Since I went to the desk early in the am after I exercised, the Passenger Services desk had nobody else waiting to be helped. About 5 minutes later she comes back with the bill. On the top of the page it had my name and cabin number, but a very unusual signature. The signature was of a man ( I am female ) with a totally different first and last name. I was asked if that was a friend of mine. I told her I had never heard of him before. Then she looked up his name and he was in a different cabin of course. At that point, she said it takes 24 hours to show up correctly on the printout. I took her name card and number and thanked her for her help. The

printout the next day had the correction. After that, I do a daily printout and check everything. Doesn't take much time and it is a worthwhile thing for me to do.

Sali

I once had a bar charge for 111 glasses wine in The Wheelhouse. :)

For sure I didn't drink that much.

They actually had to check with the waiter to get it cleared up. It appears he just kept hitting "1" trying to get it to register.

I am certainly glad I had checked my account. :p

Our next two cruises have prepaid gratuities and I just checked with Princess to make sure that showed up on our reservations and it did, but I will still check it again as soon as we board.

We have prepaid gratuities on a cruise in March, but I don't see it on the Cruise Personalizer, only from the confirmation from the TA. Did you see it on your account, or did you call Princess to verify the credit?

I guess this is why I sat at my computer the other day and printed out every doccument I could find related to our upcoming cruise. Thank you for reminding me why it is important to do so. I would much rather have all those printouts and not need them than not have them and wish I did. I will be sure to monitor our account onboard every day as well.

OP, I hope you are able to get the credit you were supposed to get.

Though I am also surprised the OP doesn't have at least the email with the cruise booking when they did the booking to begin with. I save every single email I get regarding a cruise and keep them all until after the sailing. I would think the booking confirmation would also show the OBC.

You could also download all “paperwork” to your iPad and avoid taking the actual papers. Wait about 2 days into the cruise, and then print out your statements at the little kiosk near the Customer Relations desk on the CB. Then compare what Princess says your credits are with what you have received before leaving home. Be sure to request both statements at the kiosk (1 for each person in the cabin). That way you will have proof in your hands. We sailed on the CB a couple of weeks ago, and I thought there was a discrepancy, then discovered that I only had printed out MY statement--once I printed out my DH’s statement, it was OK.

The ipad method didn't work for me. My credit finally came through but I had to spend a lot if time in line and fussing with it. iPads don't photocopy and the desk people always wanted a hard copy. They didn't have an email address they were willing to share so in the future as much as I hate it I'm taking paper. At least it will be paper to jot notes in the back of if everything comes through ok.

Sent from my iPad using Forums