Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

Thats what he does. And if you try to refute him with facts, he screens your comments and doesnt post them on his site. This man is a joke. Its all just to further his "cruise lines are evil" anti cruising agenda.

Evidently he was not hugged enough as a child OR maybe his parents went on a cruise and abandoned him :p He does seem like a first class d**che nozzle, especially if someone gets hurt on a ship's Flowrider - yesh.

Thanks. Leave it to a lawyer to use selective context.

!

There is one 'professor' that has even more selective context. They are both highlighted in this expose by Travel Weekly about a year ago.

This 'professor' is used as an 'expert' witness by the other and together they make quite a good living 'targeting' the cruise industry.

He is known to vehemently attack anyone who disagrees with his point of view and has a 'presence' on the internet.

http://www.travelweekly.com/richard-turen/the-new-wave-of-attacks-on-the-cruise-industry/?cid=eltrdb

We are currently on Oasis and this is news to us. If I had seen this earlier I would have gone to the Captains talk. Seas were a little choppy but nothing really bad. We did see the security guards walking around the ship with photocopies of someone's picture, but they do that several days a week.

The Diseny blog said he was transported to a local hospital in Cozumel.

I wonder if he re-joined the Oasis?

Edited by dz9yvr

First, passengers are not permitted on the helipad on the Oasis/Allure. I do not even know how he could have accessed it.

Further, if he did, I am sure that he would have been noticed immediately by the bridge and action would have been taken.

Not necessarily if it happened at night.

True, and a long sleeved shirt or jacket that zips up can also be used as a floatation device (zip it up as far as you can, roll on your back and blow into the opening at the neck, then roll to your stomach). We teach both techniques in open water lifeguard training. Guards have to go from fully clothed to executing an in-water rescue within 60 seconds, and have to use either their pants or shirt as the floatation device. With the pants, another technique that works quite well is to tie the legs together and then swing the pants over your head so they inflate as you slap the waist down on the water, then stick your head and arms through the opening and cinch the waist closed with your hands.

Actually, I learned that technique in life guard training conducted by the Boy Scouts. They will inflate some swing them over your head, but it's my experience that you wind up having to blow air into them as I described anyway. Thought I'd keep the explanation simple enough for someone to remember in case they had to actually use the technique.

I don't like that the scumbag lawyer printed that the cruise ship wasn't even aware that he was gone.

Does he realize that we all aren't imbedded with a GPS tracking system under our skin when we board? Unless someone can see a passenger go over or someone is reported missing, I would have to assume that they are still on board.

***I refuse to say the scumbag lawyers name. I don't want to give him any sort of name recognition.

Edited by ksuds

With Oasis not knowing that they had a passenger overboard and having had Serenade pass 2 hours later along with 2 Carnival ships and the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, it was certainly with a great deal of luck that he was spotted by the Disney Magic that was coming into port 3 hours behind Oasis if they were on schedule.

I haven't read the articles yet, but I thought by the time Disney spotted them ships were out looking. Even then it still takes luck.

Thanks. Leave it to a lawyer to use selective context.

I thought there were heat signature cameras that were in use today, not just video, something similar to a FLIR system. I am surprised to learn actually that the technology was not advanced as I had thought. So all in all a very lucky rescue for this guy!

I'm using pure speculation at this point, but if they have it, it may have more false alarms than actual reports. If they go back from recordings maybe they would find it. I have an IR equipped security camera on my hot tub and it has so many false hits, if I am looking for a particular event, I have to search through hits.

Not sure the flare came from him. Possibly the Magic did that to keep his location in site while they set out the rescue dingy.

I would imagine that was the case. One day watching the Port Everglades webcam a Princess ship leaving had someone toss overboard a life preserver and it let out a smoke stream just like that.

That had to be one crazy wave. Where they in a monsoon???:eek:

Sounds like he was doing something he shouldn't have, like sitting on the rail and fell in. Then had to come up with another excuse to blame it on the ship/ocean. Also, if he was on the bow, the watchers/spotters up on the bridge should have seen him.

I wonder how he wasn't seriously injured or killed by falling off the front of the ship. I think he would have had to thrown a long ways sideways not to be run over by the ship.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, while the law is written, the regulations pertaining to that law are not.

From Law360:

Law360, New York (March 25, 2014, 3:54 PM ET) -- During a Tuesday hearing on cruise ship regulatory oversight, a U.S. Coast Guard official told the National Transportation Safety Board that there is still no set timeline for when the agency will be ready to put forward passenger safety rulemaking mandated by Congress in 2010.

Capt. Eric P. Christensen, chief traveling inspector for the Coast Guard, acknowledged that the agency still has no scheduled date for when it will come out with proposed rules for how cruise ships may comply with man-overboard detection systems mandated by the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act.

So you really can't berate the cruise lines for not complying with regulations that don't even exist yet. Even NCL, which the lawyer calls out for complying with the law, doesn't comply.

And also keep in mind that the currently existing systems mostly are designed for passengers or crew members that are actively wearing devices that detect when they enter the water. They are not passive systems designed for general purpose use. There is a patent filed for a laser based overboard detection system but, to my knowledge, that has not even been fully developed yet.

I wonder how he wasn't seriously injured or killed by falling off the front of the ship. I think he would have had to thrown a long ways sideways not to be run over by the ship.

I believe it has something to do with the bulbous thing under the bow. I saw a special on the building of the mega ships, and apparently that thing is designed to create a horizontal wave that moves the water hitting the front of the ship away from the hull and gives the ship a calmer surface to sail in. I don't understand hydrodynamics (I'm not even sure I spelled it right), but according to the show, it makes the props work more efficiently to move the ship.

Edited by orville99

I would imagine that was the case. One day watching the Port Everglades webcam a Princess ship leaving had someone toss overboard a life preserver and it let out a smoke stream just like that.

and you can be sure I saw that on the cam :) :)

This is interesting. Did a passenger fall off the bow of a ship where passengers can't go with flares? How in the heck did a passenger a) get to the bow, and b) happen to be carrying flares?????

As for "clothing" used as flotation, I am a retired Coast Guard Pilot. That was a technique taught to us in training, and we were required to use it to float in a pool for an hour without touching bottom or sides. It works extremely well. A technique that all cruise passengers should keep in mind.

I don't believe that was a flare in the picture. If you look at both pictures closely the second one also has an orange glare in it...and both of those orange glares appear to be a reflection off of a window. I could be wrong, but that's what I saw in them.

Glad to hear the gentleman is ok!

Makes me speculate he was drunk. Kind of how drunk drivers seem to survive wild car accidents; their bodies are not tensed up. Falling from the bow of the ship is basically like falling off a 4 or 5 story building! If he had been knocked unconscious by the shock the outcome here would have been different. It's really incredible

Seriously. What is up with Oasis these days? Seems like a string of bad luck. Wasn't there just a drowning and another medical crisis on the past 2 cruises. Getting a little nervous about what will happen on ours in the next week or so. :eek:

Koohiichan