Next Cruise credit sucks - am I missing something?

I think you were fortunate. Others have said they lost OBC when they made changes--they were put down to the lower next cruise certificate amount. We were also told we could make a change and keep the original OBC, but we shall see.

We just made a change yesterday to a cruise we originally booked with one of the "old" NCCs (got another $272 price drop on our FOS cruise) and while our balcony discount dropped by $25 (inside six months), our OBC stayed at $100. This is actually the fourth change we've made to this booking number which was originally booked on Vision; switched to FOS; took advantage of the BOGOHO sale (price drop); BOGOHO price dropped again; and then yesterday we got a third BOGOHO price drop.

Like everything else at RCL, it appears that what happens to your OBC/etc. is hit or miss.

Edited by orville99

We just made a change yesterday to a cruise we originally booked with one of the "old" NCCs (got another $272 price drop on our FOS cruise) and while our balcony discount dropped by $25 (inside six months), our OBC stayed at $100. This is actually the fourth change we've made to this booking number which was originally booked on Vision; switched to FOS; took advantage of the BOGOHO sale (price drop); BOGOHO price dropped again; and then yesterday we got a third BOGOHO price drop.

Like everything else at RCL, it appears that what happens to your OBC/etc. is hit or miss.

That was true with the old NCCs. Jury is still out under the new rules. Some have had their OBC lowered and others haven't. I'm sure it depends on who processes the change.

The "old" ones are grandfathered in under the old rules. You can still change them without penalty.

The "old" ones are grandfathered in under the old rules. You can still change them without penalty.

What is the date of the old rules vs. the new rules? And would it have matter that we did not do a future cruise but actually booked a specific cruise? (even though we changed it 3 times).

I'm just happy it worked out well for us. I hope it works well for others, too :)

What is the date of the old rules vs. the new rules? And would it have matter that we did not do a future cruise but actually booked a specific cruise? (even though we changed it 3 times).

I'm just happy it worked out well for us. I hope it works well for others, too :)

It changed 3/1515. It does not matter if it is an actual bookings (we have 2 of those prior to 3/15) or an open booking. You can retain the OBC if you change any that were bought prior to 3/15/14

Edited by molly361

I just looked at my certificate. Old rates were 3-5 nights $25, 6-9 $100, 10-14 $150, and 15+ nights $200. I bet it's going to be fun when I go to apply this.

I think you will be okay for a while but after a couple of years pass it might get harder. I remember a couple of posts from people that had WAY OLD reservations booked back when you could stack benefits and get price drops after final payment. Apparently they were NOT able to use the perks that were applicable back when they originally booked.

I guess too much time has passed.

Thanks. I booked mine onboard after that - in April, 2014. But like I mentioned, I booked a cruise, not a next cruise certificate because that's what the agent onboard suggested I do.

I was told the same thing, but some people have lost OBC anyway. Again, no consistency. I'll see what happens when we make a change.

The FCC allows you to keep more of YOUR money in YOUR bank account, longer. Rather than the cruise lines or your TAs.And yes, the OBC credits are not that much. But, for heaven's sake . . . IT'S FREE MONEY!

It's just not worth quibbling over ... consider it a $75 price increase (something you wouldn't realize unless you spent hours on end perusing the sites). The reduced deposit remains at $200 ($100/pp), so you get to keep $300 a little longer. Invest it ... maybe you can earn back the $75.

We booked Future Cruise in the past, while on board, then transferred to our TA after the cruise. In June, we discovered the change when I went to book a future cruise and decided the $25 wasn't even worth the time it took. The $100 deposit just means that the balance is higher so either way, you're paying the same rate. I don't think Royal values future cruise bookings.

We always stay in an inside cabin and we still always keep one NCC, even after the change. Our main reason is the reduced deposit. We prefer 10+ night cruises and usually have several booked at once. With up to $900 per cruise and regurally have 5-7 cruises booked at once on a rolling two year period is a lot of money to tie up. $1200-$1400 vs $4500-$6300.

The previous higher OBC was definitely nicer, but still will take what they give. We also will still book a WOW sale when they have 1/2 deposit and the higher OBC.

Booked a balcony in April 2014 7 night for 2015 and wanted to change to a balcony on an 8 night cruise in 2016. They reduced the OBC to $50. So RCCL did not allow a change for me so cancelled as not willing to accept the reduced OBC. I will book onboard for reduced deposit and $150 in OBC.

Thank goodness I had booked a bunch of NCC before they changed the rules. When the BOGOHO first came out, I used all my NCC and got great prices on the cruises plus the OBC.

Now would NEVER get another NCC. If I am going to lose or get a lesser OBC when I actually book, just not worth it. We go on enough cruises, I will just book a real cruise on the ship.

And now that you get nothing for 3/4 nighers, I just watch prices and book last minute or when prices drop.

Lower deposit means nothing to me, you have to pay it at some point. So no more NCC for me. I go to the LA and book the cruise date I want so I get the OBC and then I am good to go.

I think you will be okay for a while but after a couple of years pass it might get harder. I remember a couple of posts from people that had WAY OLD reservations booked back when you could stack benefits and get price drops after final payment. Apparently they were NOT able to use the perks that were applicable back when they originally booked.

I guess too much time has passed.

We still have an old one that has Friends & Family certificates. We are going to try and use it with friends for a 2016 TA. Wish me luck! :D;):)

I currently have 3 long cruises booked, using future cruise bookings, I have $600 tied up with deposits. Otherwise, it would have been $2,700. You do the math!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree! and if you have to cancel whats there to loose?

When you book long cruises the $100 initial charge paid out is nothing and to only have to hand over another $100pp at booking is the real bonus of these certificates in my opinion.

I will still buy them every cruise even if the OBC was zero, $100 once spent is easy forgotten about until you book another cruise and only have to hand out another $100 for a twin share deposit:)