Canadian cruisers!!

You would rarely be required to have a passport on an excursion. However, check your excursion info because I know that there is a ship excursion to British Tortola that requires a passport.

That requirement is probably because the excursion originates outside the BVI, likely St. Thomas, USVI. We've never had to produce our passports for a ship's excursion when our ship has docked in Tortola.

In the few times we've cruised, we leave our passports in the stateroom safe, and DW & I both carry a color photocopy of our and our kids passports. I just put the front pages of our 4 passports on the same page. We've only been on 3 or 4 off ship excursions but have yet to even need the copy... yet;)

Also, our travel Agent has a copy of our passports' front page.

dp

I've read that when we get on and off ship in ports we need to take sea pass and photo ID. Do we need to take passports off ship with us when taking excursions? I really didn't want to take them off the ship. What other types of photo ID have people used? Thx

We usually leave our passports on the ship, however last year in Nassau the crew was telling everyone to bring their passports with them as we were leaving the ship. We went back to the cabin to get them, and good thing we did, because we definitely needed them to get back on the ship. Some people didn't have them and they were sent to talk to a customs officer. I believe the passengers did get on but it wasn't without a hassle.

We usually leave our passports on the ship, however last year in Nassau the crew was telling everyone to bring their passports with them as we were leaving the ship. We went back to the cabin to get them, and good thing we did, because we definitely needed them to get back on the ship. Some people didn't have them and they were sent to talk to a customs officer. I believe the passengers did get on but it wasn't without a hassle.

Are you positive it was a passport that was required, or was it some form of government picture ID like a driver's licence?

We've been to the Bahamas many times on cruise port stops and never had to have our PP with us when onshore. Likely the staff mentioned you must have some form of government issued ID like a PP. Also Americans can do a close loop cruise to there from an American port without a passport. Those sent back, likely to talk to port security not a custom agent as the latter are involved when entering that country not leaving it, likely only had their ship's card.

There are some countries that require a visitor to carry their PP at all times. Costa Rica is one, also Egypt I believe, but these are very few especially in NA and the Caribbean.

Cuba is the only one who may have this requirement but it's been over 20 years since we have visited there.

PS, Cuba currently requires a visitor to carry their tourist card which is a visa, Passport is only needed to enter and leave that country. We didn't have to get a tourist card when we visited there in the early 90s.

Edited by robtulipe

We are leaving on the Oasis on Feb 27th and are struggling to locate a flight under $500 per person. I'm beginning to wonder if we've left it too late!

Where are you flying from?

Just over a month out is really late to book flights. We typically start looking at around 100 days prior to get the best price and selection.

Try checking alternative close by or even not so close airports like Buffalo or Detroit for Toronto or Burlington, Vermont, or Albany, NY for Montreal. At the other end look at MIA or West Palm Beach instead of FLL. Also check out RCI Air2Seas flight booking service but we've found that not very good for NA flights. Make sure you check out Southwest.com as you must book directly with them. Try also flights the day before embarkation or after disembarking. The saving could more than cover the cost of a hotel room and a rental car. We did that after our B2B Freedom cruise out of Cape Canaveral. Hotel and rental car cost us around $100 and we saved over $250 on flights. ;)

We've done some very late cruise bookings and getting the air is usually a challenge.

Edited by robtulipe

yeah unfortunately we really did leave it pretty late. We would typically fly out of Toronto. I've tried looking at Buffalo flights, flights to MIA, Orlando, Fort Myers (my mom lives there and could drive us). Nothing is really coming in as what I would consider affordable. I would even be happy with $400 or $450 CAD per person at this point. The main issue is the exchange with USA flights. Sure we can get a good flight for $800 USD but factor that into Canadian and whamo! Guess at this point we will have to look at extra days off work and hotel costs and other factors we werent really hoping to have.

Are you positive it was a passport that was required, or was it some form of government picture ID like a driver's licence?

We've been to the Bahamas many times on cruise port stops and never had to have our PP with us when onshore. Likely the staff mentioned you must have some form of government issued ID like a PP

It's possible they were just needing any type of government ID, however our kids 12 and 14 only have a passport as a form of ID.

yeah unfortunately we really did leave it pretty late. We would typically fly out of Toronto. I've tried looking at Buffalo flights, flights to MIA, Orlando, Fort Myers (my mom lives there and could drive us). Nothing is really coming in as what I would consider affordable. I would even be happy with $400 or $450 CAD per person at this point. The main issue is the exchange with USA flights. Sure we can get a good flight for $800 USD but factor that into Canadian and whamo! Guess at this point we will have to look at extra days off work and hotel costs and other factors we werent really hoping to have.

Look at southwest.com for BUF to FLL return.

Southwest currently shows non-stop flight 1362, BUF to FLL, available for two on Feb.27, 9:10am departure with 12:25pm arrival for $212US each.

On Mar.5 non-stop flight 2028, 2:10pm departure and 5:15pm arrival at BUF is available for $142US each.

The $354US each is the total cost as SW doesn't charge luggage fees thus each passenger's first two bags fly free as they say. That's just over $500CAD each at current exchange.

Also long term parking right at BUF airport is as low as $45/week, $9/day and you can get a coupon for $5/week and $1/day discount by filling in the form at the bottom right of the following web page.

http://parking.buffaloairport.com/

Edited by robtulipe

It's possible they were just needing any type of government ID, however our kids 12 and 14 only have a passport as a form of ID.

I believe that children cruising with parents when government issued ID is required to re-enter the port area only need show their ship's card to port security to get back onto their cruise ship.

Also any child's ID such as their birth certificate, a student card or bus pass should do. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Not sure where you are or are going but if you can take spirit (eg. Out of Niagara Falls, Buffalo). I just found a flight to Fort Lauderdale for $95us all in return!!! There is also Frontier out of Detroit that has great deals. Southwest gives you a monthly calendar where you can find the cheapest days to fly. Good luck.

Yes for sure check out spirit but the time flight times a wonky. The other airline had amazing price of Buf was JetBlue, they were cheaper than southwest. Even with the bad exchange JetBlue was cheaper. spirit is cheap but price put all the option. Check bags and Carry on's are charged for.

I thought this news story on CBC had merit especially with the title "Travel destinations made even more attractive with the low Canadian dollar". I thought it had great points until I got to #3, about cruising. ;)

There are still some points to consider which have some value, such as "Post-disaster tourism, exotic tropical destinations and Canada's great big backyard". The only one that really excites me in the heart of winter is exotic destinations. I already know we have a great big backyard, but that is the last thing I want to see at this time of year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/low-cad-travel-tips-1.3415916

Did you check out Flighthub.com... there are some flights with AA for under $400 CA

Yes for sure check out spirit but the time flight times a wonky. The other airline had amazing price of Buf was JetBlue, they were cheaper than southwest. Even with the bad exchange JetBlue was cheaper. spirit is cheap but price put all the option. Check bags and Carry on's are charged for.

I've look at Spirit from Niagara Falls (IAG) to FLL in the past and by the time you add the carry on and checked bags charge of about $100 each, only if paid when booking, later its more, and other charges it the same or more than Southwest. Also there's only one Spirit flight per day that leaves IAG at 2am and gets to FLL at 5am. The return is at 10pm and gets in at 1am. Real nice flight times, eh! My friends told me the service is really something on Spirit. That's why they won't ever fly with them again

Southwest have 8 to 9 flights per day each way on that route and half are non-stop.

I checked out Jet Blue for Apr.27 to Mar.5 flights and they are more expensive without the checked baggage fees. Also the only non-stop flight down gets in at 5:11pm which is a little late for an 4:30pm sailing. The other 10 or so daily flights go through JFK or BOS. Only one non-stop back, at 11:40am so that's OK time wise but price is over double of the SW option and that's again without checked baggage fees included. Rest of return flight are connections through JFK or BOS. :eek:

For Canadians trying to save money on airfare have you looked into getting the Westjet MasterCard? It offers a $250 Westjet welcome bonus, and a $99 return companion flight annually. It also gives you 1.5% back in Westjet dollars for every dollar you spend on the card. My DH and I both have our own card so we each get a companion flight which works out great for our family of 4. The card does come with a 99/year fee but the benefits far out way the cost.

For Canadians trying to save money on airfare have you looked into getting the Westjet MasterCard? It offers a $250 Westjet welcome bonus, and a $99 return companion flight annually. It also gives you 1.5% back in Westjet dollars for every dollar you spend on the card. My DH and I both have our own card so we each get a companion flight which works out great for our family of 4. The card does come with a 99/year fee but the benefits far out way the cost.

Thanks Serena.:). Will have to keep that one in mind.

Another card that we haved save a lot with is the Mariott rewards visa. A 30,000 point sign up bonus (we used for 3 hotel nights) and an annual certificate for a free night at a Category 1-4 hotel. The $129 CDN annual fee is waived for the first year. The first year we used it for about $800 US worth of hotels and now we are paying $129 CDN annually and get a hotel valued at $200 - $250 US per year. Just signed DW up for this.

Another card that we haved save a lot with is the Mariott rewards visa. A 30,000 point sign up bonus (we used for 3 hotel nights) and an annual certificate for a free night at a Category 1-4 hotel. The $129 CDN annual fee is waived for the first year. The first year we used it for about $800 US worth of hotels and now we are paying $129 CDN annually and get a hotel valued at $200 - $250 US per year. Just signed DW up for this.

That one sounds great too! We usually stay at Marriott Hotels so that would be a good one for us too!

Delta seems to have one departing Toronto on Feb 26 @ 7:25 AM going to Fort Lauderdale Returning March 5 on Direct Flight 9:15pm for $ 516.00 cdn

The Marriott VISA also has the great advantage of no currency exchange fee. With almost every other Canadian credit card, they tack on 2.5% over and above the exchange rate, not just on hotel stays, but on every single thing you buy in the US (or any other country)!

And, don't forget that the Westjet MasterCard also offers first bag free when flying on Westjet for you and your travelling companions. For a family of four with four checked bags, that's a $200 savings on round trip baggage fees!