How do you end your cruise?

We always stay a day or two in Florida and take the train back to Boston-so we have a slow transition back to Maine and a cool Spring.

The train sounds like a relaxing way to make it back home.:)

We always stay a day or two in Florida and take the train back to Boston-so we have a slow transition back to Maine and a cool Spring.

For the last several years we too take the train back to Richmond. It's such a civilized way to get to and from Fort Lauderdale. We despise the planes and the cattle call way you are treated.

If we are driving home from the port, we eat a quick continental breakfast and depart as early as possible to hit the road!

If we are flying home, then the opposite: a leisurely breakfast, let the crowds stand in line at the debarking gate, find their luggage, stand in line through customs, and get out of the way. Then we depart - either to the airport or a hotel overnight before flying home.

BTW, we seldom drive to and from the airport anymore. We love the ride home in style using ExecuCar of DFW.

You just don't feel the love on the last morning.

Man youre right .. all the same staff who waited on you, smiled at you, got you your cocktails and couldn't do enough for you are now wearing those safety vests, holding their walkie-talkies at the stairwells and elevators, barking at you to crowd in here .. or to move over there... or to keep moving .. or shouting "NO, its not time yet" ... or "Sir, I need you out of this area!!" ...

Your cabin steward who was your buddy the past several days is now tapping their foot, standing there impatiently and nervously, arms folded and rolling their eyes waiting for you to get the heck outta their way so they can get to to work for the next people.

All the passengers you joked with, smiled at, chatted with and had a good time with are barreling into you, pushing you outta the way, scowling and grumbling trying to be the first off the ship as they drag their V.W. sized rollerbags into the stairwells ...

Yea ... last morning kinda sux! The magic is over! :(

When your cruise is coming to an end, is there anything special you do? Do you go straight to the airport? Do you have breakfast? Do you carry down your own luggage? Take a taxi? Do you try to stick around as long as you can? I have done so many cruises and I feel like every time I have done something different!

I try to book a late departure so that I can enjoy some time in the departure city. Usually this is a shore excursion. For my next cruise I am going to take a tour of the Kennedy Space Center.

Man youre right .. all the same staff who waited on you, smiled at you, got you your cocktails and couldn't do enough for you are now wearing those safety vests, holding their walkie-talkies at the stairwells and elevators, barking at you to crowd in here .. or to move over there... or to keep moving .. or shouting "NO, its not time yet" ... or "Sir, I need you out of this area!!" ...

Your cabin steward who was your buddy the past several days is now tapping their foot, standing there impatiently and nervously, arms folded and rolling their eyes waiting for you to get the heck outta their way so they can get to to work for the next people.

All the passengers you joked with, smiled at, chatted with and had a good time with are barreling into you, pushing you outta the way, scowling and grumbling trying to be the first off the ship as they drag their V.W. sized rollerbags into the stairwells ...

Yea ... last morning kinda sux! The magic is over! :(

This might be the most honest, truest thing ever written on Cruise Critic.

When your cruise is coming to an end, is there anything special you do? Do you go straight to the airport? Do you have breakfast? Do you carry down your own luggage? Take a taxi? Do you try to stick around as long as you can? I have done so many cruises and I feel like every time I have done something different!

I get up super early to watch the ship pull into port. Then quickly shower & breakfast on the pool deck. Take one last look around, snapping my final pics, then carry my bags off. I prefer to stay an extra day after my trip so I usually work my way back to my hotel and spend the day relaxing and remembering the high points.

I'm typically showered, dressed and ready to take my bags downstairs before the ship even docks because on a previous cruise I thought doing breakfast was a good idea and I was doing self disembarkation and all of the elevators were full when I got back from the windjammer.

I had to carry all of my bags downstairs and make multiple trips up and down the stairs from one of the highest decks, it was horrible. So from them on, I have just skipped breakfast and made sure I'm one of the first ones downstairs lol!!!

Yeah, I have to agree with the "no love on the last morning" thing. Actually, I think the magic begins to die on the last night at sea because you have to spend time packing. Our habits:

Night before

- Pack everything, leaving out only one "wear home" outfit

- Get to bed at a sensible hour, so as to be ready for the 8-hour drive

Last morning

- Up early, showers, add our few last items to the suitcase

- Abandon toiletries in the bathroom rather than packing them

- Enjoyable, but quick breakfast in the buffet

- Self-disembarkation (worst word ever, not only because it's ugly sounding)

- Straight to the car and north towards home

The only unique thing I can add to this discussion is that we always make a point to leave the car "road ready" before we board the ship. That is, the night before we board, we make sure to gas up the car, clean out any trash, and just generally make sure it'll be ready to hit the road. This allows us to hit the road ASAP . . . and NOT to need to pull over ten minutes later to gas up. It makes something moderately unpleasant . . . a little better.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='OCruisers'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Normally, we've had a great cruise experience and are happy to get back home and look forward to doing another. :)
LuLu [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

We try to make sure we have another cruise already booked that we can looked forward to going on.

This may just be the most depressing cruise-related thread ever.

Reality that the cruise is over sets in when we start packing the night before. Hopefully there's a good show to relieve some of that end-of-cruise funk.

Morning just feels like a travel day, grab breakfast, get off the ship, get the luggage, go through customs. It's just like getting off a plane. Except it's the beginning of the trip home.

The only time we ever flew for a cruise was this past December. But it was down inf Florida where we used to live, so we spent the weekends on either end of the cruise with family, so there was no rush to the airport.

It isn't the last morning that kills me it's the last couple hours at the pool! I actually well up and tear as I turn in my pool towel for the last time. I have been cruising for many years and this has always been the killer for me. As I leave the pool deck for the last time I have a flash back of all past trips. I remember my DD when she was only 5 on her first cruise and the many wonderful trips we have taken with my in laws and family and friends in tow. I think for a second what if I never do this again? What if life doesn't allow it? If you see me I may look sad but I am grateful and full of joy that I have had the opportunity to build more memories. That's what life is all about.. The memories. When I get up the last morning I do breakfast in the windjammer. Last time I left a penny in the cabin safe hoping to bring luck to the next person with a little note. I take a long walk thru the promenade or center of the ship and then happily go home. 😘

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='Ocean View']It isn't the last morning that kills me it's the last couple hours at the pool! I actually well up and tear as I turn in my pool towel for the last time. I have been cruising for many years and this has always been the killer for me. As I leave the pool deck for the last time I have a flash back of all past trips. I remember my DD when she was only 5 on her first cruise and the many wonderful trips we have taken with my in laws and family and friends in tow. I think for a second what if I never do this again? What if life doesn't allow it? If you see me I may look sad but I am grateful and full of joy that I have had the opportunity to build more memories. That's what life is all about.. The memories. When I get up the last morning I do breakfast in the windjammer. Last time I left a penny in the cabin safe hoping to bring luck to the next person with a little note. I take a long walk thru the promenade or center of the ship and then happily go home. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

I will agree that handing in my pool towel and not just exchanging it for a dry one, gives me the stark reality that the cruise in coming to an end.

We usually get up, pack the last few things in a carry-on and then head for breakfast in the Windjammer. We go back to the cabin and collect our carry-ons and leave our cabin for our anxious, hard working cabin attendant. We walk through the Promenade one more time, if the ship has one, and then sit in a public area and wait for our section to be called. Then off to the airport and the mess that always is on cruise ship day.

Our cruise in February will be our first back to back. After the first week, when we are not departing on departure day, I wonder what time the atmosphere on the ship changes back to a friendly, welcoming one. I know I will wake up happy that day! :)