New Suite dining and Blu question.

eby

Define better?

The surcharge is not about the value of the experience, IMHO it is pitched at a high end level to manage/limit the number of requests from non eligible guests to eat there with friends, it will reflect the fact the cruise line will not want groups having one booked in a suite and the rest of the family in inside cabins but all wanting the suite dining experience

Using that logic, there should be a $40 charge for non aqua guests to dine in Blu....but that's not the case. If you aren't in aqua (or a suite) you can't dine in blu...period. It would be very easy to say if you aren't in a suite, you can't dine in the new suite restaurant.

I'd suggest that the difference is that Celebrity sees a way to increase revenue...and my guess is that once the suite restaurant is going, they will start to allow others to dine in Blu for an equally hefty fee....on a space available basis (which they don't follow today for suite guests who can dine there any time...but sounds good in marketing "exclusive access" for aqua passengers).

Let's not kid ourselves about one point - the 'space available' concept for allowing suite passengers in Blu is nonsense and always has been. They are not going to turn away a passenger paying multiple thousands of dollars for their suite because no space is available. Not gonna happen - ever.

With the new suite restaurant and the open specialty restaurant dining at the higher end suite level, I suspect the overcrowding problem in Blu will be alleviated. I would guess Celebrity thinks so as well. Once it is all implemented, then they will need to see how it goes. If their theory is wrong, then they need to re-evaluate. But I personally doubt that will happen.

Let's not kid ourselves about one point - the 'space available' concept for allowing suite passengers in Blu is nonsense and always has been. They are not going to turn away a passenger paying multiple thousands of dollars for their suite because no space is available. Not gonna happen - ever.

They don't turn away, but they do tell us to come back later or disallow entry at busy times, Also do not allow us to reserve times, at least this has been my experience, even while in the Penthouse on 2 separate itineraries and ships (Reflection and Eclipse).

I also think as another poster suggested, that if they find BLU to have a lot of regular unoccupied seating after the change, they will open it to others as a specialty dining venue with limited access, for a fee. Maybe even reconfigure the space to lose a few tables and do some sort of Chef's table concept or something with 10 seats.

It is all about making a profitable line, so they have the money to keep the ships running, and shareholders happy. To do so they have tho keep finding ways to eek out a little extra onboard spend, as fares are relatively (but for suites) stagnant over the long term, especially so when adjusted to inflation, and for the addition of the included 123 perks.

If Suite guests will still be permitted to dine in Blu (if there on a waiting basis) why can't this be extended to Aqua Class Passengers who wish to dine in the new suite dining area.

Because perks tend to "roll down hill" not "uphill". The more you pay the more perks you get.

If BLU guests can arrange to dine in the MDR (as they can, and I have), why not people in the MDR in inside cabins be offered to dine in BLU?

Because perks tend to "roll down hill" not "uphill". The more you pay the more perks you get.

If BLU guests can arrange to dine in the MDR (as they can, and I have), why not people in the MDR in inside cabins be offered to dine in BLU?

The Blu restaurant was listed as a benefit to those who had booked Aqua Class. It turned out to be very popular. So popular in fact, that Suite Passengers wanted to be able to dine in it. It was because of this that Celebrity decided to have a separate dining area from Suite Passengers. To a certain extent both are mutually exclusive unless you book Aqua Class Suite.

It stands to reason that if Suite Passengers wish to dine in the Blu Restaurant, then Aqua Class should be able to dine with the same restrictions in the Suite Dining Room.

Of course a more logical option would be to keep Blu for Aqua Class and the "New" Dining Room for Suite Passengers.

Of course, anyone would have the option of dining in the MDR or for a fee in the other Speciality Restaurants.

The Blu restaurant was listed as a benefit to those who had booked Aqua Class.

It was (and is) also listed as a benefit to those who booked Suites, provided there is space available. I know it's been a Suite benefit since at least early 2013, and I imagine since it was first rolled out though I can not be certain about that. It's certainly been the case since it was initially rolled out on all M class ships.

The Suite Dining room is being added to bring Celebrity's suite program more into line with other lines, providing additional perks and with it an accordingly higher price. I doubt its primary reason for adding the Suite Dining room was to relive stress in BLU, likely just a side benefit. If it were a primary reason, the SuitePerks FAQ would not have provided the perk of BLU access in it. In my mind, Celebrity's suite program was always a bit "light" compared to other lines, but for the Butler services.

So Suite guests have a choice of their own suite restaurant, Blu or the MDR. Im beginning to feel somewhat unloved as a a lowely cattle class passenger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

None of this has taken away any dining venues for those in lesser priced cabins at least.

Though those cabins that have had dramatic price increases, now do have more options. Suite gusts in RS and above, also will have unlimited access to all specialty dining venues without additional charge, providing differentiation to the CS and Sky Suites, again, all relative to the cabin fare one is willing to pay.

I assume you must really believe what you said as absurd as it sounds. Using the same logic if Aqua Class passengers are allowed to dine in the MDR then non Aqua Class guests should be allowed to dine in Blu?

Dining in the MDR is part of the cruise package. Dining in Blu was initially thought of as a healthy alternative FOR THOSE PASSENGERS WHO BOOKED AQUA CLASS. When it became popular it was also opened up to passengers who had booked Suites. However, individuals booking suites were not guaranteed to be able to dine in Blu. Because of this, Celebrity provided a new benefit for suite passengers to have another dining area. Blu was never initially intended for Suite passengers while Blu was always intended as an option for Aqua Class.

If you book concierge, or standard passenger you are entitled to dine in the MDR or in the buffet in the café area. Blu was never listed as a benefit for those individuals.

Aqua Class can either dine in the MDR or in Blu.

My opinion, and it only my opinion, that Blu should be limited to Aqua Class and the new dining room should be limited to Suite Passengers. However, if Suite Passengers can dine in Blu, than Aqua Class should be able to dine in the new dining area. Again this is my opinion.

FYI - Blu was initially only for Aqua guests. Sometime in 2011 that changed to available to suite guests on a space available basis with a nominal charge of $5.00 per person, or maybe it was $10, don't remember that. In 2013 they eliminated that charge, although it seems some ships kept charging it, right up to now as I know Summit charged some suite guests just two months ago, which Guest Services refunded to them.

FYI - Blu was initially only for Aqua guests. Sometime in 2011 that changed to available to suite guests on a space available basis with a nominal charge of $5.00 per person, or maybe it was $10, don't remember that. In 2013 they eliminated that charge, although it seems some ships kept charging it, right up to now as I know Summit charged some suite guests just two months ago, which Guest Services refunded to them.

and on some ships they ask suite guests to dine before or after prime dinner times but on others, suite guests seem to be accomodated whenever they show up. If you have to wait for blu on the infinity, they offer you 1/2 price at any specialty restaurant that night if you prefer...not sure if this has been implemented on any other ship or it was unique to our TA a month ago...but the offer was printed on a plastic insert attached to the pager...oh, and the pager is an option on some ships (again the infinity) so if you have to wait, you don't have to just wait by blu...

It's really very inconsistent...and "celebrity cruise" never jumps in on these threads to state the official policy. The only thing you can count on is that "it is what it is" on your cruise.

Since we had to wait almost every night on the TA, we decided to book an extra size balcony C2 on our next S class cruise....and try select dining again.

Edited by ghstudio

My wife and I have just completed a Trans-Atlantic Passage on Celebrity Equinox. We had booked Aqua Class because of Blu. This is our 4th voyage on Celebrity, with two of them being Aqua Class. To put it simply, Blu, for both breakfast and dinner was fantastic and certain worth the extra cost of Aqua Class.

On this cruise, we did however, find that the Blu Restaurant was crowded and wait times of between 15-30 minutes was not unusual for dining at prime time. In addition, although service was excellent we did find it at times a bit rushed during peak periods.

This may be secondary to suite passengers using Blu. Certainly if I booked a suite and could eat in Blu instead of the MDR, I would chose Blu every night. I did not see any attempt to give preferential treatment to Aqua Class during busy periods in regards to suite passengers also dining there.

Hopefully the addition of a Suite Dining Room would hopefully correct this problem. I do feel, however, that Celebrity should either enlarge Blu to accommodate the suite passengers, or restrict it to Aqua Class only. One other option as I mentioned, after the introduction of a Suite Class Dining Room, would permit Aqua Class to dine there, if they continue the policy of permitting Suite Passengers to dine in Blu.

This is unrelated. What Celebrity needs to work on is the Ocean Café Buffet. It was difficult at times to find a table, and cleaning the tables promptly left much to be desired. Although the ship was not crowded, it seems that the staff had problems accommodating the number of individuals wishing to dine during prime periods. Celebrity used to have individuals help you with your tray find the table, I guess that this practice has been eliminated. The quality of food in the buffet varied from excellent to mediocre. Whenever possible we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner either in the MDR or Blu.

My wife and I have just completed a Trans-Atlantic Passage on Celebrity Equinox. We had booked Aqua Class because of Blu. This is our 4th voyage on Celebrity, with two of them being Aqua Class. To put it simply, Blu, for both breakfast and dinner was fantastic and certain worth the extra cost of Aqua Class.

On this cruise, we did however, find that the Blu Restaurant was crowded and wait times of between 15-30 minutes was not unusual for dining at prime time. In addition, although service was excellent we did find it at times a bit rushed during peak periods

Hopefully the addition of a Suite Dining Room would hopefully correct this problem. I do feel, however, that Celebrity should either enlarge Blu to accommodate the suite passengers, or restrict it to Aqua Class only. One other option as I mentioned, after the introduction of a Suite Class Dining Room, would permit Aqua Class to dine there, if they continue the policy of permitting Suite Passengers to dine in Blu.

In our experience the wait time was worse at premium times and when the resturant first opened and late in the evening was easier to get in. As much as I have loved Blu, I expect suite passengers will spend much less time there after April. In fact I would say the resturant would have to be a fail for that to happen.

I have been a suite guest turned down to dine in Blu, even when the resturant was very open. When they realized we wanted to dine early it was worked out, but later in the two weeks. The charge for Blu is an additional tip, not a charge, and annoying when there are prepaid gratuities, to us anyway. There is a strong belief that people do not pay tips if they do not have a fixed time and waiter, I don't actually get it. But they are concerned about it, so it must happen.

Glad you had a good experience in Blu!

Edited by hulamoon

On our most recent cruise, I think that no party had to pay an additonal charge to eat in Blu. In respect to other charges, we were so impressed with the service that we gave additional gratuities to the hostess and the matre'd.

None of this has taken away any dining venues for those in lesser priced cabins at least.

Though those cabins that have had dramatic price increases, now do have more options. Suite gusts in RS and above, also will have unlimited access to all specialty dining venues without additional charge, providing differentiation to the CS and Sky Suites, again, all relative to the cabin fare one is willing to pay.

Yes but as a Select diner in a smaller select dining room my options will be restricted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes but as a Select diner in a smaller select dining room my options will be restricted.

Some of the space taken would likely have been used by some of the bodies now dining in the suite dining room, so it's not going to be as big a problem as one may think. It's just shifting people from 1 seat to another within the same space. We also don't know if they will move select dining to another spot or add some select seating elsewhere in the MDR. And of course some of the Suite Guests get unlimited specialty dining, and will likely dine elsewhere on many nights too. I'm quite as capable of making arrangements with strangers as easily as X can do it for me in advance.

This is partly why I strongly believe that within a year or so Assigned seating will be gone and it will all be select seating. RCI is moving that way already. People who want a 6:30 or 8:00 seating can arrange that when boarding, and ask to get a table just assigned.

X has without saying it, relaxed the formal night dress code, so there really is nothing special left about the gala event of dining in the MDR, although I do prefer dining at a new table meeting new people myself. If they did go full select, I'd simply ask for a large table my first night, and arrange to dine with those people on subsequent nights, keeping the tradition of meeting people and dining for the full cruise.

However, although I do believe they will just pull from select dining space, the SuitePerks faq is a bit mysterious in its language:

Where will the dedicated private restaurant be located?

The restaurant exclusively for Suite Class guests will be located in a newly created space just off the Main restaurant. On Millennium Class ships, the restaurant will be located on Deck 5 Port side. On Solstice Class ships, it will be located on Deck 4 Port side.

We have booked a suite for a special anniversary next May, just wish Celebrity would release more details of the restaurant, as they promised at the beginning of the year.

A couple of questions come to mind:

Will you have a dedicated table for the evening, as per Cunard suites?

Will it be Formal dress on formal nights, as per the MDR?

Looks like we won't know this year!

Will you have a dedicated table for the evening, as per Cunard suites?

As with BLU this can likely happen. From the SuitePerks FAQ:

Will Suite Class guests be able to choose a fixed dining time or will it be “open seating”?

While Suite Class guests may access the Suite Class exclusive restaurant at their leisure, a reservation is recommended to ensure prompt seating- especially during peak time periods. Suite Class guests’ personal butler will be happy to make those reservations upon request. During the cruise booking process, Suite Class guests will be asked to make a selection of either “Main/6pm” or “Late/8:30pm” seating. This is simply a “starting point” so that the Suite Class exclusive restaurant may reach out and help make a reservation if it is desired.

Will it be Formal dress on formal nights, as per the MDR?

My guess is formal wear won't be required as it is also not required in any of the specialty restaurants, BLU included.

On our most recent cruise, I think that no party had to pay an additonal charge to eat in Blu. In respect to other charges, we were so impressed with the service that we gave additional gratuities to the hostess and the matre'd.

I hope you also gave additional to the waiters and their assistants.