Zuiderdam & Zaandam to the Rescue!!!

Crazy For Cats

I noticed on the CCL page this afternoon that on January 3, 2015 the Zuiderdam rescued 8 crew members from a sinking ship. They were about 15 miles from the ship and picked them up giving them food etc. The rescued crew was taken to Aruba. The other ship involved was the Excalibur.

Holland America Line’s ms Zuiderdam Rescues Eight Crewmembers From Sinking Vessel in the Caribbean

ms Zaandam also assists seven crewmembers from the yacht Polonus in Antarctica

Seattle, Wash., Jan. 8, 2015 – At 2:10 a.m. Jan. 3, 2015, while en route to Oranjestad, Aruba, Holland America Line’s ms Zuiderdam answered a distress call from the Bahamian inter-island vessel Excalibur that was sinking with eight crewmembers onboard. Zuiderdam was approximately 15 miles away and the closest ship in the area.

Zuiderdam altered course and was able to successfully execute a nighttime rescue of all eight crewmembers at 3:01 a.m. The ship brought them onboard and provided food and accommodations. The rescued crewmembers debarked in Aruba on Jan. 5.

“Congratulations to the officers and crew onboard Zuiderdam for their quick response that saved the lives of eight people,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “We are proud to be able to come to the rescue when called upon, and it’s even more gratifying when everything goes as smoothly as this operation did.”

Zuiderdam currently is in the middle of a 10-night Panama Canal cruise roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that departed Jan. 2 with calls at Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Oranjestad, Aruba: Willemstad, Curaçao; and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica in addition to a partial Panama Canal transit.

In addition, on Jan. 4 ms Zaandam came to the aid of seven crewmembers from the sailing yacht Polonus that were staying at the Arctowski Polish research station at King George Island in Antarctica. The crew, all Polish nationals, were stranded after their yacht went aground. They are being taken to Buenos Aires, Argentina, and will disembark Jan. 11.

Editor’s note: Photos are available at www2.cleanpix.com/cleanpix/portal/WXHW-my5-Q9B.

Just received this from Vessel Tracker:

Name: ZUIDERDAM (Link Below)

IMO: 9221279

Time: 09-01-2015 09:25:14 UTC

NEWS:

At 2:10 a.m. Jan. 3, 2015, while en route to Oranjestad, Aruba, Holland America Line’s ms Zuiderdam answered a distress call from the Bahamian inter-island vessel Excalibur that was sinking with eight crewmembers onboard. Zuiderdam was approximately 15 miles away and the closest ship in the area.

Zuiderdam altered course and was able to successfully execute a nighttime rescue of all eight crewmembers at 3:01 a.m. The ship brought them onboard and provided food and accommodations. The rescued crewmembers debarked in Aruba on Jan. 5.

“Congratulations to the officers and crew onboard Zuiderdam for their quick response that saved the lives of eight people,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “We are proud to be able to come to the rescue when called upon, and it’s even more gratifying when everything goes as smoothly as this operation did.”

Zuiderdam currently is in the middle of a 10-night Panama Canal cruise roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that departed Jan. 2 with calls at Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Oranjestad, Aruba: Willemstad, Curaçao; and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica in addition to a partial Panama Canal transit.

In addition, on Jan. 4 ms Zaandam came to the aid of seven crewmembers from the sailing yacht Polonus that were staying at the Arctowski Polish research station at King George Island in Antarctica. The crew, all Polish nationals, were stranded after their yacht went aground. They are being taken to Buenos Aires, Argentina, and will disembark Jan. 11.

ZUIDERDAM http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Zuiderdam-I273321.html

WAY TO GO to Both Zuiderdam and Zaandam Crews!!!!!

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

This has already been reported in another thread below. Thank you very much though.

Sorry about that. I did look for something about this before I started this thread. I have not seen the other thread so was unaware of it. I guess the rescues slipped to a 2nd or even 3rd page...........

Joanie

Sorry about that. I did look for something about this before I started this thread. I have not seen the other thread so was unaware of it. I guess the rescues slipped to a 2nd or even 3rd page...........

Joanie

Actually the Zuiderdam post is still on the first page. It was posted by Crazy For Cats.

On the ball, again! On a TA, once, the Eurodam, we hurried over to a small boat floating near the Azores, I think it was, to check, but there was no one in the boat, so it was reported to the Portuguese or the Spanish. Someone is always watching - or listening, as the case may be!

On the ball, again! On a TA, once, the Eurodam, we hurried over to a small boat floating near the Azores, I think it was, to check, but there was no one in the boat, so it was reported to the Portuguese or the Spanish. Someone is always watching - or listening, as the case may be!

What will usually happen is that ships, any ships, close to the area of the ship/boat in trouble will pick up the distress call/mayday and/or are directed to that area by the nearest Rescue Coordination Center.

Both the 1958 Geneva Convention on the High Seas and the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), provide that every state shall require the master of a vessel flying its flag, insofar as can be done without serious danger to the ship, crew, or passengers, to render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost and to proceed with all possible speed to the rescue of persons in distress if informed of their need for assistance, insofar as it can reasonably be expected.

In addition, SOLAS requires the master of every merchant ship and private vessel to assist persons in distress and to broadcast warning messages with respect to dangerous conditions or hazards encountered at sea.

Well done Zaandam and Zuiderdam. There seems to be a rash of accidents these days. This one involves the Behemoth of the Seas and a Disney ship. Scary, scary, scary:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147946

Roy

4-5 hrs. treading water!:eek: That guy is a good swimmer and also an incredibly lucky man!

What will usually happen is that ships, any ships, close to the area of the ship/boat in trouble will pick up the distress call/mayday and/or are directed to that area by the nearest Rescue Coordination Center.

Both the 1958 Geneva Convention on the High Seas and the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), provide that every state shall require the master of a vessel flying its flag, insofar as can be done without serious danger to the ship, crew, or passengers, to render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost and to proceed with all possible speed to the rescue of persons in distress if informed of their need for assistance, insofar as it can reasonably be expected.

In addition, SOLAS requires the master of every merchant ship and private vessel to assist persons in distress and to broadcast warning messages with respect to dangerous conditions or hazards encountered at sea.

a few years ago the Eurodam rescued a couple of fishermen off a sinking boat between HMC and Port Everglades.

a few years ago the Eurodam rescued a couple of fishermen off a sinking boat between HMC and Port Everglades.

Evenin' Father; someone video taped part of that rescue - 23 Oct 2010 - from their balcony. It shows EUDM's fast rescue boat taking off the crew of the stricken fishing boat on her starboard side; then taking them to the EUDM starboard side tender platform

Edited by Copper10-8

WELL DONE HAL !!!

I bet most of the passengers slept right through the rescue as it took place around 3am. I wouldn't want anyone to sink but I would have loved to watch the rescue if it did happen :)

Being 3am, it was dark. The seas had been moderate to heavy (in fact it was a really rough 10 days - Puerto Limon was cancelled because of the swell).

I woke at 3 am as the ships motion had changed and she was wallowing in the water and making no forward movement.

I only looked out and did not go out the the verandah, just back to bed!

Several years ago on the Zuiderdam Cpt Turner made an announcement that he would not be attending the Cpt's cocktail party due to a receiving a mayday call and the need to assist in a rescue. The engines became loud with very noticable vibrations as the ship increased speed. I will always remember feeling so good that a large cruise ship would go out of its way to help a small boat and its passengers.

Marcia