Experienced Aqua Cruisers

vmarq

I just had my first Aqua Class experience, on the Solstice on a cruise to the pacific islands. I LOVED Blu - it saved the cruise for me. The middle dining room is huge and felt really claustrophobic to me. I had originally planned to eat in the MDR because I like to sit on group tables and meet new people, but funnily enough, Blu is actually really social - the tables are so close together that nine times out of ten, you end up talking with everyone around you. The service was excellent - I had the same servers pretty much every meal, and they quickly identified what I would like and wouldn't, and made excellent recommendations for me. I loved breakfast - the whole muesli with berries thing was delicious, and the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. I also really loved that you could rock up any time instead of having to be there at a specific time. It was never more than about 2/3 full during my cruise - there was no need to wait. I also appreciated the more relaxed attitude to dress - the whole formal thing isn't really my scene on a cruise. I had booked another cruise on embarkation day, in Concierge, but by the last day I had decided that if I couldn't dine in Blu I would not be nearly as happy so I upgraded; it cost an extra $500 and it is worth that much to me.

It's not just Blu I loved: I loved the water (3-4 bottles a day), I loved the back entrance to the spa (up the end of the deck 11) so you could just wander up in your robe instead of having to go up to deck 12 via the public entrance. I loved that little lounge right up the front of deck 11 - there was never anyone in it, so very peaceful place for a nap or reading. Also the shower - once I learned how it worked - was great, and the lip salve is fabulous!

We are traveling with 2 other couples we all booked Aqua on Summit. Any issue with us getting a table for 6 in Blu? It's the first time in Aqua for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe there are two tables that will seat 6. We had 6 on the infinity and they wouldn't hold a table for us....it was first come first served. Most nights it wasn't a problem (they do at least hold the tables for larger groups), but one night we had to split up or face a longer wait. Of course different maitre d's may hold tables for you, etc.

The best bet is to go to Blu when you board and tell them that you are a party of 6...and ask what the best way is for you all to dine together each night. Your maitre d' may try to work with you...ours didn't.

Thanks for the awesome pictures and the menu links. We will be in Aqua for the first time on 2/28 and we are so excited! :D

And u can usually order appys that are not on the BLU menu--such as Caesar salad..shrimp cocktail,..french onion soup...at least I was able to on our may 2013 sailing

And u can usually order appys that are not on the BLU menu--such as Caesar salad..shrimp cocktail,..french onion soup...at least I was able to on our may 2013 sailing

You forgot the escargot :D:D

Edited by Banjo

We loved Blu breakfast and dinner! The best cruise food we have ever had. Portions were great too, plus you can ask for multiple meals if you are that hungry! The next cruise includes the kids, so no Blu for us, we're going to miss it and be jealous...

Edited by casique39

Thank you so much for all the info. Sailing on Feb 21st and now very excited. Your menu on the solstice looked great but had a few more items than A previous menu I noticed from Blu on Summit.. Has the summit also expanded their menu. Yours I loved!!! Thanks again for pictures etc.

Thanks for mentioning that, that is good to know!! :)

Waffles. :D.

Best part of breakfast in Blu is no waffles.

happy crusing 🌞🚢🇺🇸🌞

I think you are confused my friend!! ;)

Sorry

Just tried Aqua for the 1st time after many cruises

I'm one of those people that was not happy with the Blu dinner menus and the beef was very tough even the filet

Breakfast was wonderful

The atmosphere was nice as was the service but not enough difference to pay for Aqua. I thought I would love it and tried & tried to convince DH

We can do select dining in MDR

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry

I'm one of those people that was not happy with the Blu dinner menus and the beef was very tough even the filet

Breakfast was wonderful

The atmosphere was nice as was the service but not enough difference to pay for Aqua. I thought I would love it and tried & tried to convince DH

Was this a recent cruise? We found the same n Blu August 2014. DH's filet was excellent...mine was not good at all. That was a first for us with the filet in Blu. It has always been tender and delicious on past cruises.

My first experience with Celebrity was an Aqua spa cabin. I cannot say what the MDR is like on Celebrity but I fell in love with Blu. So much so that for the upcoming cruise, I upgraded from concierge to Aqua Spa just for Blu.

I love the somalier who was awesome on the Connie. His choices were excelling parings with the dinner and was right there to pour another glass if I wanted one. So the service all around was excellent.

My sister and I always have this agonizing decision to make: a stern concierge or a forward Aqua. This time, Aqua won; don't know what next time will bring!

We love eating in Blu, but also love those aft staterooms overlooking the wake.......

Sorry

Breakfast was wonderful

I hope we don't have the same experience as you did. :eek: After our experience in the MDR on the Silhouette, I was so happy to be able to upgrade to AQ....thanks to the 1,2,3 promo. I'm really looking forward to it and am looking forward to a nice hot breakfast....an experience we did not have in the buffet and only had breakfast once in the MDR due to our port intensive cruise.

Was this a recent cruise? We found the same n Blu August 2014. DH's filet was excellent...mine was not good at all. That was a first for us with the filet in Blu. It has always been tender and delicious on past cruises.

Yes, this was Silhouette this month

So many entrees were not appealing that I also had the steak one night

Waiter said not to order medium-well so I ordered medium

Could not cut it or eat it

He did not check back with us just took the plates

There was also 3 stuffed shells with tiny angus meatballs in them size of ping pong balls -- terrible

Believe me, I've never had stuffed shells uneaten LOL

In the other hand chicken dishes and vegetarian dishes very good

Husband had mostly fish ok one night, overcooked another night

He liked the lamb chops very much

All in all not better than main dining for me at all. Just my opinion though.

I think celebrity knows the beef is often tough and doesn't fix the problem. The menu is limited

We loved the breakfast

Edited by true45

I hope we don't have the same experience as you did. :eek: After our experience in the MDR on the Silhouette, I was so happy to be able to upgrade to AQ....thanks to the 1,2,3 promo. I'm really looking forward to it and am looking forward to a nice hot breakfast....an experience we did not have in the buffet and only had breakfast once in the MDR due to our port intensive cruise.

Did you try the breakfast items cooked to order in the buffet?? I've had excellent egs and omelettes there, better than the MDR for sure.

Did you try the breakfast items cooked to order in the buffet?? I've had excellent egs and omelettes there, better than the MDR for sure.

As much as I love blu for breakfast (and I think that's one of the real hidden benefits of aqua), I have never managed to get a warm poached egg that's not hard boiled when it gets to me. It's become a game on every cruise. (hey, some of them have been transatlantics and my small mind need something to liven up each day :) )

I always go to the buffet at least once for corned beef hash with poached eggs on it...and they are hot and perfectly cooked. Additionally, if you want eggs benedict or the other poached egg dishes, one of the few things they don't make in blu is hollandaise sauce....so it's Buffet time again.

We've been in aqua class for our last six or seven cruises on S and M class ships. We generally eat in the MDR once each cruise for various reasons.

I don't think there is any difference in the quality of the food. The difference is as someone put it above, it's eating in a restaurant with better service; it is much quieter...you can actually talk in a normal voice; and although you hear little about it, one of the best features is the full served breakfast. For us, it's an easy decision and we book aqua.

Having said that...celebrity has 14 nights of menus for blu (and for the MDR)...and maybe they change one entree on one of the menus every 6 months. We are a bit aqua'd out (read that as bored with the menu) so we actually booked our next celebrity cruise in CC just for a change. It is possible to have too much of a good thing :)

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Food in Blu is not significantly better than the MDR, if at all. Some claim it's healthier but you can't prove it by me. In any case eating a rich diet for a week or two should not put most people's health in jeopardy and we are on vacation after all. The ambiance in Blu is what sets it apart, and the hectic pace of the poor staff in the MDR is a downer for us. Too many near collisions.

Edited by BosoxI

We've cruised in an Aqua cabin on 4 separate cruises and ships and enjoyed eating in Blu each time. The biggest reason for us is the flexibility that Blu provides. In Blu we could easily choose when we wanted to eat based on what we planned to do each evening. We've never had more than a 15 min wait for a table and most times were able to sit right away. When we had a large group (up to 8) we arrived at the check in desk early to let them know who was coming. They let us know how long the wait would be for a large table and we adjusted accordingly. In Blu we also gained the benefit of pacing our meals. We were able to take our time with the meal to socialize or speed things up to make it to a show on time.

Sorry if I missed this, but is there the option to sit at a large (6-8) table in Blu, with others who are not part of a group? That's the part I expect I'll miss when we are Aqua for the first time on our upcoming cruise...I love meeting new people and getting to know them better as the week goes on.

Sorry if I missed this, but is there the option to sit at a large (6-8) table in Blu, with others who are not part of a group? That's the part I expect I'll miss when we are Aqua for the first time on our upcoming cruise...I love meeting new people and getting to know them better as the week goes on.

That's exactly what we missed, and if there was an option for it, it was never offered to us.

I haven't been in AQ on all the ships I've sailed on but on some there is a banquette at the end of the room where the tables for two are very close together. We sat there usually on Eclipse and we often chatted with those at the tables either side of us. One couple was there every night as we were, so it was a little like traditional dining. There were bigger tables for 6 there, so I suppose you could request to be seated at one of those.

Would anyone care to comment on wait times for Aqua class passengers on the Reflection?

On a B2B on the Silhouette 2 years ago over Christmas and New Years we never had to wait at breakfast or dinner. We usually eat around 7:30 or after the early show.

We love Blu and it is our biggest reason for continuing to cruise Celebrity but I have read some horror stories here about Aqua passengers being crowded out of Blu (especially on Reflection). :(

I will expect the worst and hope for the best but does anyone have any recent experience on Reflection? Thank you. :)

I'm on my first "X" cruise in about a month and in Aqua class. My previous experience has been on only two cruise lines, Regent and HAL. The HAL MDR was exactly like what the MDR sounds like on the Celebrity ships...staffs reduced in size and hassled, food not arriving hot because of the long distances and delays in the kitchen, noise, etc. Regent's MDR, Compass Rose, was more like what I think is a cross between the Celebrity MDR and Blu. I would suspect that those complaining about unsatisfactory entrees in Blu could have ordered another one correctly made or changed their order. I couldn't see doing this in an MDR...it's difficult enough getting your food to start with...but the smaller, better staffed BLU should make that possible.