Princess versus Holland America

mamaofami

We've been asked by some friends to join them on a TA on Princess next fall. Can someone who has sailed both please compare them for me. How are the cabins? Are they the same size as on Hal? I'm not as concerned about entertainment , but do want to know about food , beds and staff. The ship is the Island Princess.Thanks you very much.:)

Entertainment a bit better on Princess. Food similiar.

Beds on HAL, you are in heaven, not on Princess(but getting better).

Balconies and below on Princess no sofas in cabin.(sofa starts with Mini Suites)However the cabins feel about same size as HAL.Princess ships prettier. Princess closets are huge with nice dressing area.

Full suites on HAL nicer.

More activities during the day and evening on Princess.

We cruise mostly Princess but once a year do a HAL cruise.

Just saw it is the Island Princess. Love the ship, was on in April this year.

Edited by san diego sue

We have done a couple of HAL cruises in the past year, due to itinerary, and agree that the two lines are very similar. Posters on the HAL boards say the service is better on HAL, but in general I don't see a difference. I prefer the buffets On HAL, the entertainment on Princess and dining room about the same. I love the International Cafe on Princess, but not sure the Island has one.

Compared to the S- and R-Class HAL ships, Princess cabins are a bit snug; you will not have a sofa or a bathtub unless in a mini-suite (equivalent to HAL deluxe verandah).

MDR food and service are essentially the same. Big advantage to Princess on grazing between meals (which is a way of life on a Transatlantic): buffet is open and fully stocked continuously from breakfast until 11 or midnight; the burger grill, pizza slices, and afternoon tea goodies are vastly superior to HAL's offerings.

As for the crew: Princess' officers are not quite as interactive as on HAL; the dining/bar/housekeeping crew on Princess is more diverse (from Eastern Europe, the Caribbean and Mexico) than the near-exclusive hiring from Indonesia and The Philippines you find on HAL. On all lines there is usually a large turnover just before a repositioning cruise, so many crew members will be learning a new ship with you, especially with a bunch of sea days in a row. [i can't tell from your history if you have ever taken a TA before; the first one will be quite an experience--and likely not your last]

ETA re beds: Island Princess will be undergoing a major refit next spring; we won't know if that includes new mattresses throughout until she sails after. If you arrive in your cabin and find yours unsatisfactory, many have reported their steward able to exchange it.

Edited by fishywood

Thank you.

I'm most concerned about the beds which I've read range from awful to OK. Any opinions, please?

In my opinion the beds on Princess are terrible. The words "concrete" and "slab" come to mind! I always hear that they are replacing mattresses but in 7 cruises we've never had one that was comfortable. HAL rules in this regard.

In my opinion the beds on Princess are terrible. The words "concrete" and "slab" come to mind! I always hear that they are replacing mattresses but in 7 cruises we've never had one that was comfortable. HAL rules in this regard.

Most complaints are that Princess mattresses are too hard, but on my last three Princess cruises (Coral, Star, Grand) they have all been absolute mush. Reports are that newer replacements do have pillow tops, though still not comparable to those on HAL. We will know in late May if Island has all new ones after her refit.

Cabins? The cabins on Princess tend to be smaller, with tiny bathrooms, except for mini suites and better, BUT the storage space IMO is far better on Princess.

I prefer the food and entertainment also on Princess, but not by much.

All other things being equal, I would always sail Princess, but, HAL is not very far behind in my book.

john

We were on the Island in September and our bed was very comfortable. We always used to request an egg crate in advance for our Princess cruises because the mattresses were so awful, but the last two cruises (Royal and Island) the beds have been very satisfactory.

I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL and Elite on Princess.

Overall, I've found the food and service to be noticeably better on Princess. The buffet is open continuously from 6am-11pm and doesn't close after breakfast, lunch or dinner which means you can have a full late breakfast or come back from an afternoon tour at 2pm and have a full lunch in the buffet. Food is subjective but I prefer the Princess buffet over the HAL. Tables are pre-set so you don't have to scurry around to find tableware and there's tableside beverage service.

Cabin sleeping space tends to be smaller on Princess but storage much, much better. I hate the HAL beds as I find them way too soft and I always wind up with a sciatica flare-up. The mattresses on Princess are pillowtop and very comfortable. Every Princess cruise I've taken in the past three years has had pillowtop mattresses, including the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal, and Sapphire. The vast majority of complaints about Princess beds are from years ago and no longer the case.

You can't order from the dining room as room service on Princess unless you've booked a full suite.

There are far more daytime activities and night life on Princess than HAL.

Pam has been I visited by the mattress fairy. I have been on two Primness cruises and loved them except for the mattresses. Both cruises were in 2014, one on the Diamond and one on the Grand. They were not pillow tops and everyone in my party complained. We did have egg crate toppers on the Grand (doubled queens made to fit a twin) but still not very comfy. I am hoping good mattress karma comes our way for our June sailing on the Crown. Other than that, we really enjoyed Princess.

Edited by rpcv77
Error in word

On the Island we had pillow top on mattress however we were in a Mini Suite. Don't know about the other cabins.

Have been on 6 cruises with Princess this year. Only mattresses that felt really good was on the Island and the Royal.

Our cabin on The Star didn't have it although year before it did(different cabin).

I usually order an egg crate in advance but now I just wait till we are on board and see if needed.

Pam has indeed been blessed with only pillow tops on her beds. We have not been so lucky. Except for cruises on the new Royal, we have only had a pillow top mattress twice in our last 5 cruises in two years. You can't count on getting a pillow top on Princess. We have just cancelled a 28 day cruise because of this issue.

I like the food on both lines and enjoy shaking it up. On Princess I know what every dinner will have on the menu before we even get on the ship. Yes, we are ready for a change.

We are Elite on Princess and 2 Star Mariners on HAL.

Cheers, Denise

Sailed the crown princess and westerdam earlier this year a few weeks apart from one another, I'd happily go back on he westerdam, I wouldn't go back on the crown. What were the differences? Better food and service on the westerdam. The westerdam was much less crowded. I liked the richer decor of the holland america ship, vs the bland mall decor on the crown. I also thought pinnacle grill was far nicer than crown grill. I also liked having a great observation lounge like the crows nest on holland america

Thank you.

I'm most concerned about the beds which I've read range from awful to OK. Any opinions, please?

If you are accustomed to sleeping on a firm mattress, you should be fine.

I have never had a problem with Princess mattresses, but then, I like firm ones and always sleep well on cruises.

We only experienced HAL once, and Princess five times. Maybe it was not the best HAL cruise, but service in cabin and MDR was much weaker than on Princess. Lunch buffets were more interesting on HAL, but food overall was better on Princess. HAL did have larger staterooms and better bedding. Ship decor and ambience was better on Princess.

Island has been one of the best ships on Princess (along with Coral) because its Panamax design included lots of public space, so it never felt crowded. Unfortunately they are adding 120 extra cabins, wiping out the aft portion of the Promenade Deck and one of the theaters. No one can know yet how these changes will affect the experience on the ship, but one thing is sure: it won't improve it.

11 cruises on Princess - 1 on HAL. HAL would have to be free to get us go book them again, but God Princess beds are awful. Hopefully all mattresses will be replaced soon. Last one on Ruby was ok. I can't see how anyone who likes HAL would not like Princess.

I have sailed on both Princess & Holland many times & prefer Princess. The full suites Aft on Holland often have wrap around balconies & they have a special lounge for suite passengers where they will make all your restaurant & tour reservations. My husband & I like to retreat to our cabin for peace & quite during the day or an early evening Princess offers 2 T.V's Holland only 1.

To us they are different - thye each have their good & bad features - it's all personal preference - Happy Cruising no matter what cruise line you pick

HAL a bit more "civilized" and Princess a bit more "casual fun."

Contrary to most we found the food and service a bit more upscale on HAL and have never had a bad bed on any cruise on any line - including HAL and Princess.

The real difference likely lies in the ship, the cabin/location, the itinerary, and the price. We wouldn't hesitate to cruise on either one - they'll both be great!