Celebrity, please change the menus

true45

We are doing a 14-night for the 1st time next sailing.

Lots of talk about changes and cost cutting. Would it be so expensive if the menus were revamped? It would be a huge plus to me. Tried Blu -- change is not necessarily an improvement.

By the way, thanks for the Lavazza coffee. That was a terrific change.

May I suggest things I would like?

More and varied vegetables.

Pork tenderloin, Beef stroganoff,

Ethnic specialties such as Greek spanakopita, moussaka, pastitsio, Italian, Eastern European such as pierogi, kielbasa, French like the coq au vin I grew to love on Celebrity.

Vary the desserts

Love the apple pie but would love to see a cannoli or eclair once in a while

Please improve the quality of the beef or cook it in a way that tenderizes it.

Ok, this wish list is long enough.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The menus are getting a little old for those of us who cruise a lot. The beef on my Connie cruise in November and December was absolutely inedible, a first for Celebrity. And we get that you have cornered the market on green beans. Maybe you could serve other vegetables once in a while?

The new Lavazza coffee is a definite improvement.

The menus are getting a little old for those of us who cruise a lot. The beef on my Connie cruise in November and December was absolutely inedible, a first for Celebrity. And we get that you have cornered the market on green beans. Maybe you could serve other vegetables once in a while?

The new Lavazza coffee is a definite improvement.

I agree HappyCruiser

The filet and steak were terrible

We also thought the side vegetables were weak or non-existent (surprising for the purported thrust of blu)...we were told we could order whatever we wanted as a side...asparagus, broccoli, green beans, carrots, zucchini - so we started doing that. Once in a while we would order the vegetarian entrée to share in addition to our other, meat or fish or fowl, choices.

If you don't ask they have no idea what you think might be missing.

Lots of talk about changes and cost cutting. Would it be so expensive if the menus were revamped? It would be a huge plus to me. Tried Blu -- change is not necessarily an improvement.

Ethnic specialties such as Greek spanakopita, moussaka, pastitsio, Italian, Eastern European such as pierogi, kielbasa, French like the coq au vin I grew to love on Celebrity.

Vary the desserts

Thanks

So much agreement with your suggestions, and I really like the new coffee, too.

We were on Eclipse in May of 2013 and one night in Blu our waiter offerred a special that the chef had made - moussaka! Oh my gosh, it was SO GOOD! We saw empty plates all around us - lots of happy diners that evening! Why not let the chefs help develop their specialties into great new dishes?

We also thought the side vegetables were weak or non-existent (surprising for the purported thrust of blu)...we were told we could order whatever we wanted as a side...asparagus, broccoli, green beans, carrots, zucchini - so we started doing that. Once in a while we would order the vegetarian entrée to share in addition to our other, meat or fish or fowl, choices.

If you don't ask they have no idea what you think might be missing.

To serve 2-3 asparagus as the vegetable portion of the dinner in Blu a couple of weeks ago is silly to me

We were not told a vegetarian menu existed until I noted there was a vegetarian entree with no protein just plain pasta with marinara. We shouldn't have to guess what choices we might have in my opinion

I like the Montreal way of serving. The restaurants would serve the meal in thirds like 1/3 veggie, starch and protein. I don't need a slab of beef I can't chew with 2 carrots and 2 tablespoons of potato. Maybe it would be more cost effective for them to serve more veggies and smaller meat portions that are better quality.

I agree with your comments on menus becoming boring but I fear that you/we will be pleasantly surprised, as we were with the aqua spa cafe, with a change in the menu offering more pasta and far less beef, chicken, etc....and it will be positioned to achieve consistency worldwide and a healthier, more modern luxury menu (which just accidentally costs less).

In other words, the price of meat is rising as you've probably noticed in your local food market....so it's quite possible, if not likely that Celebrity is at this very moment trying to reduce the meat content on all of their menus to stay within a budget.

This is only an opinion, based on no facts or inside information....it's just logical and predictable....

Yes!!!!

For those of us that are regular Celebrity customers the menus are tired. How many years has it been? At least five since a major menu overhall.

Blu has had the same fourteen day menu since it's inception.

The cruise fares have doubled over the last five years, let's see some new fresh menus, something to get excited about.

And, maybe redoing Qsine or revamping it. It was fun the first time, but then it just is a lot of heavy food and none of it great by the third time

When I read the menu, I read all the vegetables that are with all the entrees. If I like more than one, I ask for it as a side dish. Or, I will ask for double veggies with my entree.

They want to please us; just order the extras you want.

Yes!!!!

For those of us that are regular Celebrity customers the menus are tired. How many years has it been? At least five since a major menu overhall.

Blu has had the same fourteen day menu since it's inception.

The cruise fares have doubled over the last five years, let's see some new fresh menus, something to get excited about.

And, maybe redoing Qsine or revamping it. It was fun the first time, but then it just is a lot of heavy food and none of it great by the third time

Agree!

If Celebrity took the request for the serious need of a menu change, how long do you think it would take to implement changes? It would be great if each Chef on board each ship was provided more latitude to develop their own menus within the approved budget from head office. true45 nails it on the head where more specialty/ethnic dining would break the monotony in the dining room. Any change in the main dining room would be welcomed I believe...the sooner the better.

I agree with your comments on menus becoming boring but I fear that you/we will be pleasantly surprised, as we were with the aqua spa cafe, with a change in the menu offering more pasta and far less beef, chicken, etc....and it will be positioned to achieve consistency worldwide and a healthier, more modern luxury menu (which just accidentally costs less).

In other words, the price of meat is rising as you've probably noticed in your local food market....so it's quite possible, if not likely that Celebrity is at this very moment trying to reduce the meat content on all of their menus to stay within a budget.

This is only an opinion, based on no facts or inside information....it's just logical and predictable....

It is not just cutting the meat down a bit that I'm hoping for

There are so many different dishes that could be offered to have the same basic menus for so many years is boring. I admit that since I have to provide meals for my family and am often bored by MY own recipes (& have to find new dishes), I LOVE the part of the cruise experience where someone else prepared my meals. Modern luxury could or should include varied creative cuisine. I don't think it would increase their costs. They must know that the loyal customers are bored.

I agree with the above posts....but I dread the thought of any change at this time because it would likely be a cost reduction dressed in some marketing rhetoric. Just a friendly reminder that Change is not always positive......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With all those Greek officers, surely they prepare some Greek food for them.

I wonder why Greek food is not offered as an option for the passengers.

Also other ethnic foods. We are always told how they prepare native foods of the various nationalities for the crew members.

On days when they are preparing them for crew anyway, why not make extra and let us partake as well. It could be a crew special of the day menu, offered in addition to the regular dining room menu.

Yes!!!!

We have not really seen fares doubling. Our first cruise was 2012 and if I add in the beverage package to that it is almost the same as what we paid for 2017 recently. Princess racked up their costs in 2011/12, which was what moved us on to Celebrity and haven't seen a significant rise since then.

That said I do shagreen that the menus need to be updated regularly like St the worst, annually.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

We have not really seen fares doubling. Our first cruise was 2012 and if I add in the beverage package to that it is almost the same as what we paid for 2017 recently. Princess racked up their costs in 2011/12, which was what moved us on to Celebrity and haven't seen a significant rise since then.

That said I do shagreen that the menus need to be updated regularly like St the worst, annually.

I agree about the pricing: factoring in premium beverages in all cases we paid £2600pp for C2 in Feb 2013 (Antarctica) and currently have booked Arabian Sea and India in C1 aft Christmas and New Year 2016/17 £2300pp and Round the Horn in C2 March 2017 at the same price. Plus 2 cruises 2015 and 2016 in 2B for £1900pp.

So much agreement with your suggestions, and I really like the new coffee, too.

We were on Eclipse in May of 2013 and one night in Blu our waiter offerred a special that the chef had made - moussaka! Oh my gosh, it was SO GOOD! We saw empty plates all around us - lots of happy diners that evening! Why not let the chefs help develop their specialties into great new dishes?

Moussaka would be easy for them. When I make it at home always make 2 platters. One to be eaten that day another in the freezer for a future date.

Also its inexpensive dish.

I often wonder how much flexibility they give the Head Chef to create with constant budget considerations. These chefs have all these credentials but what good is it if you don't let them create.

BTW, Was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Lavazza coffee in the Oceanview on last months Reflection cruise. Enjoyed it thoroughly

Edited by Banjo

Vary the desserts

Thanks

I do like many of your suggestions. In particular, some Greek dishes like moussaka would be nice, but keep the kielbasa. I have never had an issue with the veggies served. Also, we find Celebrity's desserts to be to our liking, especially Crepe Suzette.

We love the lamb dishes served by Celebrity and don't order beef so much. Never had a bad steak on Celebrity.

Love the Indian dishes in the buffet.

We prefer Celebrity, but sometime cruise on NCL. On our last NCL cruise last fall, we discovered that NCL had revised its menus and much improved the food, but it still was not as good as Celebrity.

The only thing about serving ethnic dishes is that you need someone that knows how to cook them properly.

I would like to see some change, but then don't mees with the lamb or the Crepe Suzettes.

For infrequent cruisers, I think the menus are probably fine. However, for those of us who cruise several times a year, things do get a little repetitive. I agree that having a few selections from the crew menu would be fun, or items reflecting the area the ship is cruising in.

In an ideal world, each ship would have its own menus, with the head chef being able to add some specialties. I understand that for printing purposes and consistency, it makes sense for all ships to have the same menus, but perhaps there could be a few specials, chosen by the chef and the wait staff could mention them on the evenings they are available. It could even be a type of cost-saving measure. If they give me a choice of an expensive filet or Singapore street noodles, I'd pick the noodles, saving the cruise line some money. :)

For what it's worth, I find the same thing to be true with the entertainment. If the production shows were different from ship to ship, it would make for a more interesting experience for frequent cruisers; however, I do understand why it's easier and more cost-effective to have the same shows on each ship.

My experience is different. I went on three two week Celebrity cruises in 2012, all in Aqua class. South America, Transatlantic and Panama Canal.

The price without beverage package ranged from $1200-1600 per person.

The same or similar cruises are now $2500-$3000 pp

And yes, the menus are still the same three years later......Blu's pecan crusted duck breast remains one of the worst dishes at sea, and with a few exceptions, the " chefs " in Blu still struggle to properly cook game birds.

As a regular cruiser the whole experience is becoming a bore. Some people may enjoy the familiar and I accept that but unfortunately I am not one of them. While I am very appreciative we can indulge ourselves in extended vacations, the experience has to be pleasurable. While I love the cruising concept, we used to do B2B 21/28 nights but have scaled that back and now thinking of not cruising next year at all. Reason, poor service caused by lack of staff who have not been sufficiently trained (possibly greater turnover as a result hence more newbies arriving). Poor food, trying to provide meat that has not been hung sufficiently long and therefore will always be tough, beef should be hung for minimum 21 days but preferably 28 where flavour is allowed to develop and tenderising process completes. As for Moussaka, don't wish for what you dream of as you may well get what you don't want. Have you tasted the Moussaka serviced in the Buffet? Well it bears no resemblance to Moussaka that I get in Greece or Scotland in fact I would go as far as to say it is the same dish that is Cottage Pie, Shepherds Pie, Lasagne, Bolognese with a hint of different seasoning/veg, you get my drift. Finally, boring repetitive food and waiters crashing and running around the dining area, does not make for fine dining. The price for a 14 night CC cabin in 2016 was going to cost well over £4000, when I add air fare, hotels etc on to the cost I think I can get a far better deal renting a villa in the sun, cook my own quality food and dine out in a place of my choosing that if the food/service is rubbish I won't return. Cant do this on a cruise unless I don't return the following year, which is now my future plan. My cruise in coming weeks will make my mind up once and for all.

Being one, among the many thousands, who finds herself lucky to be able to cruise once a year, I have no problem with the MDR & buffet menus staying the same.

I haven't tried every dish yet!

Maybe it is just luck, but I have only had one meal that I have had to send back; a steak that was too rare.

I do agree it would be nice if there was a regional feature each night, but it is not necessary in the MDR, maybe one of the specialty restaurants could offer this, and a frequently changing/ chef inspired menu.

I do think if one is willing to pay a surcharge for those restaurants then the menus could change more frequently.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

On the Eclipse this summer the favourites on the left hand side of the menu were on a two day rotation. Additionally, on the last night there was some US Cookery TV Show Tie in with the menu - maybe I picked the wrong items but this was my least favourite meal of the 14 days.

After many years of dreadful coffee, we were really happy with the improvement on our cruise last month - apart from the fact that they waited until we were Elite+ with included cappuccinos to improve the free offering!

I would agree with the posters who would like more vegetables with entrees. Surely the vegetable portion of the meal is cheaper to produce than the meat/fish part, so why is it so sparse. I know it is possible to request more vegetables, but with many people choosing to eat more healthy diets, it would seem reasonable to include more initially.

Sheila