Pets on board

mikevet

On allure right now and there is a lady who has been carrying around a Pomeranian the whole cruise. She was squeezing through the crowded mdr last night with dog. She isn't blind or this is one damn good seeing eye dog! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On allure right now and there is a lady who has been carrying around a Pomeranian the whole cruise. She was squeezing through the crowded mdr last night with dog. She isn't blind or this is one damn good seeing eye dog! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Service animals are not just for blind passengers.

You have to specify nowadays....there are tons of folks who "claim" their pets are "service animals"...yet they aren't at all....the law is very vague. It's indicative of our whole society...vague and bleary. There are no "lines drawn" for anything, anywhere.

Edited by cb at sea

Brilliance of the Sea, April T A. Observed women pushing stroller in the Windjammer, same woman pushing same stroller in the area of Park Ave. Also observed in various hallways. In this stroller were two dogs. One appeared older than the other, both dogs were small.

When I worked for the airline, someone actually brought a service Shetland pony on board.

I understand they're using ponies as service animals but would you please tell me where they stand & how/if they're restrained in any way? Dogs can sit and some are small enough to be held but I can't figure out how you travel with a pony. How do you get it into a car?

Responses so often make me sad.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability."

Service dogs are not considered pets.

As for behaviour...

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc.

Which is just like a fellow human. Can't deny boarding to humans who have paid their fare and have the right ID, but you can kick them off if they create problems!

Small dogs aren't seeing eye dogs.

Seeing eye dogs are not the only kinds of service dogs.

I was very interested to find out that there are dogs who can sense a seizure coming on, and they are taught to alert the person. That allows the person to stop driving, stop walking, to get to a safe place and position, so they don't harm themselves or others.

Dogs can also sense blood sugar changes before the person or their meter can. They are taught to alert, which then allows the person to figure out what way their blood sugar is going and take measures to help with that.

As cool as seeing eye dogs are, those things are just as cool.

I remain unconvinced that those living with hardships should have *more* hardships and expenses come their way by making them do more to document need and how the animal helps, etc etc.

Therefore, if someone tells me they have a service animal, I make my life more peaceful by simply believing them, and by being GLAD for them that they have found a way to help their lives be better.

You have to specify nowadays....there are tons of folks who "claim" their pets are "service animals"...yet they aren't at all....the law is very vague. It's indicative of our whole society...vague and bleary. There are no "lines drawn" for anything, anywhere.

And if lines are drawn half the world thinks that they don't apply to them, because they are special.

Just look at all the threads about smuggling alcohol on board, or formal nights, or about 100 other topics .

just of the enchantment, some guy holding a dogg while he is getting coffee.

I'm a dog lover but this is getting out of hand.

just an attention getter

Brilliance of the Sea, April T A. Observed women pushing stroller in the Windjammer, same woman pushing same stroller in the area of Park Ave. Also observed in various hallways. In this stroller were two dogs. One appeared older than the other, both dogs were small.

Pathetic.

"Remember that "[a]nimals whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being are not service animals..." so a service animal must be specifically trained to DO something."

"Additionally, if the animal behaves inappropriately, by disrupting business, behaving aggressively, interfering with other patrons or clients (say by sniffing them or jumping up on them), or toileting inappropriately, then it doesn't matter whether it is a service dog because you can still exclude it on the basis of "fundamental alteration" or "direct threat." "

So unfair to legitimate needs and dogs that are actually trained.

Edited by crilski

Pathetic.

really,

So who is going to defend the 50% of the people who are cheating the system and taking their dog with them for any number of reasons? None of you holier than thou I'm sure. You are going to assume all if not most have a "medical reason" to bring a a dog on a cruise ship. Ok, I get it it they "have" to take there dogs to the grocery, hardware stores, movie theatres, church,to the bathroom all so that they will feel secure and won't have seizures and attacks. Leave the dog or find a land vacation. Seeing eye dogs, people with visible handicaps I welcome those service dogs 110% of the time. Oh I know there are more than just visible handicaps, save your time cutting and pasting that quote but address the losers that don't have a handicap and still do it, then we can talk reality.

Sorry,

I'm not buying it. They fall right into the 60% of people who need to have a handicap sticker and move faster than me when they get out of their car.