First Princess cruise since 2006, is the coffee still the worst on the high seas?

houstoncruisers2001

I have no problems with the coffee syrup in the buffet. It's no worse than 99% of the coffee I drink in America. The fresh brewed in the IC falls into that 99%. You can find rich, flavorful aromatic coffee in Europe without trying hard -even in motorway rest stops. U.S expectations IMO are set low which explains the success of Starbucks.

Norris

I've never sailed on Princess, but I bet Celebrity Cruises would give them a run for the money when it comes to "worst coffee on the seas". We love sailing with Celebrity, but their coffee can best be described as horrendous. Kind of like drinking coffee made with compost and then filtered through wood chips.

Depending on what ship you'll be sailing, there was a thread maybe about a week ago that said that the Royal and Regal serve fresh-brewed coffee at no additional charge. It's machine-made and they do single servings, a bit like keurig or tassimo.

Just in case, I'd invest on a coffee card to ensure you get the good stuff.

Get a coffee card and have very good, fresh brewed coffee at the International Café.

The All Inclusive Beverage Sticker also works for fresh brewed coffee in the International Café. ;)

I'm not a coffee drinker, but DH always gets fresh brewed at the IC.

LuLu

I agree with Pam, coffee tastes are very personal. DW and I have no problems with Princess coffee which we take with our breakfast. After dinner, we usually have espresso which is quite good as my Italian roots tell me.:D

I have in the past purchased a coffee card. Last cruise I didn't get the coffee card and was fine with the regular. However I did missed grabbing a double espresso before excusions on the way off ship. Lately I've developed a taste for a nice cappuccino on occassion and think I will get card this time around. Besides, good excuse to check out the pastries in the IC. ;)

Edited by philv

My opinion: All run-of-the-mill cruise coffee is the same: like mud but weaker, no real coffee flavor.

The Princess coffee card ($25 I think, for 15 espresso-based coffees and unlimited "fresh-brewed" at the International Café) is a really good deal. The "fresh-brewed" is uneven. It's not always fresh, sometimes the bottom of the pot. But the specialties are a bargain at the price. I wish other cruise lines had the coffee card.

Jim

We always felt Princess coffee was gawd awful and we always brought a coffee card. Just got off the Royal two weeks ago and what a surprise! The coffee in the MDR and Horizon Court was quite drinkable. Fabulous, no passable,

yes. Of course a little Bailey's improves any coffee. And speaking of Bailey's I am so pleased that Princess finally heard and stocks the real thing.There is nothing like Bailey's for breakfast with a fresh International Cafe donut.

Is the Princess coffee the worst on the Seas?

Hard to tell.

RCI board says they have the worst.

Carnival board says they claim the title.

Celebrity board insists the honor is theirs.

etc.

Funny Above! :D

People on ALL of the mass market cruise lines seem to do the "our coffee is worse than yours". :rolleyes: ... :D

LuLu

Funny question. If you have to mention it, you probably have already decided you don't like the taste of any coffee other than the specific one(s) you are familiar with.

Espresso drinks are fresh made, and the espresso bar is always busy with passengers getting espresso drinks, brewed coffee and special teas. Conclusion, passengers enjoy going there, so they must enjoy the drinks.

Free coffee on most ships is from a syrup concentrate, similar to Burger King. On the Royal and Regal the free coffee is from ground coffee prepared something like the K Cups when you push the button.

I do not know about other cruise lines, but to most of us Brits the coffee on Princess tastes like recycled dish water! It is truly dreadful. We always buy a coffee card and also take instant coffee sachets with us. So, yes if not the worst coffee on the high seas it must be up there with the worst of them.

Is the Princess coffee the worst on the Seas?

Hard to tell.

RCI board says they have the worst.

Carnival board says they claim the title.

Celebrity board insists the honor is theirs.

etc.

Great post! :)