Not so Happy Bithday celebration in Chops

sjh422

A family celebration in Chops was disappointing when a young child in the room screamed and cried during our entire dinner. The child's family made no effort

Whatsoever to appease or quiet the child. Looking back now, we should have asked to be rescheduled for another dining time as the noise resonated throughout the entire restaurant. Hate that there are people who do not respect the rights of others.

Best thing I've ever seen was a Florida "Choose Life" license plate with the letters "1SLAP"

FlaChooseLifeTag.PNG

Couldn't agree more, one free smack if they are being jerks!

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Garavar

A family celebration in Chops was disappointing when a young child in the room screamed and cried during our entire dinner. The child's family made no effort

Whatsoever to appease or quiet the child. Looking back now, we should have asked to be rescheduled for another dining time as the noise resonated throughout the entire restaurant. Hate that there are people who do not respect the rights of others.

Wow - sorry that happened to you. I wish all parents/grandparents would be thoughtful of others whether it be on a cruise ship or a land restaurant. When my daughter was young if we were out at a restaurant we would immediately take her outside on the rare occasions that she got fussy.

I think the management of Chops is to blame here .. they should have addressed the issue and asked the party to remove the screaming, squalling child.

It is not acceptable to expect everyone to just put up with something like that ... whether its in an extra fee place, the MDR or even the WJ.

Yes, this table of stupid parents not doing anything to quiet their child down would have been unhappy .. but is it better to have the entire restaurant have a miserable night because of this one table?

No way. I'd have been furious.

I'd have asked for the manager. They should be aware of the atmosphere in the restaurant

Looking back, I wish we would have talked to the manager of the restaurant and asked for his help. Perhaps they could have approached the family and diplomatically asked if there were something they coul do to make the child happy. I did speak with another dining room manager who said that they could not do anything in that situation as this is a family ship and the do not want to offend anyone. A lesson learned here.

Looking back, I wish we would have talked to the manager of the restaurant and asked for his help. Perhaps they could have approached the family and diplomatically asked if there were something they coul do to make the child happy. I did speak with another dining room manager who said that they could not do anything in that situation as this is a family ship and the do not want to offend anyone. A lesson learned here.

What a STUPID thing to say! I think I'd have rather firmly replied that by NOT doing anything they were offending everyone else in the restaurant, and if they were willing to do that then I would be making a formal complaint to both guest services and the Hotel Director!

I think the management of Chops is to blame here .. they should have addressed the issue and asked the party to remove the screaming, squalling child.

It is not acceptable to expect everyone to just put up with something like that ... whether its in an extra fee place, the MDR or even the WJ.

Yes, this table of stupid parents not doing anything to quiet their child down would have been unhappy .. but is it better to have the entire restaurant have a miserable night because of this one table?

No way. I'd have been furious.

Totally agree. Can't believe how inconsiderate some people can be.

What a STUPID thing to say! I think I'd have rather firmly replied that by NOT doing anything they were offending everyone else in the restaurant, and if they were willing to do that then I would be making a formal complaint to both guest services and the Hotel Director!

Unfortunately that's their policy. They no longer confront guests as they don't want to offend them. That's why NOTHING is enforced.

Agreed - but sadly that is their policy. No way I would have paid for that meal AND I'm afraid the parents would have heard my displeasure loud and clear.

Was having brunch with some friends once in a pancake restaurant - family friendly but not like McDonalds. A large family group was seated nearby. One kid kept screeching "mommy" at the top of his lungs while she did her best to ignore him and carry on with her adult conversation. I finally had all I could take and turned around and said excuse me, MOMMY! That got her attention. I then asked why was it that every single person in the restaurant could hear her child except her. I got a round of applause from the other diners and she tended to her kid.

It comes down to most children have no table manners, and the parents have given them gameboys to shut them up. It doesn't work for long. I have seen it 1st hand with my eldest Brother parenting skills. None of their 3 kids were taught table manners. Now my middle brother always removed Patrick and got him under control or they went home hungry. Patrick learned quickly.

It's a baby and we should all just put up with it! Screw that; I am not putting up with that; when I am paying for my dinner. I highly suggest to get a manager and tell them to take care of it or I am not paying for dinner! I want OBC to come back when a child is not screaming through my dinner!

The manager should have comped your meal, or invited you back another time, or done something of that nature to make up for the subpar experience. Asking them to kick a family out...isn't likely to happen. But they should have found a way to provide you the experience you paid for.

As for those that would approach the family/parent...not too tactful or classy in my opinion. Just speak to management and let them handle it for you. There's no need to be confrontational. I'm sure no one is thinking "How can we deliberately sabotage everyone elses dinner experience".

I have no problem with kids/families in specialty restaurants. I do have a problem (ANYWHERE) with oblivious parents. Sometimes a kid can't help being cranky, but a parent not addressing the situation isn't helping matters either.

We complained to our waiter once about the loud, raucous table of 8 adults who evidently thought they were in a sports bar instead of Chops. He told the manager who came over to apologize and said he was sorry, but there was nothing he could do about it as one of them was his boss and two of them were Pinnacles.:D We did get a bottle of wine the next day with a note of apology from his boss, but it was not the nice, quiet romantic dinner we had planned.

Sherri:)

Was having brunch with some friends once in a pancake restaurant - family friendly but not like McDonalds. A large family group was seated nearby. One kid kept screeching "mommy" at the top of his lungs while she did her best to ignore him and carry on with her adult conversation. I finally had all I could take and turned around and said excuse me, MOMMY! That got her attention. I then asked why was it that every single person in the restaurant could hear her child except her. I got a round of applause from the other diners and she tended to her kid.

I love this, wish I was clever enough and brave enough to do this in a similar situation. ;)

Sorry you had to go through that. I would have said something to the staff or left myself and asked for a refund. Maybe if they realize they are impacting other passengers something will be done about it?

My kids are older now but we always took them out of any restaurant if they started to fuss, amazing how many parents now a days don't seem to care, see if far too often.

This is the exact reason why they dont tell people who wear shorts to the dining room to go change into long pants.!!

We were dining in Portofino's on the Indy T/A in Nov 2012. A table of 3 near us got into a heated argument, which degenerated into them throwing drinks at each other.

One of the women, then called the guy she had thrown a drink at the "C" word. I HATE that word & pulled her up on her language, she then went stamping out of the restaurant leaving the guy dripping wet.

The poor wait staff were beside themselves, not knowing how to deal with the situation, luckily as she left almost everyone burst out laughing. We & the other couple we were dining with, still joke about it now.

A screaming kid though......that's another matter.

Edited by Brit-Cruiser

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would have been extremely unhappy and I would have made sure my feelings were known.

Just my 2 cents...RCI and all the cruise lines compound problems by overlooking/ignoring blatant policy violations and not seeing to everyone's comfort and enjoyment. They've created a system where employees are terrified of the repercussions of a passenger complaint, even if the complaint is completely unjustified.

It's a sad state of affairs when management is afraid to offend a parent whose child is disrupting the dinner of every other customer. The same could be said for any person of any age whose actions or behavior ruin an evening or a trip for others. A little courtesy and common sense can go a long way! Somehow that's been forgotten, and all anyone seems to care about any more are their rights!:rolleyes:

Edited by Cindy

We complained to our waiter once about the loud, raucous table of 8 adults who evidently thought they were in a sports bar instead of Chops. He told the manager who came over to apologize and said he was sorry, but there was nothing he could do about it as one of them was his boss and two of them were Pinnacles.:D We did get a bottle of wine the next day with a note of apology from his boss, but it was not the nice, quiet romantic dinner we had planned.

Sherri:)

To be honest, I've never thought of Chops as a place to have a quiet, romantic dinner. We've almost always seen large tables occupied, and the more people you get in a group, the more noise they are going to make. However, if they were really making that much noise (and had I been in your shoes), I think that my response would be to ask if the manager would intervene. And the boss (I assume it was the Hotel Director) should have known to hold it down a bit without having been asked.

If they do not want to often anyone, why were they offending YOU? It's a 2-way street!

Thank you! And here's a question for the OP: what time were you dining? The dear little ones are supposed to dine early and then go to bed. If it was after the magic hour (I want to say 7:00), then I might have escalated to the manager. Quietly, of course.

And for any staff who tells me that RCI is family oriented and doesn't want to offend, my response would be that DCL is just as family oriented, which means that they take care of the adults, too.

Thank you! And here's a question for the OP: what time were you dining? The dear little ones are supposed to dine early and then go to bed. If it was after the magic hour (I want to say 7:00), then I might have escalated to the manager. Quietly, of course.

The policy has changed. There is no longer an early suggested dining time for the kiddies. They are welcomed at any time.