What's standard in your 'medical' onboard kit

mouseterd1

Since I travel solo I have all my medical information in a plastic envelope with my name and picture taped on the front, with a label that says "Medical Information" that I tape onto the mirror for "just in case" I have a medical emergency. I explain to the room steward that I'm very healthy, but if needed, the information is easy to get to.

One question. I noticed that some people pack antibiotics/z-pack. How do you get them? do you just go to your dr and say. "I'm going on a cruise can I have some antibiotics just in case?

When we take our long cruises we ask our Dr. for an emergency supply of antibiotics, which she gives us..

I must be very careful about using antibiotics, as I take Nexium twice a day & if I use an antibiotic for more than a couple of days, can come down with C-diff, which is no fun!

It's also important to remember to discard any meds after their "use by" date or those which are a year old in your medical kit..

Edited by serendipity1499

Oh, yes ... eyeglasses repair kit! I didn't think of that as part of my medical supplies, but it's something that I take. It's light weight, fits into a corner, and I don't ever take it out of the bag .. but I know where it is if I need it. I also take a spare pair of glasses in addition to prescription sunglasses.

One question. I noticed that some people pack antibiotics/z-pack. How do you get them? do you just go to your dr and say. "I'm going on a cruise can I have some antibiotics just in case?

Have a 25+ year relationship with my primary care physician, and that's just what I do. I'm prone to throat infections and it's good to have a course of antibiotics available.

I must be very careful about using antibiotics, as I take Nexium twice a day & if I use an antibiotic for more than a couple of days, can come down with C-diff, which is no fun!

You are wise to be careful and point out that issue. C-Diff is definitely no fun...and can be fatal, as in my mother-in-law's case. She took antibiotics for a leg wound, then got C-Diff, and died in the hospital a few weeks later. In fact, we were within a few days of sailing to Hawaii on Oosterdam but decided to cancel and by doing so, were with her when she died.

Since I travel solo I have all my medical information in a plastic envelope with my name and picture taped on the front, with a label that says "Medical Information" that I tape onto the mirror for "just in case" I have a medical emergency. I explain to the room steward that I'm very healthy, but if needed, the information is easy to get to.

I do something similar as part of my regular routine, but haven't taken it to this level. I like your routine. I think I'll adopt some of your suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm curious what others these days consider good to take with them in their 'medical' kits for the just in case scenarios, besides -

band aides

over the counter pain meds

hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes

cough drops, or the like

sea bands

I got to thinking about this as I pack to cruise shortly. I realize there are many basic things a relatively healthy person can take with them and I know too much can be too much - however, I don't want to miss something obvious and easy to get prior to leaving home --- so I ask what do you consider essential to my list.

I'm not thinking about sun tan stuff, just 'medical' items would could prevent a trip to the ship's doctor. I better add bug repellent to my list as I'm going to the South Pacific.

Besides what you include we take:

Imodium

Alka seltzer

Tylenol (husband can't use aspirin)

Bacitracin

Meclazine (generic Bonine)

Cold pills

Hydrocortizone ointment. (For itchiness)

Aloe Vera lotion

I'm prone to bronchitis so have Rx antibiotics "in case"

I do something similar as part of my regular routine, but haven't taken it to this level. I like your routine. I think I'll adopt some of your suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas.

Indeed, Ruth! This is probably one of the most important things people forget; a medical history. My DW can't begin to tell anyone the surgeries I've had and the drugs I'm on and been on. I have it all down in printable form (including photo) that I carry in my wallet and always print one out for traveling and carry it separately. DW also has one.

I think RevNeal also mentioned something I didn't see in too many other kits; Orajel or something like it for toothaches. I too carry this when I travel, something learned long ago when I traveled for work.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I'm curious what others these days consider good to take with them in their 'medical' kits for the just in case scenarios, besides -

band aides

over the counter pain meds

hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes

cough drops, or the like

sea bands

I got to thinking about this as I pack to cruise shortly. I realize there are many basic things a relatively healthy person can take with them and I know too much can be too much - however, I don't want to miss something obvious and easy to get prior to leaving home --- so I ask what do you consider essential to my list.

I'm not thinking about sun tan stuff, just 'medical' items would could prevent a trip to the ship's doctor. I better add bug repellent to my list as I'm going to the South Pacific.

I always pack:

- All prescription medications (with extra days for safety buffer)

- Advil, Tylenol, Bayer Aspirin (yes, all 3 because they work different for different things)

- Immodium Capsules & Pepto Bismol Chewables

- Simethicone Capsules (can be helpful especially coming off long flights or adjusting to different foods)

- Bonnie Sea-Sickness Chewables & Ginger Gum/Candy

- Hydrocortizone Cream

- Anti-biotic Ointment & Band Aids

- Kytta Cream (miracle for strains, sprains, backache, etc.) or Arnica Gel

- Salonpas Sticky Pads

- Nux Vomica (homeopathic against Nausea)

- Nasal Spray

- Benadryl

- Throat Lozenges & Cough Drops

- Day Quil/Ni Quil Capsules and a couple bags of Theraflu drink mix

- Also I carry a few air-sickness bags, which have saved a parent or two on an excursion before, though I personally have never needed one :eek:

I think this just about covers it. I usually don't touch much if any of it. It just stays in it's travel Zip Bag, but I feel better to be prepared. ;)

It's also important to remember to discard any meds after their "use by" date or those which are a year old in your medical kit..

I think this is actually a personal preference and comfort level. There have been studies to disprove that all medications "go bad". Many things actually stay good, potent, and perfectly safe for many years. :) However, big pharma of course rather see us buy a new load every year or so! :p

Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Shiraz, Zinfandel and whatever else is on sale at Total Wine ... and aspirin :D

Amen.

I'm lucky if I remember sunblock (I have about a 70% success rate with that) and aspirin (50%), nevermind anything else.

Seriously, I can't imagine being as prepared for anything as most of the fine folk in this thread are. I can't even imagine thinking about preparing to be so prepared. :eek:

Yeah, I totally flunked Boy Scouts.

I think this is actually a personal preference and comfort level. There have been studies to disprove that all medications "go bad". Many things actually stay good, potent, and perfectly safe for many years. :) However, big pharma of course rather see us buy a new load every year or so! :p

I agree with you. Tylenol doesn't magically go bad from one day to the next. Some drugs may lose their potency, but they can do that also based on how they are stored (in a humid bathroom, anyone)?

I won't tell you the sell-by date of the yogurt I'm eating at this moment. :eek:

Things out of the ordinary:

Life straw, N99 mask, latex gloves, Hibiclens, temporary fillings, potassium iodide

Fortunately, I've only ever had to use the Hibiclens (which I use a few times a day even at home).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We do ask for antibiotics to take on the longer cruises "just in case". A travel nurse reminded us that we could request the pharmacy to put the expiration date on the prescription bottle, if they don't do it as a matter of course.

Seriously, I can't imagine being as prepared for anything as most of the fine folk in this thread are. I can't even imagine thinking about preparing to be so prepared. :eek:

Me either. I have gotten my share (more than my share, actually) of bandages, Bacitracin packs, and alcohol swabs, at the Infirmary, so wouldn't dream of bringing them from home.

Never needed anything else, but if I do? I'm sure there will be something on the ship that will do the trick.

Have a 25+ year relationship with my primary care physician, and that's just what I do. I'm prone to throat infections and it's good to have a course of antibiotics available.

We used to do this on every trip, but those doctors retired and the new younger ones won't prescribe them unless you have an infection. They want you to visit a doctor and be evaluated. But I didn't know if this was fear of something medically or fear of malpractice.

We also take an ice bag.

My usual "Medical Kit" for cruising:

Injuries/Cuts/Bruises

medical adhesive tape

sterile gauze (4 inch squares)

elastic bandages

several sizes of adhesive bandages

Neosporin and Polysporin

alcohol wipes

hydrogen peroxide

bandage scissors

triangular bandages

Drugs:

aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen

cold, flu, and allergy medications (Allegra, Benadryl, Tylenol Sinus)

NyQuil

epinephrine stick

antibiotic prescriptions (erythromycin and tetracycline)

Orajel (for toothache)

Tums, Peto-Bismol tablets

Campho-Phenique

Flexeril or valium or both (muscle relaxant)

eyewash solutiondssas

Other

antiseptic hand cleanser

insect bite swabs

insect repellent

instant cold packs

tweezers

Nice list

I have taken pain medicine I have, but never take, with me on vacation and was very grateful when I tore my achilles within 20 minutes at the beach. Allowed me to at least rest comfortably while partner went out for takeout meals and such. I am prone to these tears due to health issues and I was glad I had planned ahead.

I always carry a collapsible walking stick, too. A Komperdell which has a removable rubber foot to expose a sharp tip for icy weather. I bought extra rubber feet and they last a long time. I try to strap it to my carry-on via a carabiner in the overhead or to my jacket/personal bag so I don't leave it behind on a plane, which I did once. That has been great when I needed it and if I didn't, it was little trouble to bring along.

I never pack the seacalm because it is free at the front desk, if you need it. My partner needs it a few evenings on each cruise and I just go down and ask politely for some.

Anybody know if we can get a Z-Pak in the ship's pharmacy? There aren't very many antibiotics that will work w/ a sinus infection, and I have side effects to the others.

Yes you can. You have to have a doctors exam first for him to prescribe it if he feels you need it

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just copied & pasted an old list from this laptop from 2011 from our 'packing list', aka, reminder list for cruise and land touring. Methinks it has been updated since then but I think you get the general idea.

Pack what you may need but don't get too carried away. Keep it simple.

BTW, we're both medical folks so we tend to 'overdo' prescriptions versus dealing with local foreign pharmacies or ship board infirmaries.

4. TRAVEL BATH BAG

Toothbrush / toothpaste Laundry stain remover stick

Dental floss, #2 travel Kleenex packets Ear plugs

Nail / Toe trimmers Q tips (small baggie)

Tweezers / trimming scissors Pepto-Bismol tablets

Nails file, small Purell sanitizer A & D ointment

Chap Stick / cough drops Band-Aids, DEET

Hairbrush / comb / hair ties Stick deodorant

RX’s (mini travel vials):

Amoxicillin 500mg, Keflex 500mg, Doxycycline 100mg, Vicodan 7.5/500 mg

Tylenol 500 mg, Aleve 200mg, Benadryl 25 & 50 mg, Prednisone 20 mg

Pepsid 20mg, Prevacid 30mg, Sucralfate (Carafate) 500 mg, Loperamid 2 mg.

Diazepam 2 & 10 mg, Clonazepam 0.5 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Claritin 10 mg

Transderm patches, Bonine 25 mg, Triple Antibiotic & Clortrimazole ointments.

Makeup Bag (#2 eye shadow, mascara) Perfume/ small Baby powder

Hair clips / pins / scrunches’ / bands Shampoo / Conditioner

Lotion / nail polishes & remover Disposable Razors X2

Inhaler / Nasal spray/Lotrisone cream Cuticle scissors, sm. cotton squares

Have a Great Trip !

Be well.

Bob