What's standard in your 'medical' onboard kit

mouseterd1

I'm curious what others these days consider good to take with them in their 'medical' kits for the just in case scenarios, besides -

band aides

over the counter pain meds

hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes

cough drops, or the like

sea bands

I got to thinking about this as I pack to cruise shortly. I realize there are many basic things a relatively healthy person can take with them and I know too much can be too much - however, I don't want to miss something obvious and easy to get prior to leaving home --- so I ask what do you consider essential to my list.

I'm not thinking about sun tan stuff, just 'medical' items would could prevent a trip to the ship's doctor. I better add bug repellent to my list as I'm going to the South Pacific.

and along with the stuff mentioned Salonpas - the patches that save my back :)

It really depends upon what port we are leaving from as some stuff can be picked up if we forgot it like FLL, others - it's key to pack.

We have gotten to the point that we just put a few of this and a few of that in and surprisingly, we've had a few roll call members use them.

forearmed is forewarned so to speak. better to pack and not need it than to not pack it and be desparate

I always bring Benadryl tablets now since I found out the hard way that I was allergic to something locally. Major hives and swollen eyes and lips was not fun on vacation.

Pat

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Not quite "medical" in the strictest sense, but if you wear eyeglasses take one of those little eye glass repair kits with the extra hinge pin screws and the little screwdriver. And I usually take a small tube of Cortisone cream.

Edited by Dave in NJ

I ways take pepto and Imodium, a night and day time cold medicine, benadryl, Tylenol or ibuprofen and cough drops. Covers all the bases until you can get to a store for anything specific. The lessee use the happier i am but I have never not used some.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Last year I took those items, antibacterial ointment (neosporin) , cortisone cream, band aids, Benadryl, extra allergy meds, cold meds, medical wrap tape (the flexible kind for sprained ankles etc) sea sickness patches, Imodium, pepto bismol, tums, cough drops, acetaminophen, and a roll of gauze. It all actually fit in a quart size ziplock bag! But I had to use my neosporin and band aids the very first day so it didn't pack as neatly after that. I think I'm going to invest in a small hard case this time. I only bring a few of the different medications minus the stomach ones.

Twice in recent memory we have had a table companion make a trip to the infirmary for meds for constipation relief...

C.

During land vacation to Asia (Taipei), I've packed Advil, Benadryl, allergy medicine, cough medicine, anti-diarrhea and Tums for my trip. I didn't need to use any medicine that I brought but I had to look for laxative over there. I never need to use laxative at home because I eat enough fruit and vegetable at home. :o

Diarrhea is my worst enemy....

Imodium, Gravol, and Tylenol are my must have for family travel. Because of alergic reactions, not all first aid centers can give you medication. When on tour, there's not always time to stop by a pharmacy. On a multi-day tour.... I'm known as the drug dealer because I'm packing this stuff.

At the office, I also have bandages for paper cuts.

Don't need to bring laxatives.... I just look for milk, cheese or ice cream. A few hours later and I become a IED!

Edited by xlxo

I pack my Dear wife, an R.N. She has it down. Z-Pac antibiotics, TripleAntibiotic ointment, 'knock me out' pills for that Worst-case fracture or sprain, Afrin, Advil, Benedryl, Immodium, itch lotion with Lidocaine, Duct Tape, Nail clipper tools, and more. Locomotiveman

Thanks everyone - I very much appreciate your advice for the items you consider valuable to have with you away from home! I now realize that I need to bring along a few more standard good to have items. I now know I don't pack enough! LOL. Clothes I'm good with :eek: ...other stuff, not so much.

My usual "Medical Kit" for cruising:

Injuries/Cuts/Bruises

medical adhesive tape

sterile gauze (4 inch squares)

elastic bandages

several sizes of adhesive bandages

Neosporin and Polysporin

alcohol wipes

hydrogen peroxide

bandage scissors

triangular bandages

Drugs:

aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen

cold, flu, and allergy medications (Allegra, Benadryl, Tylenol Sinus)

NyQuil

epinephrine stick

antibiotic prescriptions (erythromycin and tetracycline)

Orajel (for toothache)

Tums, Peto-Bismol tablets

Campho-Phenique

Flexeril or valium or both (muscle relaxant)

eyewash solutiondssas

Other

antiseptic hand cleanser

insect bite swabs

insect repellent

instant cold packs

tweezers

Band aids [for blisters mainly]

Prescription meds [and at one stage there were a lot]

Ginger and Travelcalm [she who must gets a touch of sea sickness]

The Pill [don't want a little surprise when we get home] well actually we'd love one, just health prohibits.

Some pain killers [i think herself likes Tylenol]

Agree with eyeglass repair kit [or a spare pair of specs]

Tweezers, nail scissors

Insect repellant depending on where and when going

Sun screen depending on where and when going

Band aids [for blisters mainly]

Prescription meds [and at one stage there were a lot]

Ginger and Travelcalm [she who must gets a touch of sea sickness]

The Pill [don't want a little surprise when we get home] well actually we'd love one, just health prohibits.

Some pain killers [i think herself likes Tylenol]

Agree with eyeglass repair kit [or a spare pair of specs]

Tweezers, nail scissors

Insect repellant depending on where and when going

Sun screen depending on where and when going

What the pill the little blue ones!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We actually have 2 medical bags. One contains all our prescriptions.

The other one has:

antibiotics

cough drops

Mucinex

Icy Hot batches

Ibuprophin

Tylenol

Aleve

Imodium

Vicodin

Those 2 medical bags go into our carry-ons.

All other items like Neosporin, eye glass repair kit, bandages, etc. go into suitcases.