What to do at Jamaica without traveling?

marcelorsc

Hi,

I'd like to visit and have some Jamaican feeling while in Falmouth, and would like some advise about the best options!

But I prefer something with no traveling, or doing long trips. It seems to me that long trips usually doesn't worth the time actually spent there - like Ocho Rios, that the photos we can find in Google reveals a much less pleasant place than the RCCL photos suggests... (please be free to comment if I'm wrong, and if there are longer trips that really worth)

What are the options when there, to let us able to say later "I was at Jamaica"? Just disembark and walk around? Where to go, what to do?

Thanks and regards!!

I'm assuming your port is Falmouth. If so, you would have to travel Dunns River Falls about an hour each way. It's a beautiful waterfall that you can climb and really unique since you start from a beach. Jamaica is not our favorite port and we usually walk around Falmouth and enjoy the ship when there. You can go to Rose Hall, which is nearby and they have a ships tour to get you there and back. I would not recommend venturing out of the port on your own at Falmouth...just my opinion though.

Falmouth is an actual Jamaican town outside the gates of the port area. There are vendors set up outside the gates as well as inside the port area. You can go into town and dine or sit at a bar or just walk around. You can experience Jamaica as you wish. We sort of prefer not to, but you are certainly free to go and explore as you wish.

There is a nice walking path along the shoreline (waterfront), and it is a very pretty country. :) There is a walking tour map, too. I will have to see if I have it bookmarked.

Posted by CC member dmwnc1959, link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/8079998133/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Walking tour:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/8080101772/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Edited by Coralc

Hi,

I'd like to visit and have some Jamaican feeling while in Falmouth, and would like some advise about the best options!

But I prefer something with no traveling, or doing long trips. It seems to me that long trips usually doesn't worth the time actually spent there - like Ocho Rios, that the photos we can find in Google reveals a much less pleasant place than the RCCL photos suggests... (please be free to comment if I'm wrong, and if there are longer trips that really worth)

What are the options when there, to let us able to say later "I was at Jamaica"? Just disembark and walk around? Where to go, what to do?

Thanks and regards!!

Our opinion, Falmouth is the arm pit of Jamaica!:eek:

We just hang out at the port RCL built, or stay on the ship!

The excursions for us there were never worthwhile, and its too far to get anywhere decent!

Our suggestion, try to take a cruise without this port, or stay on the ship like many do!

Not our favourite port. Cuban Cigar place in the port (over priced) Jerk Chicken restaurant in the port (over priced). Go over to Margarittaville in the port, as they have a pool in there of use. Buy a few drinks and sit by the swim up bar for the day and relax. OR as already stated, stay on ship and relax cause others have left for the day.

:D

Falmouth is pretty seedy area outside of the gated compound. If that doesn't bother you, you can wander through the outdoor market and get some local food, but likely you won't want to. There are excursions that have travel distance well under an hour, if you are up to 20 to 30 minutes of travel there are some good cultural tour. Otherwise it's a good day to stay on the ship; my opinion. Nothing about the compound area has any culturally redeeming value as relates to Jamaica that I have seen in my stops there.

Probably our least favorite port, just felt unsafe in general.

I would recommend Dunn's River falls as a unique experience; climbing the actaul falls is not for those with any type of mobility impairment.

We went on a ship excursion. Our guide asked for his tips at the start (some sort of bull about getting cash out before it got wet), then ditched our group halfway up.

Great time to stay onboard.

You may want to ask your question here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Edited by sippican

Many people like Jamaica and feel safe there. We have been there twice, and as far as I'm concerned, I will never get off the ship there again. Our friends had a horrible experience there last year, and truly feared for their lives. I do not understand why the cruise lines still stop there. If you do want to "experience Jamaica," do it with a ship's organized excursion. I have no doubt there are many private tour operators who do a good job, and they want to present their country in a positive light, but, at the end of the day, Jamaica is a great port to stay on the ship and relax at the pool. JMO, of course.

I much prefered it when RCI docked in Ochos Rios. It just seems like they fabricated a port in Falmouth which just makes it necessary to travel to Ochos Rios or Montego Bay. I guess it is a big boon for taxi and van drivers.

Same here. For whatever reason, Liberty is stopping at Ocho Rios on a few itineraries the next few months.

Is there. A margaritaville in falmouth right off the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes in the secure area.

We bought T shirts there, it is a little shop outside of the restuarant before it, you cannot miss it.

Then went and put our feet in the "bar" pool at Margaritaville and for our DD we

".....had a Cheeseburger in Paradise" Pricey but, now she can say she did.

The only way we would leave the area is on a supervised tour.

Safe travels.

We took a ship excursion from Falmouth to Dunns River Falls with children and it was one of the memorable times we've ever had together. Lunch at Margarittaville was included.

It was about an hour each way in an air conditioned bus and it was mostly along the coast and the guide pointed out various things of interest. When we got to the Falls, she took us in the back entrance so we could avoid the gauntlet of vendors at the entrance.

We've been to Jamaica at least 4 times and have never had any problems nor have ever heard of any fellow passengers encountering anything other than annoying and pushy vendors.

If you don't want to see that much of the Jamaican countryside there are closer excursions. Unless you're the adventurous type I wouldn't venture out of the compound on foot, especially if you're a first time visitor.

Jamaica is a great place.

There is plenty of great stuff to see/do, just do some research.

You really want to travel all that way to sit on the ship and play bingo?

Don't let a few frightened people scare you.

They are the 1%...

While I would certainly caution tourists in Jamaica to be aware of their surroundings, I agree with what you have said. One of the most fun tours of our cruising experience has been hopping in a cab and handing the guy $100 and saying take us around, you decide what to show us. WOW! What an adventure we had. Very memorable. Had local roadside foods. Met the drivers family. Went to a beach not full of tourists. Got to hang out with a group and drink some local alcohol and had "big bomber". Gave the driver another $50 at the end. Best $150 experience one could ask for. VERY friendly people!

Best-

Steve

Edited by PhDUnderTheSea

You really want to travel all that way to sit on the ship and play bingo?

Don't let a few frightened people scare you.

They are the 1%...

Agree. Though with Jamaica it's more than 1% based on most comments at CC. They don't know what they're missing..................:rolleyes:

Falmouth is an actual Jamaican town outside the gates of the port area. There are vendors set up outside the gates as well as inside the port area. You can go into town and dine or sit at a bar or just walk around. You can experience Jamaica as you wish. We sort of prefer not to, but you are certainly free to go and explore as you wish.

There is a nice walking path along the shoreline (waterfront), and it is a very pretty country. :) There is a walking tour map, too. I will have to see if I have it bookmarked.

Posted by CC member dmwnc1959, link:

Thanks for posting! We were going to stay on the ship but think we'll go your route...

While I would certainly caution tourists in Jamaica to be aware of their surroundings, I agree with what you have said. One of the most fun tours of our cruising experience has been hopping in a cab and handing the guy $100 and saying take us around, you decide what to show us. WOW! What an adventure we had. Very memorable. Had local roadside foods. Met the drivers family. Went to a beach not full of tourists. Got to hang out with a group and drink some local alcohol and had "big bomber". Gave the driver another $50 at the end. Best $150 experience one could ask for. VERY friendly people!

Best-

Steve

I don't consider myself a 1%-er by any means but I'd never do this in Jamaica or any port. Independent excursion with a reputable company? Sure. Handing cash to a random cab driver? No way!

Steve

You sound like my kind of guy. Yes, you were taking some risk of course, but sitting here in my living room I could at any minute get hit by a meteorite crashing through the roof. Twenty years ago I stepped off a train in Varanasi, India and was approached by a pedal rickshaw driver (okay, maybe a hundred of them) and was quoted a rate of 5 rupees (then about US 15 cents) per hour. It is a great loss of face to not haggle over the price, but no way I was going to haggle over that price. I had him for parts of four days, and during that time we visited his home (a medium size shipping crate on the sidewalk, which was better than a lot of people had) and met his wife and son. I doubt that he had ever been to school, but I could understand his English better than most - rather than speaking Indian English, his English had been learned from travelers. He knew every restaurant in town that had been recommended by Lonely Planet, and this is the only time I have ever had a taxi driver wait "on the meter" while I went for dinner. I had paid him each day the agreed up amount, but when he dropped me off at the train station as I was departing I happily gave him a tip much larger than the sum of all the fares. To paraphrase you: Best $15 experience one could ask for.

Thom

I've been to Jamaica twice for a week each. Loved both times and never felt unsafe. The people are among the most friendly in the Caribbean. Now Nassau on the other hand...there I was harassed. Thus our choice of the western rather than the eastern route for our upcoming trip.

I don't consider myself a 1%-er by any means but I'd never do this in Jamaica or any port. Independent excursion with a reputable company? Sure. Handing cash to a random cab driver? No way!

I've ridden with hundreds of cab drivers and had never met any of them before, so I guess they were all "randem"......................:rolleyes: