On Jewel now. MDR menu has changed - no shrimp cocktail

Shrimp cocktail was pulled from the menu this cruise. I asked the waiter and he said this was new, but would bring me a cocktail after he checked with the head waiter. The waiter believes this comes from the head office.

Shrimp was also pulled of the lobster dinner plate. The portions were smaller overall (prime rib, tenderloin), so you may need to order multiple entrees or appetizers. I did get two fried shrimp with my fish dinner from the pomodoro menu.

Interesting. Any one else seeing this?

The shrimp that came with our last "lobster tail" were, indeed, shrimpy....so small and so tough.

Shrimp is so incredibly easy to make (as well as the cocktail sauce), I really don't see why folks are so into it, when eating out!

The shrimp that came with our last "lobster tail" were, indeed, shrimpy....so small and so tough.

Shrimp is so incredibly easy to make (as well as the cocktail sauce), I really don't see why folks are so into it, when eating out!

How do you make SHRIMP???:eek:

Do they sell packet mix at Walmart, just add water:rolleyes:

Why you don't see why folk like to eat Shrimp when they eat out, really does not matter, in relation to there is a shrimp shortage

Happy Days!

We were on the Vision 2/7/15 and there was not any shrimp cocktail on the menu until the third night I think. When I asked about it, was told I could get it if I really wanted it. Also, the first nights menu had no formal name and no prime rib as was the case in past cruisers on this ship. Seems like Royal is quick to tell us about changes to the menus that they believe are good, but not when changes like this happen. And as someone has mentioned, no shrimp with the lobster on the second formal night, not that I miss it since I usually ate only the lobster.

Does anyone remember when there was a shortage of escargot?

Some spoke out saying that by deleting escargot from the menu, Royal Caribbean would be able to pay for the new ships from the savings!;)

Now, escargot is back on the menu. I believe that the same thing will happen with the shrimp.:)

Rick

Shrimp cocktail was pulled from the menu this cruise. I asked the waiter and he said this was new, but would bring me a cocktail after he checked with the head waiter. The waiter believes this comes from the head office.

Shrimp was also pulled of the lobster dinner plate. The portions were smaller overall (prime rib, tenderloin), so you may need to order multiple entrees or appetizers. I did get two fried shrimp with my fish dinner from the pomodoro menu.

Interesting. Any one else seeing this?

Since no one on cc will be boarding your ship why would we care unless you have info that this is for all future sailings, all ships. So why don't you ask since you are on the ship and get back to us

Edited by setsail

Hmmmm, will be on Serenade in a few weeks so will be interesting to see if the menus changed. (I think I'll print a press packet of the menus and order off that each night, lol) Since I live on the gulf coast, not having shrimp onboard isn't a big deal for me but I know it is for others. You know it is crawfish season now, so maybe they will replace the shrimp cocktails with a plate full of mudbugs! YUM! (Seriously!) Doubtful though--no elegant way to eat crawfish, plus they are scarce this year and last check costly at $150.00 for a sack. Just bring back the scallop risotto and I'll be happy!

Since no one on cc will be boarding your ship why would we care unless you have info that this is for all future sailings, all ships. So why don't you ask since you are on the ship and get back to us

I'm not sure I understand your comment. 2000 new guests are coming on jewel as I write this. I imagine a few more (10s of thousands) are getting on other RC ships today. Many are on Cruise Critic. This is something I found that was news to me and everyone I spoke to at the c&a events.

From the feedback here this may be a new issue here that some may want to be aware of. My waiter stated that this could change again anytime. Why don't you call corporate and find out and get back with me?

Thanks for your help

How do you make SHRIMP???:eek:

Do they sell packet mix at Walmart, just add water:rolleyes:

Why you don't see why folk like to eat Shrimp when they eat out, really does not matter, in relation to there is a shrimp shortage

Happy Days!

Nice one.

Beat me to it.

Why don't they replace Portofino with Bubba Gumps. He always has loads

Ok, call me crazy but yes this does impact the perceived "value" and enjoyment of my families cruise. I do not make fish often, so my teen son looks forward to shrimp almost every night on our cruises. This is one thing HE finds special and I have heard him mentioning it to friends. (Side note- have you ever taken notice of HOW MUCH a teen boy can eat?!) So to hear that there maybe no shrimp cocktail, yes, it makes it harder to accept the general price increase of our cruise. :(

Edited by BLAMBKY

We were on Enchantment last week and had the Shrimp Cocktail on the MDR menu for dinner.

I honestly don't see the big deal about the MDR shrimp ... its just 4 or 5 of those small slimy little shrimp laying in a puddle of water on some limp lettuce ... nothing special.

Now ... the Shrimp Cocktail in CHOPS, on the other hand ... OMG !! Amazing stuff !!

Wow, it will be disappointing to not have shrimp on my upcoming cruises. I have shrimp cocktail as an appetizer almost every night. :(

Karen, shrimp may be in abundance on your sailing so keep hoping for the best. As someone mentioned, a while back there was an absence of escargot and I remember a time when limes were not available. Obtaining either item does not seem to be a problem right now.

I had lunch one day with a procurement officer on one of the ships and found it quite interesting. RCL has to have several sources for practically everything they need on the ships. From catsup to toilet paper. If their usual source can't provide the product they contact the secondary or tertiary providers. Nevertheless there are times when an item is just in short supply and can't be gotten in the quantities or the quality needed. Hopefully shrimp will soon make a comeback. I seriously doubt RCL is permanently dropping shrimp from its menu.

Edited by Don Pedro

We board the Serenade on Saturday for a B2B. If there is no shrimp cocktail it will be an unpleasant surprise for DH. Will it "ruin" the cruise? No way!

But, when I go to book another cruise DH will mention it. :rolleyes: Higher prices and no shrimp cocktail. . . . sorry if you all think that is petty.

On Freedom last week (3/1/15) shrimp cocktail was only served every other night and was no longer listed on the menu. I prefer shrimp to most any other appetizer on the menus-maybe easy to cook for some to cook at home, but home is the ship I'm on.:D

Karen, shrimp may be in abundance on your sailing so keep hoping for the best. As someone mentioned, a while back there was an absence of escargot and I remember a time when limes were not available. Obtaining either item does not seem to be a problem right now.

I had lunch one day with a procurement officer on one of the ships and found it quite interesting. RCL has to have several sources for practically everything they need on the ships. From catsup to toilet paper. If their usual source can't provide the product they contact the secondary or tertiary providers. Nevertheless there are times when an item is just in short supply and can't be gotten in the quantities or the quality needed. Hopefully shrimp will soon make a comeback. I seriously doubt RCL is permanently dropping shrimp from its menu.

A rational answer is nice to see rather than in a panic about not getting their money's worth for the cost of the cruise because there is no sheimp cocktail!!