Freedom Class - Dynamic Dining?

Treacher1

As a traditional dining lover on cruises, I was disappointed to hear that both Oasis and Allure are converting to Dynamic Dining. We were told RCI would see how it works out on Quantum before POSSIBLY converting - now these ships are converting before we even see how it is working out on Quantum. Also, some have said RCI is giving a choice - some ships will have Dynamic others not. So, I hope that is true. Does anyone know if Freedom class ships will also be converting? We booked Liberty so we could have traditional dining. Not trying to start a rumor - just asking. Anyone who cruised lately get any information? or speculation? Thanks

We are sailing Quantum and will form our opinion after that - but was hoping to still do traditional dining on Liberty next year?

The only firm information is that Oasis class ships are converting to it. Oasis in dry dock now with roll out expected in the Spring and Allure expected with her dry dock next Spring.

It has been suggested that Freedom of the Seas may be converting to DD with her upcoming January '15 dry dock, but that seems to be unconfirmed now with recent rumors. Nothing to my knowledge has been discussed regarding any other ship in that class, or any other ship class.

The only firm information is that Oasis class ships are converting to it. Oasis in dry dock now with roll out expected in the Spring and Allure expected with her dry dock next Spring.

It has been suggested that Freedom of the Seas may be converting to DD with her upcoming January '15 dry dock, but that seems to be unconfirmed now with recent rumors. Nothing to my knowledge has been discussed regarding any other ship in that class, or any other ship class.

Rumours about Adventure. Either Captain or HD said that they would get it during their dry dock in 2016...but what do they know.

I have no inside nformation, but I will say that I booked FOS for April 2015 about 3 weeks ago, and only MTD was available, no early or late seating. To suppose it is possible for these to be full six ,on this in advance, but seems strange to me. My thought was that Royal is hedging their DD bets by not offering early or late seating assignments.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have no inside nformation, but I will say that I booked FOS for April 2015 about 3 weeks ago, and only MTD was available, no early or late seating. To suppose it is possible for these to be full six ,on this in advance, but seems strange to me. My thought was that Royal is hedging their DD bets by not offering early or late seating assignments.

I think they default to MTD to get you to sign up for prepaid grats. have never had a problem, so far, converting from MTD to 1st or 2nd seating a few weeks later. Obviously that will change once MTD, 1st seat and 2nd seat go away in favor of DD

I booked over the phone, and the rep certainly made it sound like I didn't have a choice. I didn't mind--I wanted MTD--but that seems a tish bit dishonest to tell a customer they can't book early or late seating when there is availability.

We're booked as Early seating for April 2015 on Freedom...

I believe personally it is more than this!

I couldnt get late traditional or early on the Voyager with a booking over a year out with an almost empty ship. (cruise is post dry dock)

I believe RCI will convert to DD on some ships with MTD only on others and in the proses eventually obtaing pre paid non refundable grats from all passengers.

It is only my thought and opinion and I actually like pre paid grats but we will see in the future if I am way wrong:)

We are booked on Freedom in July 2015 and were assigned early seating. I have not changed our time yet as I keep hearing the rumors about dynamic dining changes after the dry dock. I like MTD but just haven't changed anything yet until I hear more info

Edited by Kycruisefan

I think they default to MTD to get you to sign up for prepaid grats. have never had a problem, so far, converting from MTD to 1st or 2nd seating a few weeks later. Obviously that will change once MTD, 1st seat and 2nd seat go away in favor of DD

It's a money thing!

If they get prepaid grats from everybody that's roughly $4.8 million a week in the bank earning interest from final payment day till end of month after cruise when it's paid out to crew!

That's a lot of interest going straight to the bottom line!

Pure profit!

We don't book directly with Royal. We have a travel agent and are booked for late dining on FOS for June 2015.

We are on June 21, late seating as well. 1st was closed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Rumours about Adventure. Either Captain or HD said that they would get it during their dry dock in 2016...but what do they know.

Knowing how we have seen Royal operating, that might be official fact, subject to change in the many months till then.

I'm with you - kind of disappointed over the loss of the traditional MDR. We liked having the same table and servers all week, along with a rotating menu. The restaurant style dining, with a fixed menu in each restaurant, just doesn't appeal to me. (Even Norwegian, with its Freestyle concept, still has a traditional MDR option on their ships). A huge reason why we choose cruising over other types of vacation is that we don't have to make decisions about where/when to eat and what to do at night - we like to just show up for dinner and the evening show at the appointed time without thinking and without reservations.

We are trying Quantum next month, but will wait to book Liberty for next summer to make sure that they haven't converted to DD. Otherwise, we'll jump ship to Celebrity, Princess or anyone else who still offers a traditional MDR.

Edited by DonnaK

On the other hand, I was really excited to hear the Captain and Hotel manager were announcing Dynamic Dining for Freedom.

My hopes are diminishing though as that appears to not be the truth at all now :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I was really excited to hear the Captain and Hotel manager were announcing Dynamic Dining for Freedom.

My hopes are diminishing though as that appears to not be the truth at all now :rolleyes:

We'll just find out in January.

We liked having the same table and servers all week, along with a rotating menu. The restaurant style dining, with a fixed menu in each restaurant, just doesn't appeal to me. (Even Norwegian, with its Freestyle concept, still has a traditional MDR option on their ships).

I didn't even think about the menus bring "fixed". That is kind of a bummer.

I didn't even think about the menus bring "fixed". That is kind of a bummer.

Fixed still has about 8 entrees and possibly the everyday favorites for those less adventurous. ;)

It's a money thing!

If they get prepaid grats from everybody that's roughly $4.8 million a week in the bank earning interest from final payment day till end of month after cruise when it's paid out to crew!

That's a lot of interest going straight to the bottom line!

Pure profit!

I was starting to think I was the only one that understood this.

I booked over the phone, and the rep certainly made it sound like I didn't have a choice. I didn't mind--I wanted MTD--but that seems a tish bit dishonest to tell a customer they can't book early or late seating when there is availability.

I booked in August, using a TA and asked for early seating main dining and was told it was not an option - could not even be wait listed and was offered MTD. OK, not what I wanted but that works. Guess we'll have to wait until after January to find out the real story.