Unsafest Ports?

elainmir

I'm thinking of booking the next cruise and realize things have gone downhill in some ports over the last few years..what in your opinion are the top 3 unsafest ports and why?

Right now, I'd say Puerto Vallarta (crime), Cape Town (crime and political volatility) and Istanbul (political volatility).

I truly hate these "safety" questions. Many here on CC seem to limit their universe to the Caribbean or perhaps Mexican Riviera, but that is just a tiny part of the total cruise world. We have cruised around 6 continents (never been to Antarctica) and no place in the Caribbean would even make our top 20 list. But if one wants to consider the Caribbean, the only island we can recall where a cruiser was shot and killed was on the island of St Thomas where a 14 year old American female cruiser was caught in the cross fire to two druggies just off the beach at Coki (where many cruise passengers go to snorkel). Personally, having been to well over 100 ports around the world we think the most dangerous was Constanta, Romania. The only place that DW and I have ever been threated with guns was trying to get back in the port of Tunis, Tunisia (about 15 years ago) when the soldiers guarding the port decided to have some "fun" at our expense. When I was in the military, I never appreciated anyone pointing a weapon in my direction, and when the port guards pointed 2 automatic weapons at DW and myself...I was totally furious. It was only when we demanded to see an officer that the issue was resolved. We were again in Tunisia about 18 months ago and all was fine.

Hank

The only port we have ever thought about our safety in was Montego Bay. Not at all what we expected!

I have never cruised before, first is on Reflection on February 7, but I have stayed in Jamaica 9 times. Montego Bay, Negril, Ochi and surrounding areas. I have never had a problem in any of those areas. Never felt unsafe. In Ochi we walked out of the resort and right into the town. People trying to sell tours or taxi rides or souvenirs can be found on all the Islands. I always smile and say "no thank you" and keep right along walking. Unless, of course, I am interested. No problem. Going in June to Riu Ocho Rios for 10 nights. LOVE JAMAICA! The only problem for me cruising there is that I wouldn't be able to stay.:D

-

But I can't think of a single Caribbean port that I would avoid because of crime. Just like at home, be smart about where you go and how you get there. Don't be a tourist and don't make yourself an easy target. Crooks salivate over tourists in the wrong place at the wrong time with a dumb, clueless look on their face.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And I totally agree with this Tapi :)

A little story about 'Safety'.

I live in a small city, in BC Canada, judged, ten years ago as one of the six best cities to retire in, in N. America, four others were in the U.S., and the last one was in Canada.

At times in the past when I had to wait, at 10.00 pm, for my wife to pick me downtown in the street, I would hide my wallet and ring when no one was looking, until she arrived.

In 1998 a whole family was shot to death, about a mile from us, six months ago a friend of mine was stabbed in the park.

No place IMO is safe, in N America, other than Quebec City wherever you go, walk with a purpose, I feel safer in any part of the Caribbean.

john

Never had a problem outside of the gates in Belize. We found folks there to be quite friendly. I think the cruise lines tell people it's unsafe so that they stay and shop in the port area built for the cruisers.

Bing! We have had the same experience. Have never felt particularly unsafe in any cruise port we have visited, including many that seem to always be mentioned in these type of threads. I think some people simply equate poor, different looking, different behaving or frankly anyone outside of their own culture as somehow inherently suspicious.

Bing! We have had the same experience. Have never felt particularly unsafe in any cruise port we have visited, including many that seem to always be mentioned in these type of threads. I think some people simply equate poor, different looking, different behaving or frankly anyone outside of their own culture as somehow inherently suspicious.
It's not a case of not going - it's a matter of knowing what you're doing. When we first visited Belize, our guide (not booked through the cruise line) cautioned us about certain areas and suggested areas that were okay to visit. His uncle was one of the vendors outside the gate (much better prices than inside the port area, as you might imagine).

I won't leave the ship in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios

and now I hear reports of Nassau being less than the safest place to visit.

There were times we were careful to not roam far from the ship in Guadeloupe.

These are the ports why God made ship's tours, see?

Like when we stopped at Tunis, and at Rome

(-with Civitavecchia Port fifty long miles away from Rome!)

You didn't really think we were going to DIY, did you?

And I didn't travel all that way to stay on the ship either.

Say after me: Spring for the ships tours.

That's why they're there. Not for every-port use,

but they do come in handy from cruise to cruise. ;)

Also, we had heard about how unsafe the Johannesburg airport could be but ourexperience was the opposite; very friendly, helpful locals who looked after us on our way to our bed and breakfast.

As to ship tours being safer, I am not so sure. Nothing sticks out like a bunch of people together whereas one or two who dress low-key, know some of the local language and customs seem less likely to be noticed.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I have never been to a port I consider unsafe (even Cartagena) as it always seems the ships dock in tourist havens with lots of security.

However for recent Political events my vote would be Istanbul and Kusadasi (close to Syria) and some consideration for St Petersburg, Tunis and Columbo.

All the ports above I would go to (some already been) however.

We were locked in a government facility in Caracas during a riot. It was very scary seeing all the soldiers running with machine guns. We were also in a near riot in Quito, Equador. A demonstration was quickly turning violent. Pushing, shoving and bottle throwing.

Both times, our Princess and Celebrity guides respectively got us out of there safely.

Had we been by ourselves with just a local guide, I strongly feel it could have turned out differently.

The only time I felt truly scared was trying to get back to the ship walking alone with my hubby, at night, using his "shortcut" in San Juan. We ended up going through a hole in a chainlink fence to reach the ship. It was Christmas Eve and we passed quite a few locals who had been celebrating and even with my limited Spanish, I knew they were discussing us.

There are many different implications when discussing whether or not a port is "unsafe" and how and when cruise lines decide to drop such ports from their itineraries.

There are currently US State Dept warnings for much of the Pacific ports in Mexico, as well as mainland Honduras (excluding Island of Roatan) yet after a few years' lull the number of calls there are back on the increase.

Civil unrest has of course ended virtually all cruises to Ukraine and all other Black Sea ports, as well as Thailand. Which begs the question as to when these calls are resumed in the future, are the first passengers guinea pigs testing the port's safety (see Mexico above)?

And with the expanded cruising in Asia there are now port call at places such as Myanmar and Brunei--countries that while not explicitly unsafe have rules and rulers not exactly friendly to Westerners. Plus the continued use of Singapore as a turnaround port, where a tourist caught chewing gum in public is subject to government-sanctioned corporal punishment. (I would certainly call that "unsafe" in my book)

But I guess the textbook definition of unsafe would apply to a port that I have enjoyed visiting several times on a land vacation: Lima, Peru where ships often call overnight but warn passengers not to leave the ship after dark unless in an organized tour group or with transportation to the city center pre-arranged. An unfortunately necessary warning for the neighborhood surrounding the port.

Thailand, Myanmar & Brunei are all extremely safe, as is Singapore (I hate gum anyway) and all actively promote and welcome tourism.

A coup can happen without warning and I would regard this differently to personal crime.

I'm thinking of booking the next cruise and realize things have gone downhill in some ports over the last few years..what in your opinion are the top 3 unsafest ports and why?

we go by two criteria: the State Department Naughty List, and the Navy Off Limits list.

Most of the west Coast of Mexico is off limits to all Navy Personnel. interestingly, Cozumel is okay, so we may actually get off that day week after next. but last year when we took our CA Coastal, he had to swear/promise to NOT get off the ship in Ensenada. otherwise they would not approve his leave request. ( yes we stayed on board)

as for Haiti the section that the cruise lines pul into is apart from the areas where all the unrest is.

I was very uncomfortable in the Dominican Republic. We tendered in from NCL & I suppose my 1st clue that this was going to be . . . unusual . . .was they didn't even have a Diamonds International. :eek: I thought they were to cruise ports what McDonald is to the rest of the world . . . ubiquitous with the same level of quality.

As a traveler you need to be vigilant & intelligent, not matter where you are.

I never felt unsafe in Jamaica. Annoyed by the push vendors, sure, but not afraid.

I have felt concerned at various times in various big cities: NYC, Philly, Camden NJ, London, Paris, Dublin, etc but it was usually because I did something dumb, went off by myself, made a wrong turn & wandered into a less savory part of the city by accident. I just turned around & went back the way I came or hopped in a cab.

I have felt concerned at various times in various big cities: NYC, Philly, Camden NJ, London, Paris, Dublin, etc but it was usually because I did something dumb, went off by myself, made a wrong turn & wandered into a less savory part of the city by accident. I just turned around & went back the way I came or hopped in a cab.

This is very true, many years ago my wife and I took a wrong turn in Seattle, this was the only time that I, at least felt scared. This taught me in later life to investigate first, and if I can't find out, I [we] don't do it.

john

And with the expanded cruising in Asia there are now port call at places such as Myanmar and Brunei--countries that while not explicitly unsafe have rules and rulers not exactly friendly to Westerners. Plus the continued use of Singapore as a turnaround port, where a tourist caught chewing gum in public is subject to government-sanctioned corporal punishment. (I would certainly call that "unsafe" in my book)

I think you'll find it's not illegal to chew gum in Singapore, however it is illegal to sell or import chewing gum. One of the cleanest and safest places we have ever visited ;).

In our experience, Palermo in Sicily is not one of the safest of places. I would advise not using their public bus service, and leave it there. Never thought I could run as fast, barefoot at that, until our day there (Bolt comes to mind). Getting back on the ship was the biggest relief of my life - needless to say, our kids do not ever want to return :eek:.

All cities throughout the world have good and bad areas. I'll never forget my GP asking where we were travelling to on holiday and I reciprocated the question, trying to make friendly conversation as you do. You can imagine my face when he replied, 'Beirut, I have a holiday home there!' :eek:

Based on my experience, here are my worst ports for the world and for the US.

Alexandria, Egypt

Naples, Italy

Ankara, Turkey

Los Angeles

NYC

Miami

Having said this, Alexandria is the only port where I would refuse to get of the ship (and I have).

Agree, Montego Bay, Nassau, and Belize. We didnt like the aggressivness of the merchants, and the pushing drugs right out in the open in Montego Bay.. We were walking down the street to Margarettaville and were approached by drug dealers two seperate times. Nassau has had a huge rise in crime the last few years. If you stay with the crowd you should be ok. As for Belize, a tour guide told us never to roam Belize City or venture into the countryside alone.