Rerouted due weather - Compensation ??

downundermatt

Hi There

My recent Transatlantic Celebrity Cruise got rerouted due to forecast bad weather, which I understand.

Consequently we arrived in New York days later than planned - coming from Australia we missed a family reunion, as mixed family who had flown from Mexico to meet us. We also missed a number of pre booked shows as we arrived after the shows.

Are Celebrity likely to compensate us, or give us some kind of future credit or voucher towards another Cruise ? Has anyone experience similar problems.

Whilst understanding it certainly was a costly disappointment

The cruise line has no more control over the weather than any of us.

I don't see a reason they should be held responsible for weather related travel changes..... anymore than most airlines compensate for canceled or delayed flights due to weather

Sorry for your disappointment but there is no one to blame here.

Edited by sail7seas

Did you protect yourselves by purchasing travel insurance? You may be able to claim some things (such as the theater tickets) if your insurance covered weather delays.

At least the cruise line isn't charging you for the extra days your cruise was extended. ;)

You MIGHT get refunded port fees and taxe4s for any missed ports but that's it.

It is a risk you take when you cruise, half of my cruises have had some change in itinerary.

Also f you had extra days on board should you have to pay extra do you think?? After all I suspect you ate on those extra days, and the staff still served you!

Hi There

My recent Transatlantic Celebrity Cruise got rerouted due to forecast bad weather, which I understand.

Consequently we arrived in New York days later than planned - coming from Australia we missed a family reunion, as mixed family who had flown from Mexico to meet us. We also missed a number of pre booked shows as we arrived after the shows.

Are Celebrity likely to compensate us, or give us some kind of future credit or voucher towards another Cruise ? Has anyone experience similar problems.

If the captain had persisted through the dangerous weather, I would bet that many of your fellow passengers would be looking for compensation for their horrendous cruise! The cruise lines just can't win, can they? :rolleyes:

As mentioned in the movie "Tell him he's dreaming" ..... sorry mate NO refund but hopefully you'll plan better next time .... always allow an extra (min) of a day either before or after the cruise. Not as essential if just local departure (we usually fly in the day before a cruise just to be safe) but essential if travelling O'seas .....

Cheers Tom

Thanks for your sympathetic responses - was just asking a question

We didn't get any extra days, missed our two days in Bermuda altogether,

and all other port time was less than scheduled.

Family we hadn't seen for years flew into New York for the weekend to see us,

we arrived after they had left.

I would have expected Morden Luxury to reimburse us for the Port Fees at least - seems some were, some were not and always bu differing amounts.

Seasons Greetings Nonetheless

Apologies if I am wrong, but is that not why you take out holiday insurance?

may be wrong but I really doubt that any insurance would cover this, after all what was the loss? The chance to meet up with family, how do we value this?

If I missed meeting some of my family the insurance company would probably expect me to pay them.:eek:

To give a straight answer to the OP, Celebrity are not likely to compensate you because it wasn't their fault. They might, I suppose, offer you a small discount on a future cruise if asked.

Insurance is the way to go for compensation. Though I doubt that a missed family reunion would be given any financial value. The shows might be.

Finally, about "insurance". Insurance is to reimburse for actual losses incurred due to travel disruptions. This would be in the form of hotel nights, change fees and the like.

It does NOT provide "compensation" for non-financial losses, such as not seeing a port or missing out on relatives. Insurance is reimbursement for loss, and there's a world of difference between "reimbursement" and "compensation".

In other words....there is no magic solution.

Thanks for your sympathetic responses - was just asking a question

We didn't get any extra days, missed our two days in Bermuda altogether,

and all other port time was less than scheduled.

Family we hadn't seen for years flew into New York for the weekend to see us,

we arrived after they had left.

I would have expected Morden Luxury to reimburse us for the Port Fees at least - seems some were, some were not and always bu differing amounts.

Seasons Greetings Nonetheless

Here you say you didn't get extra days but in your op you said you arrived days later. Those days are the "extra" days. I'm so sorry you missed your reunion. I know it's a huge disappointment.

If you truly arrived days later, then hundreds of passengers missed flights.

I'm truly sorry, but if you read your cruise contract you'll see that you are not owed anything from the cruise line. Bad weather and missed ports happen. You might get your port fees returned for the missed ports but that is all the cruise line needs to do.

Hi There

And if you were driving to meet them and the blizzard conditions prevented you from getting there in time, would you ask the car manufacturer, the highway maintenance department, or the the weather department to compensate you? You arranged for relatives to meet you, booked shows, etc., not the cruise line. That is completely your responsibility. However, often the cruise lines will offer compensation for rescheduled flights if they arrive late at the final destination.

Edited by fortinweb

I would have expected Modern Luxury to reimburse us for the Port Fees at least - seems some were, some were not and always bu differing amounts.

Modern Luxury is a promotional label, and has nothing to do with port fees. Celebrity does reimburse port fees for any ports that are missed. They are good about doing that, so I suspect you did get these full refunds. Different ports have different fees, which are set by the local port authority. That would account for the differing amounts.

Here you say you didn't get extra days but in your op you said you arrived days later. Those days are the "extra" days. I'm so sorry you missed your reunion. I know it's a huge disappointment.

If you truly arrived days later, then hundreds of passengers missed flights.

I'm truly sorry, but if you read your cruise contract you'll see that you are not owed anything from the cruise line. Bad weather and missed ports happen. You might get your port fees returned for the missed ports but that is all the cruise line needs to do.

You don't really understand. What the OP has not stated clearly in his post is that the Celebrity Eclipse TA was supposed to call at NYC as a port call after six days at sea, then a sea day and ON in Bermuda, then on to Miami via Port Canaveral. Because of weather in the North Atlantic, the ship scrapped Bermuda, called at Funchal, Madeira, got into NYC two days later than the original schedule. I believe passengers were informed of the itinerary change on boarding, or maybe the day before, so there was plenty of time to change arrangements if possible. I had friends on this cruise. Port charges for Funchal may have cancelled out the charges for Bermuda. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

The only thing they are obligated to give by the cruise contract is port charges for missed ports.

However, for good will a cruise line usually does something a little better than that. If not, do as I would do, book with another cruise line next trip.

I had an issue with my last cruise. We missed a port blame don weather but in reality it was due to propulsion problems sine the 2 cruises after us with the same itinerary had the port canceled also. We got back port taxes. The cruises after us (before the January drydock)$100 per person onboard credit.

This was on celebrity Silhouette. One more cruise and I would have had elite status on my formerly favorite cruise line. Now, I doubt I will cruise with them anytime in the near future if ever. It is a matter of prinicpal for me that the November 23rd week cruisers were treated so differently from the week of December 7th and December 21st cruisers.

Hi There

How would the cruise line and why would the cruise like compensate you any money or credit whatsoever?....:rolleyes:

You don't really understand. What the OP has not stated clearly in his post is that the Celebrity Eclipse TA was supposed to call at NYC as a port call after six days at sea, then a sea day and ON in Bermuda, then on to Miami via Port Canaveral. Because of weather in the North Atlantic, the ship scrapped Bermuda, called at Funchal, Madeira, got into NYC two days later than the original schedule. I believe passengers were informed of the itinerary change on boarding, or maybe the day before, so there was plenty of time to change arrangements if possible. I had friends on this cruise. Port charges for Funchal may have cancelled out the charges for Bermuda. EM

That makes more sense now. I also don't feel that the cruise line needs to compensate anyone for the itinerary changes. The ship's captain/master rerouted the ship to maintain the safety of the ship, crew, and passengers. The cruise lines clearly maintain the right to do so without need for compensation. From what I can tell, the OP didn't have the miserable cruise with sewage flooded hallways, broken generators, no food or water, etc. They had to have the itinerary changed to maintain the safety of all on board. While it's a shame they missed shows, family, etc., their lives were not put in danger. I personally would not have planned to do those types of things on a one-two day stop, but understand that some people would. Sorry to hear of the inconvenience, but I still don't think this is really worthy of compensation. The cruise line still delivered a safe cruise, the passengers were fed and watered, had a place to sleep, and were delivered safely from point to point. The cruise line fulfilled their end of the contract.