Why isn't there a 'Florida Coastal Cruise'?

ashoor

As stated a US flagged cruise ship could do it without a foreign stop .

However that ship would have to be built in the US and adhere to US labor

laws .

Viking River cruises just announced they are cruising the Mississippi with new

ships to be built in the US ( perhaps boats , not ships). They won't be cheap.

great detail gobbildy gook

the cruise cost twice as much using an all US crew?

Yes or no?

Considering all US flag requirements: crew wages, compensation insurance, USCG inspections/equipment/training, ADA compliance, then yes, twice as much.

The reason that NCL lost two of their US flag ships in Hawaii was that the competition saw the cabin prices that NCL had to charge to cover expenses, and the foreign flag ships knew that even with increased fuel consumption (several sea days to/from the West Coast, vs. none for NCL), they could undercut NCL's prices. There was a 500% increase in foreign flag capacity in the Hawaii market over a 18 month period, which drove NCL to deeply discount the cabins, and ended up losing them $178 million in the last year they had 3 ships there. But if you look at the Princess and HAL West Coast to Hawaii cruises, which are 12-14 days, they compare favorably with the POA 7 day cruise.

So taking my example further, if you had a US flag ship doing the same itinerary as the HAL ship from the West Coast, it would cost more than twice as much, since the fuel cost would be equal between them.

Absolute NO for me.

California is one of the top ten largest economies in the world with geographic diversity to match (e.g., ski in the morning and surf that night - if one was really crazy enough to try it). At, or within reach of, ports are various beaches (where the sun sets over the ocean as it should), deep sea fishing, theme parks (originals like the real Disneyland), year-round low humidity and a better than Mediterranean climate. Then there's redwood forests, the missions and other historical sites, Hollywood, wine country (make that wine countries- north and central) and, of course, America's favorite city - San Francisco (49 sq mi surrounded by reality :-). The list goes on.

Florida has beaches too, though summers there are brutal. And there are some interesting historical sites and decent restaurants, as well as the"other" theme parks. But, the geography is pretty nondescript and, other than the rich immigrant culture offerings in places like Miami, without much worldliness. At the risk of getting flamed, they don't call it Swamplandia for nothing.

Not they, YOU call it that. Native Floridian here and I would never live anywhere else again. Been to California, it was nice but they don't call it "the land of fruits and nuts" for nothing. :rolleyes: besides, it was a beautiful 82 here today and I don't have to worry about mudslides, earthquakes, or the measles. :cool:

great detail gobbildy gook

the cruise cost twice as much using an all US crew?

Yes or no?

google NCL pride of America. all US crew, US flagged. sails only the Hawaiian Islands

there is only one such ship for a reason

Besides all the legal reasons mentioned, an industry insider claims that coastal cruisers tend to be very frugal.

On the Mexican Riveara cruises the on board spending is about $10 less per person. Multiply that by the number of passengers and the number of days in the year and that amounts to millions of dollars in less revenue. Given that Florida has a high proportion of fixed income retirees the spending would be even lower. (Small, luxury ships are a different matter compared to mass market cruise lines.)

The cruise industry is therefore very happy with the PVSA just the way it is. They have a built in excuse not to sail an itinerary that is unprofitable.

American Classic Voyages built 2 US flagged coastal ships in 2001. They each held about 250 passengers. (MV Cape May Light, and MV Cape Code Light.)

After 9/11 the company went bankrupt,and the ships were hardly used at all.

They would have been perfect for the proposed itinerary from the OP. Presumably, no one could make the numbers work.

Now a company(FleetPro) has them available for charter (but now under Bahamas' flag.)

Aloha,

John

Forget PVSA and any other reasons cited here. Floridians are who fill cruise ships, and none of us would book a Florida coastal cruise. A one time cruise with a foreign port, maybe. But a set, repeating itinerary? No. There's no way it could be sustained.

Not they, YOU call it that. Native Floridian here and I would never live anywhere else again. Been to California, it was nice but they don't call it "the land of fruits and nuts" for nothing. :rolleyes: besides, it was a beautiful 82 here today and I don't have to worry about mudslides, earthquakes, or the measles. :cool:

But you have hurricanes, huge bugs, lizards and snakes, and months where it feels like you're living in a sauna. Every state has pluses and minuses. As for the ports the OP mentions, there wouldn't be any interest other than a very tiny number of passengers.

You don't think we have "fruits and nuts" in Florida? Come spend 1 night in Miami and you'll see how retarded some Floridians are.

But you're right. California is the laughing stock of this country, and that says a lot considering we have a state called New Jersey. ;)

You don't think we have "fruits and nuts" in Florida? Come spend 1 night in Miami and you'll see how retarded some Floridians are.

But you're right. California is the laughing stock of this country, and that says a lot considering we have a state called New Jersey. ;)

Actually, it is my understanding that the NJ legislature is contemplating changing the name of the state to "New Improved Jersey."

Surely, every state and city/town has something that endears it's residents enough to keep them there (at least until they can afford to move to California). But, that doesn't always translate to drawing cruisers or other tourists.

As for California's perceived quirkiness, don't fix what ain't broke. Even with the occasional threat of various natural disasters, our property values speak to the desirability of the weather, employment and lifestyle opportunities here.

As for industry (including hospitality), please be reminded that California is one of the largest economies in the world with enough geographic, cultural and other diverse attractions to please pretty much any tourist/cruiser.

So, relax, sit back and watch a Hollywood blockbuster movie while enjoying some North Coast Pinot Noir and then get to work planning that Coastal California cruise.

No place is perfect....

I don't have to worry about mudslides, Florida sinkholes, earthquakes, Florida hurricanes or the measles, Florida dengue fever and Chikungunya virus.

and then there is the rest of the US with subzero winters, tornadoes, floods and other notable calamities. :D

Living in Florida and loving it, however even if done legally (say a Bahamas stop) that would be perhaps the most unattractive cruise I could think of. The only things going for it are Port Canaveral (Disney World, space center) and Miami (South Beach). Also, Winter is not beach season here, and many "attractions" can be far from the port. Frankly, if it were viable someone would be doing it, but it is not.

Pfftt....I grew up in Miami, I'm well aware of our crazies :rolleyes: Thing is though...a lot of our "fruits and nuts" are from somewhere else.

Indeed, Key West is a good stop, was just there last Saturday on our plane. Otherwise, a Florida coastal cruise is a non-starter. We also have a port at west Palm, and the ship that sails from it goes to Freeport!

Indeed, Key West is a good stop, was just there last Saturday on our plane. Otherwise, a Florida coastal cruise is a non-starter. We also have a port at west Palm, and the ship that sails from it goes to Freeport!

True I forgot about the Celebration. Are they still operating after that accident?

There is a cruise called 'California Coastal' , where you visit different California cities and sometimes make it either south to Mexico or north to Vancouver, and then back to your original port.

I am surprised there is no such thing with Florida, or at least I am not aware of it? The state has at least 5 ports, all in a geographical sequence. So it would make it easy to cruise between the state.

Look at this image: You can start in Jacksonville, stop in Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and end up in Tampa, then come back. Or even in the other order where you start in Tampa.

florida-cruise-ports-map.jpg

One obstacle could be that once you make the trip, you will have to go south again, circumvent the whole state and make your way up, but that would be 1 or 2 sea days.

You could even do the Florida trip, and then once you get to Tampa, you can go south to the Bahamas for one day, and then from there make your way back up to Jacksonville.

Would this interest anyone?

Something like this would interest me if it were round trip from the same port. I would add this.

Tampa --

Bush Gardens

http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-tampa/

For Jacksonville you could also go to St .Augustine

http://www.oldcity.com/attractions.php

Port Canaveral

The Space center or Orlando to name a few.

For Fort Lauderdale or Miami I would only do one as a port of call, since they are close.

I would add Key West. That is a fun place. And if they wanted to Charleston Ga. Of course a stop at the Bahamas

I would do this cruise because it beats driving around Florida and paying for hotels and food on land.

Edited by geocruiser

Something to think about

River Cruises in EU are popular ... I'm taking one this summer .....they are one way so let's eliminate that factor ...

What is different .. and similar ... 'tween a river cruise from say Budapest to Amsterdam versus a coastal cruise from Jax, to Tampa stopping at

Jax

Port Canaveral

Miami

Key West

Tampa

On a small US flag vessel, would YOU book this cruise?

Edited by Capt_BJ

something to think about

river cruises in eu are popular ... I'm taking one this summer .....they are one way so let's eliminate that factor ...

What is different .. And similar ... 'tween a river cruise from say budapest to amsterdam versus a coastal cruise from jax, to tampa stopping at

jax

port canaveral

miami

key west

tampa

on a small us flag vessel, would you book this cruise?

nope.

Gonna link a different thread here, because I know folks like chengkp75 typically read these threads, but I rarely see them on the Celebrity Board. I have garnered a lot of knowledge about the PVSA from certain such folks, and have a question about the attached thread…Why would what is being offered in Posts #3, and 4…make these voyages OK…to my thinking the ship (Solstice) is still transporting the passenger from 1 US Port to a different US Port, on a continuous voyage, without the distant foreign port requirement, even if the poster gets off a day early and makes his own way to the next embarkation port…and Posts 34 and 35, I think are completely erroneous ??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2177353

Thanks…if you knowledgeable folks see this and can comment.

BBL

Gonna link a different thread here, because I know folks like chengkp75 typically read these threads, but I rarely see them on the Celebrity Board. I have garnered a lot of knowledge about the PVSA from certain such folks, and have a question about the attached thread…Why would what is being offered in Posts #3, and 4…make these voyages OK…to my thinking the ship (Solstice) is still transporting the passenger from 1 US Port to a different US Port, on a continuous voyage, without the distant foreign port requirement, even if the poster gets off a day early and makes his own way to the next embarkation port…and Posts 34 and 35, I think are completely erroneous ??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2177353

Thanks…if you knowledgeable folks see this and can comment.

BBL

This deserves discussion, but I suggest you start a new thread about it.