Pants for My

katz

Does anyone have suggestions for light-weight slacks or pants (they must cover ankles) for very, very hot and humid weather.

I usually wear capris, but will need long pants for a few of the places we will visit. I am looking for the lightess of light-weight.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Some seersucker pants are very light. You have to be careful because there is a heavier quality of seersucker often used in men's blazers. But seersucker is a classic summer fabric, a favorite choice before air conditioning became popular.

Another traditional light summer fabric is linen, but I find it can be quite scratchy and wrinkly. You have to search carefully for the right linen pants.

Yet another light, summery choice is cotton plisse, but that is not often used in pants.

The trouble with really lightweight fabrics is that they can be almost transparent and light weight fabrics can lack body and won't hold a crease, if looking freshly pressed is important to you.

OP, do you want something to wear on excursions or just out and about in ports? For hot and very humid, I would suggest these. They wick away moisture, very light weight, can be rolled up. They can also be washed easily and will dry quickly without wrinkles. There are other brands with similar features but I've alwayts been happy with Columbia items.

http://www.columbia.com/womens-pfg-aruba-roll-up-pant-FL8070.html?dwvar_FL8070_variationColor=160#prefn1=genderGroup&q=pants&prefv1=Women's&mid=paidsearch&nid=Search%7CBranded%7CProducts%7CClothing%7CUS&oid=NewBrand_Pants&did=columbia+dry+pants&eid=Microsoft%2BBing%2BAds%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!10!4771805471!26699977097&ef_id=U%4097VAAAAZYdGgBY%3A20141108014026%3As&start=0

Thanks, Gangway, CB (We live in Woodbridge) and Iheart.

We have two excursions were women have to have shoulders and ankles covered, but can't wear socks.

I hadn't thought of seersucker. I love linen, but I don't think it will work in Myanmar. Thanks for the website. I will check that out.

I appreciate your help.

This sounds like a perfect time to have a pair of neutral color convertible travel pants. There are ones that roll up and ones that zip off. Myanmar will be hot and sticky, so these would be great. They are lightweight and will wash and dry quickly if you need to re-wear. Most also make a non-zip version - you can get a longer pair and hem them to your needs.

Some of the women's lines are Ex-Officio, The North Face, Columbia, Mountain Hardware. There are several REI stores in the greater DC area that would be excellent places to look for travel pants. The REI brands are also good.

Thanks, Gangway, CB (We live in Woodbridge) and Iheart.

We have two excursions were women have to have shoulders and ankles covered, but can't wear socks.

I hadn't thought of seersucker. I love linen, but I don't think it will work in Myanmar. Thanks for the website. I will check that out.

I appreciate your help.

I never heard no socks allowed. Wow.......

Is that some rule at major tourist sites in Myanmar?

Can men wear socks?

I assume it's in temples. I have heard of the no socks rule, but never of covered ankles. I would bring a large lightweight pareo and wrap it around the capris/shorts as a temporary long skirt. It's more modest than pants and more in line with the traditional clothing of women in hot and humid countries. A pareo also doubles as a bathing suit cover-up on the ship and on the beach. Whenever the air-conditioning on the ship is meat locker temperature, you can use it as a wrap/scarf.

I assume it's in temples. I have heard of the no socks rule, but never of covered ankles. I would bring a large lightweight pareo and wrap it around the capris/shorts as a temporary long skirt. It's more modest than pants and more in line with the traditional clothing of women in hot and humid countries. A pareo also doubles as a bathing suit cover-up on the ship and on the beach. Whenever the air-conditioning on the ship is meat locker temperature, you can use it as a wrap/scarf.

Good idea.

I'm still curious if it is no socks for just women or for men also?

Good idea.

Curious.

Wonder if it's no socks because they can be dirty like shoes or is it no socks worn as an ankle coverup? As in no Capri/sock combo but long pants with socks are ok.

A quick Google search tells me that socks are not allowed in temples and other holy places in Myanmar. Doesn't matter your sex.

http://donotmisslist.com/traveltips/traveling-myanmar/

http://lmgtfy.com/

General rules are – no spaghetti straps (as they put it), no shorts, and no shoes/socks in any temple (this includes Pagodas).

As for pants, in extremely hot & humid climates, I'm a big fan of technical fabrics over natural fabrics like cotton or linen. Just as lightweight (assuming you buy the right product) but it wicks away sweat and dries quickly as needed - whether due to a rainstorm or washing in the sink....

This sounds like a perfect time to have a pair of neutral color convertible travel pants. There are ones that roll up and ones that zip off. Myanmar will be hot and sticky, so these would be great. They are lightweight and will wash and dry quickly if you need to re-wear. Most also make a non-zip version - you can get a longer pair and hem them to your needs.

Some of the women's lines are Ex-Officio, The North Face, Columbia, Mountain Hardware. There are several REI stores in the greater DC area that would be excellent places to look for travel pants. The REI brands are also good.

I agree. I have some brilliant REI ones that I used in very hot weather in India late March. They are so comfortable and cool. I've been using these sort of travel pants for many years now, various brands, but the REI ones are the best I've ever had.

I wouldn't go the capri route. Myanmar is a very conservative country. Any skin showing is a potential communication of disrespect. Being a tourist doesn't matter - you should always dress to respect the local culture, even if it means you aren't your most comfortable.

I'm a technical fabric person also for situations like this. I had my convertible pants and some Ex-Officio Airstrip long sleeve shirts (they roll up to short-sleeve) that I took to Egypt. I fully expected to wear the pants as shorts during the day, but I ended up very comfortable with the full pant, even when we visited Valley of the Kings in 109 degree sunshine!! It is the evaporative cooling process - you do sweat, but it ends up cooling you off. I'd wash the pants and shirt that evening and they'd be ready the next day (if I didn't have a second pair ready).

Good idea.

No socks are for men and women in all of the temples.

If it has rained it can be very dirty between the parking areas and the sites so I would highly recommend brining along wet wipes to clean ones feet.

Keith

As to dress, women are required to cover their knees and shoulders and gentlemen must wear long pants when visiting religious sites. Pagodas and Monasteries require that shoes and socks be removed. Capris are fine as are a long skirt or pants for women. Something light is ideal because it can be very hot and humid there.

My wife has found some good items at Travelsmith for this type of travel but as mentioned you can find items at department and other retail stores. Good to get something that will not wrinkle too much.

Keith

Guest maddycat
I have Chicos Travelers pants that are so lightweight they can be worn in the hottest of weather.

I have a pair of Chicos "Weekends" pants that I bought at one of their outlet stores. They're very comfortable in hot, humid weather.

I wore capris that ended about half way between my ankles and knees. I would not recommend really long pants as they might drag on the dirty ground - yuck. As long as knees and shoulders are covered, you are good to go.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app