Comparing Frequent Pax Benefits across lines

TiogaCruiser

My neighbor is looking at planning several cruises in the next several years and was asking about the frequent pax (loyalty) benefits available across several lines. They are looking at onboard perks but also possible fare discounts for past history with a line.

I am only familiar with HAL (mariner program, CCL stock, private sales for lower starred mariners that meet certain demographics :) ).

Could some of you all who have sailed with other lines fill in the gaps for other lines please? I know this frequently comes up as a side in some threads. How does HAL stack up with other lines? Or is it pretty much the same and you just go with current pricing?

Thanks-

TC

I know that some posters love to hate hal for their bennies but they are ok. I cruise princess quite often and they have similar things such as priority embark and tendering. They also have mini bar set up and free internet. They do not have specialty restaurant discounts. They have 10 percent discounts on all items in their stores. Many of these things are on the higher levels. I get good pricing thru princess generally.

I personally think this is hard to compare as they are so different across the lines. I myself do not cruise a particular line because of loyalty benefits. The itinerary and with whom we are cruising usually determines the line although we tend to cruise on HAL and Princess the most.

I think that in order to do this you need to do two things.

The first is to strip away the meaningless or valueless items. All the programs seem to have some of them as 'filler ' that serve only to lengthen the list of benefits.

Next, I think that you have to determine was is important or what has value to you. there will be differences between perceived benefits.

HAL does has one unique feature though. From time to time they actually charge repeat customers more for a cruise than they do new customers.

I like getting free internet time on Princess at Platinum level which I think was 70 days.

On HAL we have 150 days (including a credits for money spent on board) so still 3 star Mariners until we get to 200 days, and we don't feel like we get much from HAL that we would use.... We can get specialty dining, specialty coffee and I think wine package discounts of 25%.... never used any of them. We feel like the rest of the benefits are fluff. Obviously we are not cruising HAL for their benefits but rather for many other good reasons :) m--

HAL does has one unique feature though. From time to time they actually charge repeat customers more for a cruise than they do new customers.

THIS IS SO TRUE LOL I am laughing because you posted it..........I was thinking it. :D

The OP asks an interesting question. For those of us who enjoy adult beverages, we think that Celebrity has the best frequent cruiser amenities (by far) for those who are "Elite" or above. Celebrity has a daily Elite breakfast which is a nice continental breakfast in a private room where they offer free coffee drinks (like cappuccino), fresh fruit smoothies, Bloody Marys, Mimosas, Bellinis, etc. They also have a daily cocktail party (sometimes replaced with vouchers for 3 free drinks a day per passenger) from 5-7. Celebrity also gives free internet minutes (DW and get 200 min each), some free laundry, etc.

Princess also has a pretty decent program where they give you a free stocked mini-bar and unlimited laundry/dry cleaning. Princess also gives a lot of free internet to their frequent cruises (DW and I got 1,000 free minutes on our last cruise) which varies depending on the length of the cruise and your frequent cruiser level.

On HAL, where we are 4 Star Mariners, we have received zero free internet, often a single short party (even on cruises over a month long), a nice discount on a couple of overpriced wine packages, free laundry (a great benefit on long cruises) and a few other minor amenities. Oh. and HAL loves to give out things like Medallions which seem to make some cruisers very happy. DW has a corner of some drawer that is full of cruise line medallions and pins where they will sit until our heirs toss them in the trash. Some folks really consider these kind of worthless items important, but we would gladly trade them for some free internet, a free drink, etc.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I really don't understand the whole 'frequent cruiser' deal as I don't see any real benefits unless you're cruising just for the sake of cruising. My parents ONLY cruise Princess and won't consider another line for the sake of 'benefits' such as priority boarding, blah,blah,blah. The ship won't leave without them!

IMHO the combo of destination, itinerary and price are the deciding factors on who I choose to cruise with. And, like selecting a hotel, there are certain minimum requirements for my accommodation. Beyond that, choose what suits YOU and your needs/preferences and don't be tied to a particular 'brand' based on quite minimal acknowledgements of 'loyalty'.

Thank you all for your replies.

What about discounts on bookings based on volume of past cruises with a line?

I've seen posted percentage discounts for repeat customers who have x number of days on some of the expedition companies. I think we've pretty well established that HAL tends to not send "private sales" to those who have something booked. ( and how good those "sales" tend to be inversely related to stars). We have a relative in Fl who cruises a lot and legend has it they get a good deal. ( Of course, if one can book at the last minute- that's a different story)

Do other major lines offer repeater discounts?

Thank you all for your replies.

What about discounts on bookings based on volume of past cruises with a line?

I've seen posted percentage discounts for repeat customers who have x number of days on some of the expedition companies. I think we've pretty well established that HAL tends to not send "private sales" to those who have something booked. ( and how good those "sales" tend to be inversely related to stars). We have a relative in Fl who cruises a lot and legend has it they get a good deal. ( Of course, if one can book at the last minute- that's a different story)

Do other major lines offer repeater discounts?

Yes, I'm elite with princess now and they do give me deals. Rarely see that with hal.

I would be bored to death if I only sailed one cruise line. Not to mention what appealed to me years ago may not be what I want now.

For comparison sake HAL's program is weak until you reach the 200 day four star mariner level.

For any line I have no interest in gift shop discounts for stuff I'm not buying anyway, coupon books, spa discounts for overpriced services, discounts on specialty restaurants, etc. These so called benefits are of minimal value.

The OP asks an interesting question. For those of us who enjoy adult beverages, we think that Celebrity has the best frequent cruiser amenities (by far) for those who are "Elite" or above. Celebrity has a daily Elite breakfast which is a nice continental breakfast in a private room where they offer free coffee drinks (like cappuccino), fresh fruit smoothies, Bloody Marys, Mimosas, Bellinis, etc. They also have a daily cocktail party (sometimes replaced with vouchers for 3 free drinks a day per passenger) from 5-7. Celebrity also gives free internet minutes (DW and get 200 min each), some free laundry, etc.

Princess also has a pretty decent program where they give you a free stocked mini-bar and unlimited laundry/dry cleaning. Princess also gives a lot of free internet to their frequent cruises (DW and I got 1,000 free minutes on our last cruise) which varies depending on the length of the cruise and your frequent cruiser level.

On HAL, where we are 4 Star Mariners, we have received zero free internet, often a single short party (even on cruises over a month long), a nice discount on a couple of overpriced wine packages, free laundry (a great benefit on long cruises) and a few other minor amenities. Oh. and HAL loves to give out things like Medallions which seem to make some cruisers very happy. DW has a corner of some drawer that is full of cruise line medallions and pins where they will sit until our heirs toss them in the trash. Some folks really consider these kind of worthless items important, but we would gladly trade them for some free internet, a free drink, etc.

Hank

I agree with you 100% PLEASE Holland change the benefits a little ..

I sailed my first Celebrity Cruise last fall. I have had RCCL stock for years. I was not able to get the Shareholder OBC credit because the cruise booking came with a free drinks package. To get the OBC credit, I would have had to cancel the drinks package. From what I could gather in communication with Customer Relations, Celebrity does not allow perks to be stacked. The cruiser has to decide what "perk" is most valuable to them and give up the rest.

(I recently got an email from Celebrity. They are reconfiguring their perks program this year. Since I have only one cruise with them, I didn't pay much attention to the details.)

I sailed a HAL Alaska cruise in June of last year. I have had CCL stock for years. I was able to get the OBC credit even though the cruise was part of the Explore 4 program.

I sailed my first Celebrity Cruise last fall. I have had RCCL stock for years. I was not able to get the Shareholder OBC credit because the cruise booking came with a free drinks package. To get the OBC credit, I would have had to cancel the drinks package. From what I could gather in communication with Customer Relations, Celebrity does not allow perks to be stacked. The cruiser has to decide what "perk" is most valuable to them and give up the rest.

(I recently got an email from Celebrity. They are reconfiguring their perks program this year. Since I have only one cruise with them, I didn't pay much attention to the details.)

I sailed a HAL Alaska cruise in June of last year. I have had CCL stock for years. I was able to get the OBC credit even though the cruise was part of the Explore 4 program.

Isn't that silly that you can't combine perks? I really don't see why people like celebrity so much. I guess some folks are impressed by a couple free drinks. I find very little appeal with celebrity after sailing with them twice.

I like getting free internet time on Princess at Platinum level which I think was 70 days.

Platinum status on Princess begins on one's 6th cruise or after 50 sailing days. Internet minutes increase at the Elite level and also increase depending on the length of the cruise.

It's a great benefit--I find it's just enough time to send a quick e-mail or two every other day and to scan the inbox for important messages.

Platinum status on Princess begins on one's 6th cruise or after 50 sailing days. Internet minutes increase at the Elite level and also increase depending on the length of the cruise.

It's a great benefit--I find it's just enough time to send a quick e-mail or two every other day and to scan the inbox for important messages.

Internet increases at elite level? Is this an unpublished perk because there is nothing on their website about it? I'm quite interested as I'm about to take my first cruise as an elite.

Internet increases at elite level? Is this an unpublished perk because there is nothing on their website about it? I'm quite interested as I'm about to take my first cruise as an elite.

Whoops--sorry. I misspoke (miswrote?). The increase is in minutes for the cruise length, not for status. Once you've earned Platinum, you get the minutes and they don't increase for Elite.

I must have been thinking of Azamara, where the minutes increase with status. Not sure if that applies to Royal and Celebrity's programs; there is some reciprocity among those three lines, but not with all aspects.

Hank

Sell your medallions on Ebay and use the money for drinks, etc!

Sell your medallions on Ebay and use the money for drinks, etc!

They had a White Elephant Auction on the cruise where DW and I received Silver Medallions. We actually suggested, at the auction desk, that we would be happy to auction-off those medallions and our tiles but HAL has a rule that prohibits auctioning those items :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

They had a White Elephant Auction on the cruise where DW and I received Silver Medallions. We actually suggested, at the auction desk, that we would be happy to auction-off those medallions and our tiles but HAL has a rule that prohibits auctioning those items :)

Hank

For a very good reason!

Our last cruise was only our second on RCI. We booked our usual balcony gty.

What surprised us was RCI recognized our Celebrity status and made us Diamond Club. There was the usual fluff but what we liked...

-a $200 discount on our cabin

-we were each given 60 minutes of Internet time

-access to Diamond lounge. This had breakfast in the AM, concierge service, and pre dinner drinks, appetizers in the lounge at night. Good choice on house reds. The Concierge was excellent.

-we each had three complementary drinks per day loaded onto or cards. They could be used at any bar on the ship between 5 and 8PM.

Edited by iancal