Good time to go to Europe

hypercafe

If you can't go at least it's a good time to stock up on Euros :)

I hope to do just that in Barcelona soon (let's hope it last for 3 weeks or gets even better).

I was thinking the same thing. It's too bad we have to pay all that VAT in Spain though.

We are going over to Spain a little more than a week before our cruise/tour begins this summer. A couple of the hotels, I'm staying in have emailed me and offered price "deals", if I pay now in advance. If the dollar advances no farther and doesn't decline, the only one getting a deal out of their offer would be the hotels. The drop of the EU has blown by their offers!

I was thinking the same thing. It's too bad we have to pay all that VAT in Spain though.

Not if you get your Euros from an ATM. I don't think there will be VATs if you disembark in Barcelona - only on the next cruise starting in Barcelona.

At least that is what I think.

Not if you get your Euros from an ATM. I don't think there will be VATs if you disembark in Barcelona - only on the next cruise starting in Barcelona.

At least that is what I think.

No I was talking about the VAt on goods and services. I am from a state that has No sales or Income tax so any tax to me is too much:)

Paul,

I'll be in Europe in three weeks as well after a Seabourn crossing and plan to stock up on euros too. The euro was at $1.07.4 today and the slide seems to be continuing. Have a great trip wherever you go.

If you can't go at least it's a good time to stock up on Euros :)

I hope to do just that in Barcelona soon (let's hope it last for 3 weeks or gets even better).

I bought a tour this morning for an upcoming trip to Lisbon and a € was less than $1.10 US.

There is something my husband wants on board. I am hoping that the shop will hold it and ring it up when we are in Marsielle or Croatia. I am hoping the ship takes the VAT off when they are not in those two ports, Italy and Spain.

Paul,

I'll be in Europe in three weeks as well after a Seabourn crossing and plan to stock up on euros too. The euro was at $1.07.4 today and the slide seems to be continuing. Have a great trip wherever you go.

wripro,

Thank you - happy trails and safe travels to you as well.

Here is hoping for a $ being stronger than Euro (as it was when Euro was first introduced in 2002 - $0.80=1 Euro)

Paul

There is something my husband wants on board. I am hoping that the shop will hold it and ring it up when we are in Marsielle or Croatia. I am hoping the ship takes the VAT off when they are not in those two ports, Italy and Spain.

I remember a very lengthy discussion about VAT & Spain and IIRC, unfortunately it was much more complicated than you imply.

See if you can do a search on that.

A high USD hurts the US Economy. It also means that higher interest rates are a coming.

It also hurts European cruisers who want to cruise. And more personal note a high USD hurts me as my bonus is based on Euro. It is all a balance.

I remember a very lengthy discussion about VAT & Spain and IIRC, unfortunately it was much more complicated than you imply.

See if you can do a search on that.

You are correct Paul, if the cruise begins in a Spanish port then the Vat remains in effect until the ship lands in a free port like Monte Carlo or docks outside the EU.

wripro,

Thank you - happy trails and safe travels to you as well.

Here is hoping for a $ being stronger than Euro (as it was when Euro was first introduced in 2002 - $0.80=1 Euro)

Paul

We did two road trips to France in 2002. The first trip, in May, as I recall the euro was worth $.90. By the second trip in November they were at par ...

And then things changed!

I'd book a trip to Europe right now if only we weren't taking a South/Central America cruise next month ...

Mura

I was thinking we could get them in Funchal and then I saw your post re sales tax!! Lucky you with no state and/or sales tax...we have both in CA and they are HIGH!! :( LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

These ports would not work for you as they are both members of EU (see post by S&J above).

Do you stop in Monte Carlo or outside of EU?

We do stop in Monte Carlo. Do you think they won't charge VAT at that port? This is a B2B and we go there twice.

See S&J's post #15 above. It would seem that because MC is a duty free port, they would not charge VAT.

Please check it out and maybe report back here for others to know in the future.

Paul,

If the EURO is sliding then this is no time to buy EUR. Since it may well slide further and be even more attractive. Furthermore the USD is forecast to keep rising making purchase of EUR now even a worse idea...

This is something we (husband and I) watch very closely. He is a retired banker and I dealt with FOREX all my working life, plus we live in Switzerland but we worked in the US so have US-based pensions etc. Yesterday (10 March) the USD was at parity with the CHF. Forecast is for it to be 1.05 and perhaps more in a month or so. Which is great news since last year it was around .80 to the CHF. As for the EUR it really depends on whether Draghi and the ECB can enforce some discipline in the currency as to whether it will be able to hold where it is or slide some more. I think our (Swiss) National Bank believes it will slide some. Anyway don't buy it now... it may well be a better deal in a couple of weeks, or months. And if you buy a lot of EUR and then it tanks completely - ouch!

Hi all

we too have an excellent exchange rate for the €uro/STG .I have been and bought some "readies" very useful for shore excursions and street traders.

With regards to VAT is every one really expecting to spend so much that the tax will make such a difference?

I have a credit card that does not make a charge for overseas transactions and they use quite acceptable exchange rates when converting to STG (hop on hop off buses accept them) In addition if I am paying for hotels in Europe (before we travel) I usually use paypal.

Also if you have any left the front desk will take them off your ship board account ( a ropy exchange rate!)

regards,

Josie

DOJO466, Where? I'm in New London surprise surprise:D

Never dawned on me you were from NH. I was thinking CT. We are in Strafford (Bow Lake area) near Northwood. Thinking Spring after this crappy winter.