Canadian cruisers!!

Sorry, just realized I didn't reply to this part. We found the bed to be bearable. Ours already had a foam topper on it, and it was firm but not uncomfortable.

Thanks for the reply Canadian Tyler. I have always found the beds on RCCL ships give me the best sleep I get all year. Not sure if it is the beds, the gentle rocking of the ship, I may be exhausted from the day, or the sea air...but I sleep fantastic.

The comments a few weeks ago had me worried. I am sore enough after spills on the flowrider all day. I don't need a brick bed to lay on all night. Hmmm...maybe I should sleep on the flowrider at night when it is turned off if my bed is too hard. That way I would be first in line each morning;)

we just booked on the Liberty for Feb 14/16 at 500pp Canadian for an inside. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

I am glad you got the deal. It appears gone now and is up to about $1000 per person. I hope it was my posting here that alerted you to in, but either way, I am glad you somehow found it.

Another person posted above about flights from Toronto being about $800 and not direct. I looked at flights out of Detroit for my niece. We live half way between Detroit-Toronto-Buffalo, so the best rate wins out. Spirit offered flights down on the Sunday morning arriving at IAH before 9:30am direct for about $150 Canadian and then coming home on the 21st direct arriving in DTW at 10:40 pm for $235. Check Southwest as well the day before. Good flight with one connection into Hobby, TX (closer than IAH) for $150 US.

Thought I'd stick this question in here given all my fellow Canadians are already following along - it may be a stupid question but thought I would ask anyways. I have read that you can use a Starbucks card onboard at Starbucks (We are on Oasis). Does that count for Canadian cards too?

Yes you can! I've used my Canadian Starbucks card on both Oasis and Allure!

I noticed that they have introduced some "resident rates" for Canadians when you are looking at prices on their Canadian site.

Not much to choose from, but makes me think they maybe seeing and/or trying to do something about the impact of the CAD. Let's hope this continues and goes fleet wide. One can hope!

Flights can be had cheap if you catch a seat sale. I got 2 flights direct from YYZ to FLL on Feb 26 and returning on March 5 for a total of $688 CDN ($344pp) with Transat. And Royal Carribeans exchange rate is a little less than what the back will charge you if you are booking in Canadian Dollars.

Flights can be had cheap if you catch a seat sale. I got 2 flights direct from YYZ to FLL on Feb 26 and returning on March 5 for a total of $688 CDN ($344pp) with Transat. And Royal Carribeans exchange rate is a little less than what the back will charge you if you are booking in Canadian Dollars.

I noticed that too. We got a great deal with Air Transat as i happened to look one morning and the price was quite low ($1700 CDN for four of us from Toronto to FLL). And later that night, it was back up again.

Just watch the flight. I regret a bit booking with them since I have noticed them changing flights (I've randomly picked some to monitor that are the same days of the week that we fly leave/return). They would originally have a flight for a Saturday and then at a later time, it's not there. Am a bit worried..especially as they don'r run many flights during the week (and only one a day)

I noticed that too. We got a great deal with Air Transat as i happened to look one morning and the price was quite low ($1700 CDN for four of us from Toronto to FLL). And later that night, it was back up again.

Just watch the flight. I regret a bit booking with them since I have noticed them changing flights (I've randomly picked some to monitor that are the same days of the week that we fly leave/return). They would originally have a flight for a Saturday and then at a later time, it's not there. Am a bit worried..especially as they don'r run many flights during the week (and only one a day)

I hope that doesn't happen. We are cruising on the 27th of Feb and we are going down on the 26th with an early flight. Should be ok. (I Hope)

I hope that doesn't happen. We are cruising on the 27th of Feb and we are going down on the 26th with an early flight. Should be ok. (I Hope)

Us too. Flying out on a day early on a Saturday for a Sunday cruise. But I've noticed some of those original Saturday flights being cancelled (or moved to Friday and/or Sunday). Maybe the Friday flights are more stable.

Just wanted to warn you to keep an eye out in case in happens and you need to fly out a day earlier (or hopefully not later)

Enjoy your crusie.

First time cruiser from Vancouver. Just wondering how early you usually book your flights? We are cruising from FLL on Nov 26 but I'm not sure on when to book the flight. We are planning to fly on the 25th to cover any delays, etc.

Is it better for us to prepay gratuities. If so. Should I do now or wait to see if dollar gets better. Leaving in November

Right now I would say yes based on our dollar. Paying in CAD is always easier too no exchange worries and/or credit card %age for conversion.

Is it better for us to prepay gratuities. If so. Should I do now or wait to see if dollar gets better. Leaving in November

Unfortunately I don't see our $ getting better anytime soon.

When you call to say you want to prepay gratuities they do not charge you right away. It gets added to your bill and is due at final payment which is 75 days before sail date for a typical 7 day cruise.

I also believe the so-called money experts who are talking about a 60 cent dollar. If/when the dollar slides closer to .67-.68 will absolutely prepay gratuities in CAD and pre purchase OBC at 1.40 vs 1.48 or 1.50.

For perspective converted 500.00 USD cost me 748.23 via TD, purchased 500 USD through Royal and was 700.00. $50.00 is still worth something not like the 1.1 exchange though.

First time cruiser from Vancouver. Just wondering how early you usually book your flights? We are cruising from FLL on Nov 26 but I'm not sure on when to book the flight. We are planning to fly on the 25th to cover any delays, etc.

Hi:

I have flown from YVR to FLL many times for the cruise. I usually fly in just the day before, usually flights (United Air), leave very early, arriving after 5pm in FLL. I have obtained great rates by buying tickets a few months before, for a November cruise, the rates will probably come down after the peak, Summer season, around September. Of course, economists predict our lonnie falling to 50 cents! This would affect the flight prices drastically, if that happens.

I have preferred staying at the Hyatt Place, Convention Center, i believe they still offer airport transfers.check out their reviews from Tripadvisor.ca

Taxis to the port are relatively cheap too, don't be persuaded to book any shared shuttles, which work out even more, as they charge per person.

Hope this helps.

We are flying American Airlines from YVR - FLL on Feb 13th and got our flights for $444 return each.

I added the prepaid gratuities to our next cruise booking, a 14 night TA in October, which was done in $CAD and the effective exchange was 1.228 compared to the $US cost, $445.34CAD vs $362.60USD. The saving in CAD for both of us was close to $100 at our credit card's current exchange rate and conversion fees and as mentioned previously you don't pay this until the final payment is due. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

I've read that when we get on and off ship in ports we need to take sea pass and photo ID. Do we need to take passports off ship with us when taking excursions? I really didn't want to take them off the ship. What other types of photo ID have people used? Thx

I've read that when we get on and off ship in ports we need to take sea pass and photo ID. Do we need to take passports off ship with us when taking excursions? I really didn't want to take them off the ship. What other types of photo ID have people used? Thx

No, passports typically aren't mandatory (depends on the port of call/country), but of course they are accepted as a form of photo ID in the general case. You can use a driver's licence with your SeaPass, for example.

Port security typically doesn't even bother checking your kids for a SeaPass card, let alone photo ID for them, at least in my experience. Obviously your kids need their SeaPass cards to leave and return to the ship, but port security at the entrance to the pier may not bother checking. I'm not really sure why that is...just reporting what has happened to my family at multiple ports.

I use my previous, now expired driver's licence so it isn't terrible if it gets lost or damaged. Port security basically just check the name and picture, which is a five years younger, better looking one than on my current DL. :D

DW has also used a color photocopy of her passport information and picture pages with no problem. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

You would rarely be required to have a passport on an excursion. However, check your excursion info because I know that there is a ship excursion to British Tortola that requires a passport.