Cruise medical crisis on Reflection (our experience)

qualtek

Hi QUALTEK,

First & foremost... Please know that your Dad is in Mr Sloop's & My thoughts & prayers... And best wishes to your Mom, Yourself & Family, that all of you may pull thru this horrible crisis.

Thank you for taking the time from your hectic schedule to post this valuable topic here on CC (truly thinking of others before yourself in this situation is beyond comendable)

Mr Sloop & I are also Canadians...

Your words are full of good information... And fair warnings for the unexpected

We love to travel... And stick by the old Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared"... Truly cannot believe the amount of friends / colleagues (including annual snowbirds) who Travel outside of Canada without Medical Insurance or an Effective Emergency Plan

Hopefully your post here will make a difference

Several years ago, we had an aging relative who ran into a medical situation while in Florida... they too ended up at Broward Health... Cannot say enough great things about this facility !! (so do know your Dad is in good hands). Anyways, long story shrt & 3 days later their med bills were into six digits. I am forever thankful that they got excellent medical care, and had Travel Health / Medical Insurance

That really opened our eyes... In that the UNEXPECTED can happen

We went from buying the one time long trip plan... To purchasing annual coverage, so now even for a day trip or cross border weekend to the US (In addition to our International Travels) we are covered

--- --- ---

To HOST JAZZBEAU,

Thank you for the info on MedJet Assist... Will investigate further

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I too am praying your Father makes a complete recovery and gets home again. How traumatizing it must be for all of you. We had a pax evacuated onr our last ACC cruise....details unknown but I know the staff did pack up the room for them. Also saw a medical evacuation in Athens last year.

As much as we dislike paying the travel insurance premiums, we always ask ourselves..."how much would we prefer to lose". As we age, one never knows....life is unexpected.

Bless you...hoping only to read a positive outcome for your Father.

Thank you for taking the time to share such valuable information. You are a GREAT daughter! It is challenging enough to juggle these issues in one's hometown--you did it so gracefully and supportively dealing with an international crisis. Kudos to you. And best wishes for your dad's full recovery and your mom's strength and peace. And hats off to X for the assistance they provided.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Artemis

Having seen the results from friends not having travel insurance and a tragic accident resulting in the death of a young person I always say if you can't afford the insurance you can't afford the trip. Not only did they lose a loved one they had over $180,000 in medical / return of body expenses plus their own expenses to be there. We have a cruise coming up and for 14 days land then 12 night cruise it was $145. Well worth it in my book. Our thoughts and prayers for a full recovery for your Dad, hugs to you and your Mum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I join everyone else in thanking you and sending good thoughts and prayers for your family.

I'm sure I'm not the only one pulling out my travel insurance details to read this morning for my next cruise.

I hated hearing about that doctor in SXM demanding cash from your mother's pockets. Although there are some kind people in the medical community, the Caribbean is Third World. I lived on a US island for years and everyone I knew traveled to the States for health care needs (and they still do.)

Thank you for posting and hope your Dad recovers well and soon!

Insurance costs goes up for cruisers age so it is $250 for trip insurance (including upgraded medical) for a 10 day Caribbean cruise for a 83 yr old. Definitely buying for "just in case".

Our prayers are with your family too. It's so good that your parents had cruise insurance, and they seem to have been treated very well by the insurance company. And Celebrity and Embassy Suites also deserve kudos.

But things might have worked out even better had your parents also joined MedjetAssist. For a reasonable annual fee they add evacuation by air medical transport services to the hospital of the member's choice in their home country and other benefits. For us, that would bring us straight home to NY. For your parents, straight to Toronto. [i checked, the basic membership is available to residents of the United States, Canada and Mexico.]

We joined on the basis of solid recommendations from Cruise Critic posters, including their reports of good experiences using the promised benefits. [Thankfully we haven't had occasion to test out the benefits ourselves.]

Once again, we're praying for a complete recovery and a return to cruising!

Thanks for posting the Medjet name..could not remember it. Looked into it previously but did not sign up. Aftet hear about this incident we will sign up as an adjunct to the usual cruiseline or pvt ins we always purchase...

hoping we will hear back that all is well for this family....

Best wishes , hoping for a speedy recovery

Did your insurance company offered to send your father back to Toronto, or was his medical condition to bad for a long flight ?

I have talk both , my credit card medical insurance and the coverage we get from our union medical plan, they both cover medical evacuation

Edited by Airbalancer

Thanks for posting the Medjet name..could not remember it. Looked into it previously but did not sign up. Aftet hear about this incident we will sign up as an adjunct to the usual cruiseline or pvt ins we always purchase...

hoping we will hear back that all is well for this family....

Best wishes to the OP and family...sounds like you are now in good hands.

MedJet.....but through AARP who gives a discount on this wonderful insurance.

Thank you for taking the time to share your family experience with us. My thoughts and prayers are with your dad for a very speedy recovery. What an ordeal for all of you! Glad he is back in Florida & getting the best care. Yes, we always take good travel insurance. While expensive, you can't be without it.

God bless!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank-you for taking the time to post your informative (and extremely well-written) account of your current ordeal. Your parents are lucky to have such a caring daughter.

Your situation is a perfect example of the need for good medical insurance. So many people think that because they are in good health, they need not be concerned about the extra cost. I have had "discussions" with friends who are convinced that their coverage through their credit cards or their employer's insurance is sufficient, and neglect to read the fine print.

There is a huge advantage in having an insurance company acting as an advocate on your behalf. The fact that the doctor in St. Maarten was angry that your Dad was being evacuated confirmed one of my fears -- that third world hospitals will most likely try to hold onto a patient as long as possible because their care generates much-needed income. The insurance company has the clout to take charge where an individual may well be powerless to act.

Hang in there. You have a lot of people praying for your Dad's speedy recovery.

We purchase travel insurance independently--have never used cruise line insurance because it doesn't offer the coverage we want. We have used Travel Guard several times and also other plans. We need a very good existing conditions clause because of elderly parents and also want those with high allowances for evacuation and medical treatment.

I usually Insure My Trip to compare policies. We have had to use policies three times when trips were cancelled for parent's illnesses, and the SARS crisis.

Also, please don't forgo travel insurance because you are not 'older'. Accidents and illnesses can happen at any time, to any age.

We especially look for coverage for catastropic circumstances, such as the OP's father. Although we wouldn't like it, we could eat the cost of the cruise itself if for some reason we couldn't go. Paying for treatments and evacuation that go into six figures would be another story.

I am surprised that the insurance company hasn't tried to have him evacuated to a Canadian facility. I would think it would be cheaper than covering the costs at a US facility. Perhaps he isn't stable enough for that trip yet? Hospital of choice is definitly a good option to have and we try to get that every time.

Hope everything works out and wishing a speedy recovery.

P.s. I lived in Canada until I was 25, but moved to the US and still live there now.

Thank you so much for sharing your dad's unfortunate saga of his medical emergency and all that is happening since then. My prayers are with all of you for strength, well being and a complete recovery for your dad. No body ever thinks they will be in your situation, but obviously, it happens more often than we think. Thank you for a well written account of your experience, blessings to you (and I hope you get to shop for a few new outfits!) and please keep us posted on the final outcome!

This medical crisis certainly emphasizes the need for good travel insurance. We always purchase medical/evacuation insurance since friends of ours had a medical emergency for which they had no coverage- certainly not to the extent of the OP. CC has a bunch of helpful information companies,coverage, comparisons etc. It is so worth the time to investigate.

Please do not be too upset/angry at the St. Maarten hospital & doctor requiring $$ on a credit card & cash. That is their standard policy for tourists.....That was my experience too. Those non-US hospitals DO NOT recognize any medical insurance except their own. My experience occurred when staying for a week on St. Maarten about 10 years ago, I fell & broke my arm....a doctor we visited sent me to that hospital's ER & a surgeon was called in....we had to pay $500 up front on our AmExpr card, I was treated in ER & not admitted. I took xrays back home & I was able to get Blue Cross to reimburse me 80%. At that time I was on company insurance & was not yet on Medicare.

Sorry about your parents' experience -- hoping your father gets stabilized so he travel back home.

My mother got very sick on a Princess Panama Canal cruise back in January of 2000 & had to be evacuated back to Ft. Lauderdale. She & my dad were taken off ship in the 2nd Gatun lock of the Canal. That was their last cruise & cruising had been their favorite activity! My sister & I & our husbands were also on that cruise with our parents -- because of space on the flight, we stayed on the ship, but certainly didn't enjoy the rest of the cruise worrying about our mother. That was before there was public internet service on cruise ships, so the medical center on the ship kept in touch with the Ft. Laud hospital for us & gave us updates several times per day.

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

Please do not be too upset/angry at the St. Maarten hospital & doctor requiring $$ on a credit card & cash. That is their standard policy for tourists.....That was my experience too. Those non-US hospitals DO NOT recognize any medical insurance except their own. My experience occurred when staying for a week on St. Maarten about 10 years ago, I fell & broke my arm....a doctor we visited sent me to that hospital's ER & a surgeon was called in....we had to pay $500 up front on our AmExpr card, I was treated in ER & not admitted. I took xrays back home & I was able to get Blue Cross to reimburse me 80%. At that time I was on company insurance & was not yet on Medicare.

To travel to Cuba , you need a letter that states you have travel medical insurance

From the government Canada website

Health insurance

You must present proof of health insurance in order to enter the country. Upon arrival, travellers may be required to present an insurance policy, insurance certificate or medical assistance card valid for the period of their stay in Cuba. Those who do not have proof of insurance coverage may be required to obtain health insurance from a Cuban insurance company when they arrive.

Temporary residents also have to hold valid health insurance policies.

Although proof of Canadian provincial health insurance is sufficient for visitors to enter Cuba, your provincial plan may cover only part of the costs and will not pay the bill up-front, as required. It is therefore recommended that you purchase supplemental health insurance. Note that some private insurers also require the traveller to pay costs up-front and be reimbursed later. Cuban authorities will not allow anyone with outstanding medical bills to leave the country.

All health insurance policies are recognized, except those issued by U.S. insurance companies, as they cannot provide coverage in Cuba.

For additional details on this requirement, please consult the Embassy of Cuba in Canada.

Thanks so much for telling this experience , especially in re insurance.

We are starting to look at insurance for our up coming TA in April 2015, and I honestly get to doing bare bones, no De luxe for us, all included from baggage flight cancelatin ,interuption medical and so on.

Cost for two for all the bells and whistles $700 for 3weeks. But now I will make sure that while we dont take the cats whiskers insurane, we will take the medical part that includes being air lifted.

Linda , would you mind telling me the inssurance comp you used, they sound like the type that would be on your side if needed. Certainly send good wishes and hoping your dad will soon be home and better. Thanks for making us look at the coverage we each have, and to make adjustments where nessarsary!!....Joan.

Just be aware that MedJet Assist does not cover having you evacuated from the ship. You have to be admitted to a land-based hospital first, THEN it covers evacuation from there.

To travel to Cuba , you need a letter that states you have travel medical insurance

From the government Canada website

Health insurance

For additional details on this requirement, please consult the Embassy of Cuba in Canada.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP's father, as he was hospitalized in St. Maarten, not Cuba. :confused:

Linda , would you mind telling me the inssurance comp you used, they sound like the type that would be on your side if needed. Certainly send good wishes and hoping your dad will soon be home and better. Thanks for making us look at the coverage we each have, and to make adjustments where nessarsary!!....Joan.

I'd also like to know. ;)

Wishing the best for your Dad and hope you will all go home soon. :)