Man falls off Constellation

FLACRUISER99

I'd like to know if people are hooched when this happens. Just so I can rule out a rogue wave or gust of wind.... don't get me wrong, regardless of why or how my heart goes out to all affected. I'd just feel a bit safer if I knew I'd really have to work at it.

Sent from my SGH-I467M using Forums mobile app

I'd like to know if people are hooched when this happens. Just so I can rule out a rogue wave or gust of wind.... don't get me wrong, regardless of why or how my heart goes out to all affected. I'd just feel a bit safer if I knew I'd really have to work at it.

You'd have to work at it. I'm only 5'2 and at that height - I'd have to climb a bit. Most of the time this either comes down to drunk or suicide. Very sad for the family either way.

At that age (66), I would suspect suicide rather than alcohol. Perhaps he had a medical issue that was really serious.

DON

Very sad...esp. for the family. Sympathies go out to them

Apart from this unfortunate incident, we often wondered how difficult it might be to " fall" off a cruise ship accidentally.

Well, on our recent 1/24 Connie cruise we saw just how close it can be! We were enjoying lunch in Tuscan Grill, which overlooks the pool deck. The DJ was one level down playing horribly loud as usual....The party crowd was revved up. On our level outside the windows, we saw a guy..no shirt, beer in hand standing and dancing on a lounger right next to the side rail.. ..kind of losing his balance. His party buddies reeled him back and helped him down off the lounger. Now we see how easily it can happen...apart from truly unfortunate events.

Edited by hcat

Most people going off ships are suicides or people under the influence of some substance. There is a great man overboard site on cruise junky which has a list of overboard incidents. If you open the site scroll down for a short synopsis of each incident.

How horribly sad for the family. I can't imagine someone booking a cruise to commit suicide. If they're intent on doing it, there must be another way.

And what does being a good swimmer have to do with going overboard from the 11th deck? I can't even begin to imagine the impact from that height....and yes, I know it's water, but wouldn't you get sucked under the ship?

Sadly, there will always be many unanswered questions. :(

Edited by midwestchick

How horribly sad for the family. I can't imagine someone booking a cruise to commit suicide. If they're intent on doing it, there must be another way.

And what does being a good swimmer have to do with going overboard from the 11th deck? I can't even begin to imagine the impact from that height....and yes, I know it's water, but wouldn't you get sucked under the ship?

Sadly, there will always be many unanswered questions. :([/QUOT

I wonder if it comes down to life insurance for the family since it really never could be proved that it was a suicide.

Sadly, there will always be many unanswered questions. :([/QUOT

I wonder if it comes down to life insurance for the family since it really never could be proved that it was a suicide.

But...could it be proven that it wasn't? Regardless, it bothers me to think of someone falling from that height into the water. How horrible.

What kind of crowd would that be? A higher percentage of passengers somewhat more likely to leap to their death from the 11th deck? I'm confused.

I think was that poster was getting at that sometimes these are short "party cruises". If you read that on cruise junkie, you'll notice that Carnival has the most people overboard...I believe Carnival is known for inexpensive "party cruises". I don't think anything bad was meant by it.

Deck 11 only has a few cabins on either side, and aft overlooks the bar. There is no reason for anyone to be on deck 11 at 3:00 am unless they are on their own balcony and it would be hard to go over the rail unless intentional, IMHO....very sad...

Deck 11 only has a few cabins on either side, and aft overlooks the bar. There is no reason for anyone to be on deck 11 at 3:00 am unless they are on their own balcony and it would be hard to go over the rail unless intentional, IMHO....very sad...

We'll probably never know what deck his stateroom was on.

I feel very sorry for his family. I also can never understand how this happens - you can't just "fall overboard".

Last year there was a 20/20 show with a girl who had gone overboard on a Carnival ship. She admitted she had way too much to drink and was leaning way out over the rail to see the front of the ship and she fell over. She admitted it was her own fault. But yet she was suing Carnival because they left her in the water too long before they came back to find her.

She was very, very lucky she was alive...

I was on this cruise and we never heard anything about it

:eek: :eek: Wow...how would word not have spread?

While I too am amazed at the lack of news in this case, it does appear to be a real story ...

After searching 900 nautical miles, the U.S. Coast Guard has called off its search for a Canadian man who was on a cruise that included a Key West port call and who ended up in the water.

It appears he went overboard about 3:30 a.m. Sunday. The Coast Guard was notified five hours later. "I'm not exactly sure how they determined he was gone," Bermont said, but it looks like his wife who was with him notified the ship's staff.

Here is a link ... http://www.keysnet.com/2015/02/04/501021/search-ends-for-canadian-tourist.html