Upgrade from junior to grand suite?

We ( my two sisters and I )are sailing next week on explorer. My sixth cruise, their first. We Had booked an inside stateroom but I secretly upgraded to a junior suite as a surprise and I paid the extra 1400.00 from the inside to junior. I have never been in anything larger than a balcony. The junior was only a couple hundred more than balcony so I went for it. Now the suite prices have dropped and travel agent said I could upgrade to a grand for 646.00 more but it also comes with 250.00 onboard credit so in reality it is only 400.00 more. With a grand , you get suite perks not available with a a junior. I'm thinking of going for it. It is probably a once in a lifetime cruise for the three of us. I've seen royals list of suite perks but read comments from suite guests and they seem to get even more. The tours and captains cocktail party... All suite guests get invites? Could someone who has stayed in grand and above explain and Detail all the perks?

Thanks!

We ( my two sisters and I )are sailing next week on explorer. My sixth cruise, their first. We Had booked an inside stateroom but I secretly upgraded to a junior suite as a surprise and I paid the extra 1400.00 from the inside to junior. I have never been in anything larger than a balcony. The junior was only a couple hundred more than balcony so I went for it. Now the suite prices have dropped and travel agent said I could upgrade to a grand for 646.00 more but it also comes with 250.00 onboard credit so in reality it is only 400.00 more. With a grand , you get suite perks not available with a a junior. I'm thinking of going for it. It is probably a once in a lifetime cruise for the three of us. I've seen royals list of suite perks but read comments from suite guests and they seem to get even more. The tours and captains cocktail party... All suite guests get invites? Could someone who has stayed in grand and above explain and Detail all the perks?

Thanks!

Although my wife and I have not stayed in a Grand suite we have stayed in a Junior on the Explorer. If I had the chance to upgrade for only $100 per passenger I would do it just for the extra storage, double sinks, much larger stateroom and veranda. As for the other perks they will be just added icing on the cake for you.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great cruise and bring home a myriad of wonderful memories.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

With 3 people you will LOVE having the extra space that a Grand Suite will give you!! I have sailed with my 2 sister's in a GS twice...they are totally spoiled now & grumble when we book a regular balcony...so be prepared...but do go for it...it's a wonderful surprise!

Our personal favorite feature of a GS is being able to dine in our stateroom.

Not the normal room service menu, but the menu from the main dining room AND all of the specialty restaurants.

It's very nice to have dinner in your cabin. Very.

(Oh, and while GS's normally seat 2 to eat, it's not too hard to configure it so that you can dine all 4 of you- we had Thanksgiving with us and my in-laws on one trip. With all the curtains open, we had a great view of Aruba)

Thanks!

Yes go for it. We had a Grand Suite and really enjoyed the extras. They are listed on the RCCL web site and will admit that we made some really great friends that we are still in contact with several years after our Cruise. It was fun to experience.

I've done the same thing for a cruise this week on Brilliance of the Seas. Started out booked in an E2 balcony, but then wanted to do something special for my daughter, so I did an upgrade to a GS. Then prices dropped again after final payment, and I moved into an OS for no additional charge, and also received $300 obc.

It will be our first time sailing in a suite, so I can't comment yet on whether or not it was worth it, but I'm very excited for this cruise. :)

If you're comfortable with that amount, treat yourself and go for it!

Sailing in a suite is the only way to go for us. If your budget allows, do go for it. The additional amenities often are what help to set the trip apart for us. We are first trying Royal but have sailed suites on all our other cruises because we just prefer the experience.

Best-

Steve

Thanks!

the GS comes with access to the Concierge Lounge> that alone is why we book them exclusively. as for extras.. I have only been on ONE ship( GR) that offered any special events for suites only.

I;d do it. but then again I enjoy the cocktail hour greatly plus the 24/7 access to the coffee machine

Thanks!

We booked the Owner's Suite on Explorer this past September. The Owner's Suite was roughly twice as large as the Junior Suite. The price had dropped enough to make it worth the extra. It was a first 'full' suite and it was fantastic. There were no 'extra' free tours as far as I know. But the cocktail hour was great. It was held in the bar just off the Viking Crown Lounge. They would make anything you wanted and if they could not make it there, the sent out for it for you.... They also had a special dinner for us one evening where there were two officers sitting at each table. Great guys and we learned a lot. Another nice perk was that all the suites gathered together to disembark and they had special elevators run by crew members to run us directly down to Deck 4 to get off right after the people doing self-disembark..

Other nice perks with the Gold Card is that you get a special sitting area by the pool and a separate dining area just off the WindJammer. You get to 'smile' at the people wandering around the WindJammer looking for a table as you stroll into your 'private' room.

Edited by edjny

I am not sure how to reply to specific messages. You all are so great to quickly reply to my question. Think I am going for it. I don't understand though why I have to still pay extra when prices dropped 200 pp think I would just get the upgrade. Anyway to cruzsnooze - I will now have 950.00 OBC to use up and all my excursions, tips and such are paid for already. We don't drink that much so I just hope I can use it all up. Probably do a spa treatment for sure now. I will ask concierge about tours. That would be cool. I am so excited. My husband and boys area little jealous. We will have to go for suite next time we all go now. Thanks you all so much!!

GS on Explorer you should get invited to a cocktail party with the officers - was held up in Dizzys previously

All guests staying in the suite have access to concierge lounge

reserved seating at pool and shows

no tours - but concierge may be able to arrange unless you are D+ then you should get an invite based on C & A status and then only the D+ person gets the tour

Breakfast in Portofino's however by the time you go Portofino will be gone so not sure what the new arrangements might be

If you are going to Labadee - or CoCo Cay - first choice on Cabana which is definitely worth it - arrange ahead of time with your concierge

We MUCH prefer the Grand Suite. Every time we are offered free upgrades (we have over 400 nights on RCL) to either Owner's or Family Suites, we turn them down. Only problem with RCL suites is they are under the pool or solarium deck. There can be noise late night/early morning of crew dragging chairs across the deck to clean.

I have stayed in a Grand and Owners Suite. When you get to your suite on day one you should have a few letters on your dining table. They will be from your concierge; the hotel director, and Captain. The letters will thank you for being there and if you need anything to let them know. The concierge will be of great assistance for suite guests; they make dinner reservations, print boarding passes, help with shore excursions. You should receive invitations during your cruise to the various cocktail parties. If you want private tours check with the concierge; he can check this out for you. Enjoy.

Thanks!

You absolutely will get all the suite perks and invitations. Go for it. Free drinks every night for the three of you, plus you will feel "special". If you have the money do it.

I did the exact same thing a couple years ago when I was taking my 2 daughters and it was well worth it! Lots more room........the bathroom is very large! The icing on the cake will be going to the Concierge Lounge for complimentary drinks/cocktails/wine before dinner, and stopping in for complimentary breakfast items in the mornings. You will love it, and unfortunately will be spoiled after staying in a GS!

I've done the same thing for a cruise this week on Brilliance of the Seas. Started out booked in an E2 balcony, but then wanted to do something special for my daughter, so I did an upgrade to a GS. Then prices dropped again after final payment, and I moved into an OS for no additional charge, and also received $300 obc.

It will be our first time sailing in a suite, so I can't comment yet on whether or not it was worth it, but I'm very excited for this cruise. :)

If you're comfortable with that amount, treat yourself and go for it!

The only way to travel.