Why did Celebrity do away Farewell Napkin Waving

B17

Maybe the napkin waving scared all of the therapy animals.

Ouch! I was intending to just lurk here and not comment but this! TG I had set my soda down before I read it. Can't afford a new computer right now:p

On the serious side, I haven't seen this "spectacle" for a few years now because we don't stay for desert. Haven't missed it either:eek:

I loved it and thought the napkin waving was fun and I'm not ashamed to admit it! :eek:

The tradition is alive and well on Carnival and on the last night the waiters and chefs line the stairs and balcony and sing the sad, sad, sad, "good bye" song - we no longer sail with them but I'd always get a tear in my eye.

Maybe because it came over hook, line and sinker from Carnival, which so many X cruisers love to bash.

Or maybe cause it is just plain tacky.

Or, as the last poster said, even the kids thought it was corny.

Unfortunately, it has not died a well deserved death. All 3 of our Eclipse cruises featured it last year, complete with CD Sue (who we think is great) yelling into the mike. Really annoying upstairs in Select when you've barely begun your main and some around you start with the hoopla.

Sorry, that ain't modern luxury :)

Was done on Equinox in Jan.

Hi Orv,

It was not offered on the 1/23 Equinox sailing. We may have been one of the first sailings for it to be excluded.

I wasn't overly thrilled with it's execution over the past couple of years, as it seemed to get louder and louder with each cruise... so I'm ok with it's elimination. With that said, I always felt it was a welcome opportunity to say "thank you", to the wonderful crew, who work tirelessly for Celebrity's guests, and that aspect will be missed.

With tables getting closer and closer together, maybe a few too many people complained of being swatted in the face with a napkin from the next table...EM

Curious, why would it be thought tables are getting closer and closer together? Have they added a large amount of new cabins an passengers to the ships over the years? I know a few were added to M class during solstization, most though go to BLU and not MDR.

To my knowledge none of the S class have added capacity since being built.

The MDR on S class ships have enough seats to accommodate 100% capacity of passengers, and that many do specialty dining and buffet, means there are always unused seats in the space. So doesn't seem like anything is to be gained by adding in seats and squeezing tables together....

Curious, why would it be thought tables are getting closer and closer together? Have they added a large amount of new cabins an passengers to the ships over the years? I know a few were added to M class during solstization, most though go to BLU and not MDR.

To my knowledge none of the S class have added capacity since being built.

The MDR on S class ships have enough seats to accommodate 100% capacity of passengers, and that many do specialty dining and buffet, means there are always unused seats in the space. So doesn't seem like anything is to be gained by adding in seats and squeezing tables together....

Actually, Reflection did add additional cabins.

Actually, Reflection did add additional cabins.

When were they added on? I thought it was built originally with the extra cabins versus the other S class. Or did they add a deck after like they did to M class?

• Reflection has Capacity of 3030 passengers, and MDR seats 1460 per seating; BLU accommodates 152 per seating and has 152 standard cabins plus 32 Suites (which become Sky Suites in April)
  • Equinox has capacity of 2850 passengers and MDR seats 1420; BLU seats 130 per seating for 130 AQ cabins

So Reflection does have 180 more passengers capacity, which are accommodated 80 in extra MDR seating, 44 in BLU, and balance of 56 elsewhere in Specialties and Buffet.

Reflection is the anomaly in the fleet as far as S class goes, I think they added cabins partially due to being able to accommodate guests in specialties thus not needing all the MDR capacity as people got into using specialties. They are using their resources in a more efficient manner.

When were they added on? I thought it was built originally with the extra cabins versus the other S class. Or did they add a deck after like they did to M class?

•  
  • Reflection has Capacity of 3030 passengers, and MDR seats 1460 per seating; BLU accommodates 152 per seating and has 152 standard cabins plus 32 Suites (which become Sky Suites in April)

• Equinox has capacity of 2850 passengers and MDR seats 1420; BLU seats 130 per seating for 130 AQ cabins

So Reflection does have 180 more passengers capacity, which are accommodated 80 in extra MDR seating, 44 in BLU, and balance of 56 elsewhere in Specialties and Buffet.

Reflection is the anomaly in the fleet as far as S class goes, I think they added cabins partially due to being able to accommodate guests in specialties thus not needing all the MDR capacity as people got into using specialties. They are using their resources in a more efficient manner.

Correction...additional cabins were part of the original build.

You sure are a stickler for details! [emoji6]

One thing I really used to enjoy at the end of the cruise was the parade of chefs, the clapping, the napkin waving, the dancing with the waiters and a general good feeling for the end of a great cruise.

Last year, we noticed there was nothing going on in the MDR. We had new virgin cruisers with us and I know they would have loved this and given it a special ending to their holiday. So why did they stop this, surely not from listening to a few moaners? After all from the noise everyone used to make and the way everyone joined in, it seems the majority loved it.

It certainly was alive & well on the Eclipse at the end of our last dinner on Jan.31. It was quite an affair. Not sure why it wasn't done on your ship.

Think about it...a passenger sneezes into their napkin, or blows their nose into their napkin (IMHO bad manners), and then proceeds to wave their napkin around...over and over again. It probably does spread some germs into the air.

It may be a cruising tradition, but it was time to retire that custom.

Retire the increasingly common custom of blowing one's nose in a napkin. What a disgusting thing to do. I feel especially sorry for the waiters when bussing the table.

Edited by BosoxI

I loved it and thought the napkin waving was fun and I'm not ashamed to admit it! :eek:

The tradition is alive and well on Carnival and on the last night the waiters and chefs line the stairs and balcony and sing the sad, sad, sad, "good bye" song - we no longer sail with them but I'd always get a tear in my eye.

They still do it on Cunard, but with less napkin waving.

We had new virgin cruisers with us and I know they would have loved this and given it a special ending to their holiday.

You do not KNOW that they would have loved this or that it would have been a special ending to their cruise. You assume because you enjoy it they would have too.

Put me in the category of not going to miss it one bit. I saw it on my first cruise and thought it was one of the absolute silliest thing I had ever seen. So did my virgin cruise friends that I dined with every night. So much so that on our next cruise we opted to skip all the formal nights and go to specialty dining.

I thought I was the only one that despised this "tradition". I actually thought about the correct word to express my disdain for this and despised is exactly how I have always felt about it.

I just came off a cruise 2 days ago and tried my best to just ignore the loud music out of speakers full of static. The horrible singing and dancing and the general disruption of my meal. In what upscale restaurant is this performed? None that I frequent. I have watched the service staff closely and feel so bad for them. I always felt that they are forced to sing and dance when they are trained in providing superior service.

I am very pleased that I will not have to endure this again when we go on our Alaskan cruise in May. Way to go Celebrity!