What do y'all think of the Captain's Circle benefits?

JasonTehGreat

We're Elite on Princess and Celebrity and there's no comparison.

We get 90 minutes (no matter how long the cruise) on Celebrity and, because we tend to take longer cruises, at least 250 on Princess.

We get one item each dry cleaned and one bag each washed for laundry on Celebrity and unlimited on Princess.

I like the mini bar because I can drink when I want on Princess. The free cocktail lounge on Celebrity is from 5 -7 (when we're either still at the pool or getting dressed) and they have a closed-toe shoe policy for their lounge (No joke, I was asked to leave once in my sandals) and I only take sandals on warm cruises.

Also, recently, the crew on Celebrity seems to have been cut, (as has live entertainment) making each crew member stressed and rushing around while Princess still retains the relaxed, smiling service we love.

And, as Pam said, we can combine all kinds of benefits on Princess and cannot on Celebrity.

So, why do we keep going back to Celebrity? Itinerary! Usually wins out every time. :o (The service issue may trump itinerary if it doesn't change in the future)

"Closed shoe policy"....are you serious?! I live in Florida and don't think I even own a pair of closed shoes! Just dressy sandals.

Edited by crusinpeg

Carnival offers you free laundry after reaching platinum and Princess does not. While the 250 free internet minutes is nice, I'd rather have the free laundry on these long cruises we take. On the other hand, DH doesn't mind sending his laundry out, where I don't like anyone touching my undies, so I don't mind doing laundry on sea days. We do like the Captain's party and the free drinks on Princess. We prefer Princess over Carnival, we haven't seen any good deals lately on Carnival. We like leaving out of San Francisco.

We really like the Princess benefits, especially being able to use the Future Cruise credit, veteran's credit and the shareholder credit, along with priority tenders, minibar setups, and free laundry. Celebrity and RCCL wouldn't let us combine our benefits, so with other things being equal, we'll choose Princess most of the time. If they ever take away these options, we probably won't be as loyal to Princess. All in all it comes down to itinerary and price most of the time, but we still factor in all our benefits when comparing cruises. Hope Princess doesn't mess up a good thing. :)

I think RCL and Princess are about equal. What one lacks is made up for in other ways. RCL has $250 - $350 discount on balcony or above cabins at the diamond level which is worth the mini bar on Princess and a whole lot more. I think the levels are so easy to reach that they both have cut back on the tier benefits. When 50% of the ship has tender priority what value does that really hold?

To me, the elite benefits on Celebrity and Princess are equal ... I love them both for different reasons. Just so happy to have them.

Princess:

Elegant little gift bag in your room filled with toiletries

Afternoon canapés delivered to your room on formal nights

Mini-Bar set up

Free internet minutes (way more than I ever use)

Priority embarkation and tendering

Wine tasting event

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning

Onboard boutique discount

Captains Club party

Celebrity:

Happy hour between 5-7 in the lounge (or vouchers)

Elite breakfast with specialty coffees, mimosas and bloody Mary's

Wine tasting event

Complimentary bag of laundry - 20 to 30 items

Free dry cleaning and free pressing of 2 items

Priority embarkation and tendering

Some free internet minutes (limited and really bad connection times)

Reciprocal benefits offered on Royal Caribbean

Captains Club party

Where I think Celebrity wins, though, is booking onboard allows you onboard credits PLUS a free beverage package. This works out to be the best deal when there is no current promotion going on as the prices are much better.

The perks offered during onboard booking rock. However, Princess is better for combining discounts.

As mentioned, the price and itinerary dictate which line I will cruise with and the elite benefits are all icing on the cake. If I were greedy, the one thing that I would really like from Princess is a special breakfast for elites ... but am perfectly happy with anything they give me for free. :)

We're going to be Platinum on our next Princess cruise (not only our five previous cruises, but in cruising days too), but Princess is our line of choice. It'll be nice to have the Internet minutes (hope that doesn't go away) -- we did buy a package on our last cruise to check email, etc.

As we have a family member who's allergic to regular laundry detergent (and also my daughter and I have some clothing that is better washed in cold water and air dried), any future free laundry is a bit irrelevant to us. With our doing cruises longer than 7 days lately, RC and Celebrity would be out as they don't have self-service laundries. And Carnival, unless they have an itinerary/price we like, is outshined by Princess in our mind.

"Closed shoe policy"....are you serious?! I live in Florida and don't think I even own a pair of closed shoes! Just dressy sandals.

This has been discussed on the celebrity site in the past. There is no such policy. It was one rogue dress code checker on the door. However, they do ask for smart casual attire.

I can drink when I want on Princess. The free cocktail lounge on Celebrity is from 5 -7 (when we're either still at the pool or getting dressed.

With the never ending 123go promo offering the free classic drink package on Celebrity, can the elite cocktail hour even be considered a perk anymore? I like both Celebrity and Princess. My booking goes to which ever line offers the best price and itinerary. The loyalty program has no influence at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess has probably the best perks of any Cruise Line. At the Elite level you get free laundry and internet minutes. RCCL only offers a free Happy Hour and Lounge. Celebrity offers one bag of laundry, some internet, a Happy hour and a Lounge so they are pretty good, HAL only offers free laundry. If you are not a big drinker, Princess offers the best plan.

Hal offers more than free laundry. You get priority tendering, discounts on wine and specialty restaurants just to name a few things.

First of all, like many, I cruise primarily for the itinerary--the result of this isthat I've cruised on eight different lines...

There are many more important criteria than repeat customer benefits...

Sure, it's nice to get stuff for "free"...but, remember, NOTHING is really free...You are paying for it in some form or another...

AND, remember that whatever they give you for free, you could have purchased anyway--drinks, laundry, internet, whatever...

So, though it is great to get free internet minutes being an "Elite" cruiser, you could also have purchased those same exact minutes for a set price...

The one benefit on any line that is not within your ability to equal with money is the "Elite" or "Diamond" or whatever lounge--not that you can't buy the same drinks or get the same food elsewhere on board, what you can't get is the specialized service and limited entry access...

Personally, to me, the best benefit is the lounge on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity...Why? Free drinks, pretty much unlimited during drinking hours...and incredibly great service...We usually arrive and find our drinks waiting--Yeah, the waiters in the Diamond/Elite Lounge are the same every night...and they get to know you...and what you drink. And you seldom have to even order a drink...They watch carefully and bring you refills before you're completely done with the last...You just can't get that kind of service in the "ordinary" crowded bars and lounges esewhere or on other ships. We have been on Celebrity ships with as few as 24 Elite members on board...and the service was not to be believed.

As to the idea voiced earlier in this thread by someone claiming that Celebrity was moving to drink vouchers instead--NOT TRUE...They did this on limited transatlantic sailings where the number of Elite members far outstripped what they could deal with in a small lounge...

They now have changed the system to add new, higher levels...and (we haven't cruised with them since the change, so I am going by second hand info here), they may have split up the lounges to Elite and Elite Plus, with Elite Plus being in a smaller lounge with a far smaller number at that level.

The alleged equivalent--the Mini Bar--on Princess, does not come close...It's, what, four airplane sized bottles of booze and a couple of mixers so you can make your own drink in your cabin? And the Elite Lounge has NO FREE DRINKS...just a nightly $5 special--if that drink is one you want to drink...

If you don't drink, none of this makes a difference--though, we took our non-drinking younger daughter on an RCCL cruise recently and she enjoyed socializing in the Diamond Lounge and drinking free mocktails and soft drinks...

As to Laundry, Celebrity offers a bag (up to 30 pieces) plus two dry-cleaned items and a pressing per person at the Elite level, two bags per person at the Elite Plus level. Princess is unlimited...but, frankly, I don't pack all that much, so 60 items between my wife and I is plenty enough...Next time, we're the new Elite Plus, so it will be 120 pieces--I'm not sure we usually pack that much in our cruise luggage...I would call that benefit a "wash", pun intended...

The internet benefit is a slight edge to Princess at the Elite level...The Celebrity benefit at Elite Plus is 200 minutes per person...

Again, I really don't care...there's only so much of my cruise time I want to spend in front of a computer reading emails...

Celebrity also gives Elite passengers a free Wine Tasting or Wine Blending program, free Bridge or Backstage or Kitchen tours...and invites, on some cruises to special events--like, on Alaska cruises, viewing Hubbard Glacier from the Heliport in a more uncrowded area with better views...

Other benefits are fairly equal...All of these lines have priority boarding, priority tendering, a departure lounge, a special breakfast room, a Captain's Circle/Captains Club/Crown & Anchor "party"...

As to "getting there", with Royal Caribbean, we got to Diamond in just 10 relatively short (3-7 night) cruises...They have since changed the system so it now takes 80 points--one point per cruise night--double points if cruiseing in a suite. Occasionally, they will offer a special double points for certain sailings.

With Celebrity, we were at "Elite" in ONLY THREE CRUISES! The old system required 9 points (You were Elite" on your 10th) ...but gave one point per cruise, two if on a cruise over 10 nights and one more point if in a Concierge Class cabin or higher. So, after three long cruises, we were Elite. ...Under the new system, it does go by number of nights rather than cruises and there are different points for different category cabins. An inside or OV cabin gets you 2 points per night, an ordinary veranda 3 points, a Concierge or Aqua Class balcony, 5 points, a Sky Suite (like a mini suite) 8 points and the larger suites 12 or 18...For cruises on the Xpedition, its 5 points per night for lower cabins, 12 or 18 for suites. You need 299 points to get to Elite, 749 for Elite Plus. So, sure, if you only cruise short cruises in inside cabins, it will take a long time to get to Elite...If you are like us and cruise longer cruises and often book suites or Concierge cabins, it really isn't that hard to get to higher categories very fast...say, 60 nights in Concierge Class cabins...maybe three 14 night cruises, two 7-nighters and a 3..and you are there...

With Princess, we'll be on our 5th cruise tomorrow--so, finally Platinum...But, with Princess' system, we will still need TEN more cruises to get to Elite...The number of nights method doesn't really make it easier...

So, with the ease of getting those benefits...and with the much better drinking lounge benefit...Celebrity or Royal Caribbean's deals are, IMHO, MUCH BETTER...

But, again, don't choose what cruises you go on based on free laundry or free drinks or free internet...Consider those a little bonus...IF you qualify...Do not book cruises just to chase those levels either. Remember, the cruise lines can all change the programs and benefits whenever thet want...Nothing is guaranteed to you.

Choose cruises you want to go on...the rest will eventually fall into place.

The alleged equivalent--the Mini Bar--on Princess, does not come close...It's, what, four airplane sized bottles of booze and a couple of mixers so you can make your own drink in your cabin? And the Elite Lounge has NO FREE DRINKS...just a nightly $5 special--if that drink is one you want to drink...

A lot of the bar waiters will substitute other drinks in place of the nightly special.

First of all, like many, I cruise primarily for the itinerary--the result of this isthat I've cruised on eight different lines...

There are many more important criteria than repeat customer benefits...

Sure, it's nice to get stuff for "free"...but, remember, NOTHING is really free...You are paying for it in some form or another...

AND, remember that whatever they give you for free, you could have purchased anyway--drinks, laundry, internet, whatever...

So, though it is great to get free internet minutes being an "Elite" cruiser, you could also have purchased those same exact minutes for a set price...

The one benefit on any line that is not within your ability to equal with money is the "Elite" or "Diamond" or whatever lounge--not that you can't buy the same drinks or get the same food elsewhere on board, what you can't get is the specialized service and limited entry access...

Just sail in a suite and you get those benefits so you can buy them. The only thing you can't buy is the 10% discount in the boutiques on Princess. Don't know how you could buy a discount. Even priority tender comes with a suite benefit.

Just sail in a suite and you get those benefits so you can buy them. The only thing you can't buy is the 10% discount in the boutiques on Princess. Don't know how you could buy a discount.

You can effectively "buy" a 10% boutique discount for your next cruise by making a large purchase in Facets (don't know the threshold). Happened to me twice although that wasn't the primary intent of the purchase. Around day 1 or 2 of your next cruise you will get a private invitation to a champagne event in facets. There you'll get a 10% discount card good for the current cruise as well as a gift (was a Swarovski pen in our case) and of course champagne. The card's discount may be combined with Elite and coupon discounts.

They seem good to me but it would be nice if they had a private lounge like Royal Caribbean.

I agree, I think that is the one huge difference b/t the 2 lines for perks. We love the nightly complimentary cocktail hour on Royal whereas Princess has the food, but no free drinks.

Other thing I like is on Royal is the free ironing, don't get that on Princess that I could find.

Otherwise, we love Princess, had a wonderful Cruise in Dec on Ruby and plan to cruise on Princess again

At the Elite level you get free laundry and internet minutes.

You get the same on Royal plus the free ironing and cocktail hours. Basically they are not much different, but I think the free cocktails in the evening is far superior to the bar set up on Princess. We also get VIP tender tickets on Royal so don't have to wait to get on the tenders. As soon as they open them up, we can go, same as on Princess.

However, we love both lines and will continue to cruise both lines.

Edited by karena1

Other thing I like is on Royal is the free ironing, don't get that on Princess that I could find.

Not that we've ever done it but I think you can send in garments for pressing only since if it was washed they still would have to iron them anyway.

We find it easier & quicker to just go to the laundry room & do it our selves if the item is that wrinkled.

Not that we've ever done it but I think you can send in garments for pressing only since if it was washed they still would have to iron them anyway.

We find it easier & quicker to just go to the laundry room & do it our selves if the item is that wrinkled.

Ironing is part of the laundry process and is included in the Elite Free Laundry perk. We have send off my tuxedo shirt and wife's gown for pressing when we board.

Ironing is part of the laundry process and is included in the Elite Free Laundry perk. We have send off my tuxedo shirt and wife's gown for pressing when we board.

The ability to do it yourself when you discover at the last minute that something needs ironing is also a nice option on Princess (not available on Celebrity) even if you ARE Elite.

Like you, I cruise for itinerary and price. The unlimited laundry, generous Internet and 10% discount on all shop sales is nice. What keeps me sailing on Princess is the ability to book using a discount TA, often saving 10-20% and all of the OBC I can combine: TA, FCC, shareholder, promotion and loyalty, often adding up to over $500 OBC. Just re-booked my February cruise and I'm paying about $900 less than current pricing on Princess for the same cabin category. Add all of my OBC to that and it makes cruising Princess very attractive to me. My Elite and Loyalty perks are the icing on the cake. :)

We haven't done all the Princess itineraries yet, so we have a lot of cruising still to go, but Pam makes a good point. I also book using a discount TA, which gets me a nice savings over Princess rates, plus combining all that great OBC - which essentially pays the bar bill, the specialty restaurant bill and part of the excursion bill. In fact on our last two cruise sequences (6 B2B's) our on board bills for 52 days of simply cruising came out to less than $15 per day TOTAL. (Our dogs cost $50 per day for boarding!) That's with a few excursions, Chef's table, photos, Crown Grill, several bottles of wine, drinks and Christmas shopping - T's and Caps for everyone (and at a 10% discount)!

And we now have 6 blank coffee cards from trading in mini-bars...

And I for one do not discount the free laundry perk. It saves packing space, it saves Judy's time (she will not let me do laundry) and it makes me less offensive to fellow passengers in elevators!

Its very easy for elite benefits to add up to several hundred dollars per cruise depending on the length. In fact on one recent 7 day cruise, just looked at my receipt, we saved over $400 on laundry, internet, 10% off, coffee cards and elite OBC.

People ask us on board why we cruise only with Princess. Its very simple. We like the product, and the value we get with the Elite benefits just makes it that much more attractive.

When the product changes sufficiently to pull us away from Princess, or another line offers experiences that exceed Princess for better value, then we will re-evaluate things at that time. That's what's so great about competition.