Rotational Dining coming to Quantum

dirtgirl

Without any Details it´s hard to rate how good this News are, if they are true.

However it´s great News to see RCI finally got wise and attemps to seriously work on the correction of one of the biggest mistakes ever with implementing the most horrible Dining concept of Dynamic Dining.

Another vote for not liking this at all.

To me this is just a knee jerk reaction by RCI. Yes they have had issues and big issues with the rollout and introduction of DD but from recent posts it appeared that they were making some headway into resolving those issues.

I was looking forward to being able to reserve one restaurant 3 or 4 times, another one or two restaurants once and then a couple of nights in a specialty. Now on an 8 day sailing its 2 nights in each whether you like it or not. Talk about forcing you to eat in a specialty restaurant.

As we do not have full details of this hopefully they will be doing this system with half of the tables in each restaurant and allowing the other half to be open seating. To me that should keep most happy and be fairly easy to implement.

If they do make these changes it will be a shame, having a small number of ships with DD was a great idea. We hate the traditional style of dining and were looking forward to this, those that like traditional dining still had plenty of choice.

Unfortunately a lot of people are stuck in the past and hate the concept of something new, if this goes ahead I think RCI will loose out on a whole new generation of cruisers who love the idea of choice.

I had already cancelled my Quantum cruise because of lack of clarity from RCI about the rumored changes for China, this makes me even happier I cancelled. Will have to wait until next year to see what develops

If they do make these changes it will be a shame, having a small number of ships with DD was a great idea. We hate the traditional style of dining and were looking forward to this, those that like traditional dining still had plenty of choice.

Unfortunately a lot of people are stuck in the past and hate the concept of something new, if this goes ahead I think RCI will loose out on a whole new generation of cruisers who love the idea of choice.

I agree to some extent. I am really looking forward to DD on Anthem and really hoping they've introduced it onto Allure for my 2 sailings later this year. I also hate traditional dining and have done MTD ever since it was introduced. I'm also sick of the boring MDR menus and couldn't wait to try the new menus - with much wider variety.

It seems RC have caved in to the DD whingers who want the trad style of dining with the same table same waiter every night but I'm not sure how this can work and accommodate those of us (and the numbers are increasing) who prefer MTD. Will they have a section for trad diners and a section for flexible dining?

Also, there will still be people who just don't like a particular style of food. I can see many choices on all the menus which I would like - far more choices than I ever see in the MDR. However, inevitably some people may not like the food in Silk, or may not want to dress up for Grande. Does this mean that on those nights they have to go elsewhere. Surely the system won't allow them to book into an alternative free restaurant - as surely this is then just Dynamic Dining 'lite'?

I am happy to rotate dining rooms - particularly to get the variety of food - but do not want to be forced into eating at the same time and the same table every night.

I foresee a logistical nightmare :eek:

Edited by Bobal

As I mentioned earlier - I believe this will be an option for those that prefer traditional dining. Please don't panic! I don't see them having no Anytime option.

The key thing is they now coming out and telling what are they doing. There is no point a manager telling this in advance and knowing it will be discussed right away in discussion forums.

There are paying customers who have already planned and booked their dining times for each day - and they haven't been informed at all. They should have been informed first - now we just have to speculate based on Disney model what might be coming. That model doesn't give on option for any time dining - it has fixed times with fixed tables.

Edited by JezzaC

With 4 restaurants each capable of seating 430 guests that is 1720 guests. Early and late seating is 3440 guests. Quantum sails with 4180 at double and 4900 at max.

There is no way that they can be having the rotational dining available for every seat in the dining rooms.

Ding.....ding.....ding.....

We have a winner. Math and facts always over comes rumor and theories.

Disney's version of RD simply can't fit on Quantum class ships. The only way that would work is if there are three seatings. Anyone want to start spreading that rumor?

Biker, who is happy to see all the DD bashing threads replaced with RD bashing threads.:cool:

Edited by Biker19

Suites have their own restaurant - so that takes part of the load away.

And who says you can't squeeze in more chairs and tables to current restaurants? They seem nice and spacy - so they might ruin that feeling quite easliy.

Edited by JezzaC

I can't believe this is now happening. Just when you think you booked & arranged all the dinners it's going to change again. I hope Royal Caribbean come out Asap to to clarify what rotating dining is & what happens to where you have booked each night. Plus if you get to keep your table & wait staff & you're in different restaurants each night they are to follow you?. Surely they wouldn't be waiting on one table each. Or would it mean for example, if you were in chic for say two or three nights you'd have the same table & wait staff?.

It's all confusing to me. It's the last thing you want to worry about before going on holiday. My parents went on the quantum in December & had problems with the dynamic dining but were under the impression the dynamic dining would be the same on the Anthem. Hope this gets sorted soon. We go away in 3months.

I have a great idea for RCCL...

If something aint broke.... Dont fix it....

Point made i think...

:D

You are right the MDR was not broken.I hope they sent all the quantum class ships to China. And replace them with a Voyager or Freedom class ship.But without quantum prices.:)

At 110 it is definitely smaller.

With 4 restaurants each capable of seating 430 guests that is 1720 guests. Early and late seating is 3440 guests. Quantum sails with 4180 at double and 4900 at max.

There is no way that they can be having the rotational dining available for every seat in the dining rooms.

As I mentioned in an earlier post maybe they will make a certain number of tables available for rotational dining. This will appeal to those that want the same waiters every night yet leave the flexibility in booking for those that don't mind having different waiters and doing a little bit more planning.

There is a way on the Quantum/Anthem. Assign everyone to three seatings: early-5pm, mid-7pm, late-9pm. That way everyone can have an assigned "rotating" table and have time between seatings to refresh the dining rooms.

For the Oasis/Allure stick with the traditional Early and Late seatings because those two ships have all of those tables available now.

Or, have Rotational Dining with dining rooms assigned nightly but make all of the table assignments MyTimeDining (as it is now with Dynamic Dining).

As for me, whatever they do to dining, I will find a way to enjoy my dinner experience. Coastal Kitchen and Speciality (for fee) Restaurants will cover the nights that I do not want to go to a Rotational Dining room.

I like Traditional Dining and I really liked Dynamic Dining…I can't imagine that I would dislike Rotational Dining.

However, I would prefer that they leave Dynamic Dining in place on the Anthem, institute Rotational Dining on Oasis and Allure, and keep the rest of the fleet as it is. That would offer something to satisfy those whose dining style is sacred yet provide alternatives for those of us who like variety.

Edited by beachnative

You are right the MDR was not broken.I hope they sent all the quantum class ships to China. And replace them with a Voyager or Freedom class ship.But without quantum prices.:)

Amen to that! Give Bayonne back a Voyager class or leave the Freedom class we are getting for a short time! And your right Quantum & Anthem prices are out of control!

Future Cruises:

RCCL-Liberty of the Seas – Bermuda/Caribbean – 2015

RCCL-Liberty of the Seas – Canada & New England - 2015

RCCL-Anthem of the Seas – Western Caribbean - 2016 ????

RCCL-Diamond Plus

Celebrity-Elite

Norwegian-Silver

Holland-Star Mariner

The Seas are Calling….

I think RCCL have made a huge and costly mistake with Dynamic Dining. Let's hope they don't make another with Rotational Dining. I love RCCL, I love the MDR concept with the addition of paid for restaurants / dining. Like I said

If it ain't broke... Don't fix it...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No one is required to book a Quantum class ship…there are plenty of other ships in the fleet to satisfy traditional cruisers.

It is nice to have ONE ship that is different as a choice for those of us who prefer trying an alternative.

Edited by beachnative

I find this almost comical, if true. I just booked all my dining on Quantum a few weeks ago among some angst worrying about shows, etc. So, it was all in vain? It doesn't matter to me either way as I had pretty much rotate through them anyway, with one specialty thrown in for DH and our friends.

As for those worried about the "math", if this is what is really going to happen, they've already figured it out.

There is a way on the Quantum/Anthem. Assign everyone to three seatings: early-5pm, mid-7pm, late-9pm. That way everyone can have an assigned "rotating" table and have time between seatings to refresh the dining rooms.

I agree that it would seem pretty impossible to implement RD on Quantum/Anthem without three seatings, given the relatively small size of the dining rooms. But as your suggestion above shows, in order to squeeze in a third seating, the times for the first and third seatings would be far too early or too late for most folks.

I think its time for RCI themselves to clarify what they are doing. We are booked on cruises based on what was advertised and I for one don't like the idea of now having to change my eating times and restaurants

When I'm paying thousands of pounds for my holiday I don't want to be eating in the windjammer or having to pay extra for speciality restaurants.

I'm sure this will be sorted but its unfortunate an employee leaked this before we the paying passengers were informed.

We booked the Anthem due to Dynamic Dining. We don't want to have same dining times every night and want to decide ourself where we we dine at each evening. Some of the complimentary restaurants we didn't book at all - since we didn't like the menu or the dress code.

If concept will now change in Anthem - I hope they are giving possibility for full refund - since Dynamic Dining was the one of biggest elements for the ship and now the product will be changed to something totally different. This would also probably mean fixed seating times and not having possibility to any time dining. Doesn't sound very 2015 - maybe 30 years back.

The most important thing for RCCL is now to inform passengers ASAP about this change, so they can rearrange their plans if needed.

We liked DD on Quantum, pick the times you want where you want on the days you want. Have all the dining times for our Anthem 12 night booked not going to be too happy if we have to go through the process all over again. If I wanted to sail with Disney I would book with Disney.

Sounds like all the whining and crying has paid off for those opposed to DD. I think we'll cancel our Anthem ta.

I like Traditional Dining and I really liked Dynamic Dining…I can't imagine that I would dislike Rotational Dining.

However, I would prefer that they leave Dynamic Dining in place on the Anthem, institute Rotational Dining on Oasis and Allure, and keep the rest of the fleet as it is. That would offer something to satisfy those whose dining style is sacred yet provide alternatives for those of us who like variety.

No one is required to book a Quantum class ship…there are plenty of other ships in the fleet to satisfy traditional cruisers.

It is nice to have ONE ship that is different as a choice for those of us who prefer trying an alternative.

You speak far too much sense for someone on a dining thread ;)

There is My Time Dining in addition to the Main Dining Room - so why not Rotating Dining in addition to Dynamic Dyning?

I have used MTD as long as it has been available, and I really like the concept of Dynamic Dining.

I have been on two Quantum cruises (Nov 2, 2014 and January 11, 2015) - still challenges to Dynamic Dining to function optimally - but with a focus on getting the reservation system to work better, the DD concept should work fine.

Just finishing 2 trips on Quantum. Food has been excellent. DD not good concept for the growing number of solo travelers, however. Too much thinking and planning for me trying to arrange shows, etc. Didn't like having to continually check my tv calendar to see where I was supposed to be. Will be more than happy to try RD. But . . . Are there enough seats in the complimentary restaurants to seat everyone at a reasonable hour? 9:00, to me, would not be a good time to eat dinner.