Viking Longboats Standard Cabins - drawbacks?

hurwitz5

We are considering a standard cabin on a Viking longboat. I noticed in the brochure

that these cabins have a small window and

appear to be partially under the water line

of the ship. Is there an issue with dampness

or claustrophobia? Is the ceiling on these cabins

a similar height to veranda cabins which are on upper decks? What are

the drawbacks to the standard cabin? We have

sailed on over 30 cruises on "regular" cruise

lines (Celebrity, Princess, etc.) and are not bothered

by inside cabins.

Thanks.

We had an aquarium cabin as they are called on a Danube trip on the Viking Tor. The size compared to Celebrity is small but very efficient, and we had no problem with the size or storage of our belongings. The high window you describe is almost at water level, and is at eye level, so you are sleeping below water level. We had no issues with dampness at all, and the floor in the bathroom is heated. The only thing that I would say is a drawback for some passengers, is that you can hear turbulence from passing ships while you are sleeping. Imagine sticking your head in a bowl of water and swishing the water around. I would describe it like hearing bubbles. I sleep with white noise at all times, so for me it was refreshing, but if you need quiet, you will most likely have a problem with it.

Ceiling height I believe is similar to all the other decks. You also need to realize that for almost all sailing on the river, it is done at night, so for the half day you will be sailing during the day, you can use the sun deck for a view. Also, and this is a big deal, when you are moored at the various stops along the river, many times you are moored along another river vessel, as in the river bank is on one side of you, and the other ship is on the other side of you. So how would you like to pay for a balcony, open your curtain and someone in their undies is looking at you from a foot away.

We have never used a balcony on a river cruise, but we always use balconies on ocean vessels, and we were completely pleased with our choice on the Tor. If you have used insides on ocean vessels, and are not light sleepers, you will have no issues at all with the aquarium cabins. Save the money for the upgrade and put it to your optional excursions.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for your prompt reply. We sleep with the TV on wherever we are - home, cruise ship or hotel. Are there TV's in the cabin that will play music, TV shows, etc.? As long as there is a playing TV, that is the white noise that my husband and I need for sleep.

We have been on three Viking River cruises and stayed in French Balcony, Veranda and Standard.

Our next two cruises we've booked the Standard. It's fitted out to the same standard as the others, and we were not disturbed by any noise from water or engines

We couldn't see the advantage in paying extra because the cabin size in Standard is the same or bigger then French Balcony. The Vernada is bigger but that is, I think because they include the balcony in the dimensions.

On our first trip we had a French Balcony, not realising there's no balcony and we made friends with a lot of people but one couple had a standard room and they showed us their room and we showed them ours and when we saw their we looked at each other and wondered why we'd bother paying more. And we'd already booked our next trip with a Veranda....

If money is no object, get a Veranda or Suite, otherwise ... And if your booking at the last moment you might get a Veranda for less than a Standard.

Why? We had visions of sitting by our French Balcony -- which is just a sliding floor to ceiling window and on our Veranda but in fact did very little of either as - apart from sleeping -- we spent very little time in our rooms, such is the amount of trips and on board events.

If you sit on your Veranda or window you see only one side of the river. If its warm enough to sit on your veranda, its warm enough to sit on the top deck or at the prow of the boat viewing the coming river and both banks.

Depending on which river, you may have another boat moored alongside yours thus your only view is of the other boat.

The floor plans and sizes of the rooms on each bote are on the Viking web-site.

Only drawback may be that the restaurant is on the middle deck, so you have to go upstairs to eat, but on the upper deck you have to go down -- if you're unsteady on your feet you can use the lift, but there's quite a lot using it at meal times.

Only drawback may be that the restaurant is on the middle deck, so you have to go upstairs to eat, but on the upper deck you have to go down -- if you're unsteady on your feet you can use the lift, but there's quite a lot of people using it at meal times.

Update -- I just checked the longship we're on and the lift only serves the middle and upper deck, not the lower (or 'main') deck.

Yes, that is correct. The lifts on longships, and I would assume most river boats if equipped, have to have the lift mechanism on the bottom floor of the ship, as there is no room to house it on the top because of the low bridges in Europe. If you need the services of the lift, you will not be able to book a cabin on the main deck.

Pontac has given a good summary. My last cruise was in a French balcony room on a long ship, and I found it very small. Standard rooms are 150 sq. ft., and the French balcony rooms are only 135 sq.ft. Getting around in the room was always a problem with almost no space beside the bed or between the bed and the desk counter.

We did our sightseeing from the lounge or the top deck, and as others have mentioned, a lot of the time when you're docked, the ship is rafted, so there's a good chance that your only view will be a cabin in the neighboring ship.

FuelScience

We couldn't see the advantage in paying extra because the cabin size in Standard is the same or bigger then French Balcony....

On our first trip we had a French Balcony, not realising there's no balcony and we made friends with a lot of people but one couple had a standard room and they showed us their room and we showed them ours and when we saw their we looked at each other and wondered why we'd bother paying more...

Depending on which river, you may have another boat moored alongside yours thus your only view is of the other boat.

The above post is very accurate. We struggled with the choice of French Balcony (i.e. NO balcony) vs. standard. We had no problems whatsoever with the water level cabin. The shelf at the window was very useful for storage. Considering the huge price difference, and the fact we all ate and experienced the same things, it was not worth it for us. Standard all the way for us!

• Like 1

We book Aquarium class by choice - we booked a French balcony on our 2nd river cruise, and decided it isn't worth the extra money for us.

We enjoy the "white noise" of the water splashing against the hull when we are moving. And, we really like - and use - the wide window sill, as we can hand wash some items - and lay them out to dry there.

There are also 2 curtains (a sheer and a thicker curtain....) - if you like your curtains open, but are not sure if you will be rafted against another boat - you can leave the sheer curtain shut - which provides you a bit of privacy while leaving your curtains open. But, it is hard to see into the room from the outside so it is fairly easy to maintain your privacy - even with the curtains open.

Although there is no elevator to the lowest deck, we have found that the stairway to the lowest level on the Viking Longships is probably the best we have encountered on any line (we have traveled with Uniworld, AMA, Avalon & Scenic as well as Viking....)

There is a TV - and you can leave it on all-night for white noise.

Enjoy!!

Fran

• Like 1

If we are on an ocean cruise we always have a balcony but on a river cruise get the cheapest on the ship, you are literally never in your cabin.

We have just booked the Elbe with Viking for 2016, we were dismayed to find the new longboats on the Elbe are for the American market only and us Brits are on the older ships, we queried this with Viking and were offered the opportunity to sail on one but the price was £1000 pp so we are booked on the older ship

Sue

new longboats on the Elbe are for the American market only and us Brits are on the older ships, we queried this with Viking and were offered the opportunity to sail on one but the price was £1000 pp so we are booked on the older ship

Sue, too late this time, but if you're willing to book at a couple of months notice, Viking release unsold American cruises 2-3 months before sail date at a large discount.

We've been on one, and although going on a cruise next week we just booked a heavily discounted American departure for July.

Americans expect -- and get excellent service*, and are not backwards in making strong complains when not happy -- so everything goes tikkety-boo.

*and in return they tip heavily everything that moves

Can any of you experienced cruisers help me understand the difference between Category E and F of the aquarium staterooms? There is a hundred dollar per person cost difference but I can't find that there is any difference between them other than the Es are a little further forward.

For the OP who was asking about the ceiling height, I am 6'-7" so was (am) somewhat worried....according to the response I recieved from Viking, all stateroom ceilings are 6'-10":eek:

Edit to add the answer to my own question! Found this elsewhere on the innerwebs:

What Specific Staterooms to Avoid on a Viking River Cruises Longship

If you’ve done any cruising at all, you’ve likely learned that every ship has a few staterooms to avoid, if possible. In most cases, it’s not that the stateroom is any better or worse than its counterparts, but more likely has to do with its position on the ship.

In the case of the Viking River Cruises Longships, if you can, avoid staterooms 338, 339, 222, 216, and 122. These particular staterooms are adjacent to the atriums and tend to be noisy as folks are congregating, having fun, and moving up and down the stairs.

Further, a secret mole, who swore me to secrecy, told me that the reason the category (F) rooms exist is that they tend to get a little engine vibration/noise, that the category (E) staterooms don’t tend to get as much.

Edited by Clay Clayton

Something not quite right with the room numbers - the lowest numbers are most near the front, and thus the atrium and main staircases.

The numbers shown seem to be those next to rear staircase' a much smaller access stairway.

The most expensive suites 'Explorer Suites' at the top rear surround the funnel and at right above the engine room :)

I agree with the previous comments but would add a note from the perspective of a person 5'1". We've been on the Forseti and Alsvin (both new longships) and the Prestige (an older boat for Prague-Paris). The Prestige and Forseti were the bottom deck and Alsvin a French balcony. The "balcony" is a sliding door but functionally just a floor-to-ceiling window that opens. The old Prestige was the largest of the three rooms with space for two chairs between the bed and outer wall. The new longship main deck cabins don't have this space, but they have a deep ledge in front of the window that's useful for drying washables. A drawback compared to the old Prestige is that they are a little higher, so--at 5'1"-- I could see out the window standing on tiptoes. On the newer ship I had to pull out and stand up on the vanity stool to see out the window.

I love the sound of the water on the hull. You're on a river, not in a hotel!

Have fun and embrace the whole experience!

...so--at 5'1"-- I could see out the window standing on tiptoes. On the newer ship I had to pull out and stand up on the vanity stool to see out the window.

Dang. We just booked a standard and I am almost 5'1". I wonder how likely it is that we will be able to upgrade at a later date or even at arrival (like if someone cancels?). I don't think there were better rooms available when we booked, but our TA also knew we were trying to stay on a tighter initial budget with such an early pay-off date, so maybe there were.

Dang. We just booked a standard and I am almost 5'1". I wonder how likely it is that we will be able to upgrade at a later date or even at arrival (like if someone cancels?). I don't think there were better rooms available when we booked, but our TA also knew we were trying to stay on a tighter initial budget with such an early pay-off date, so maybe there were.

I am 5'6" - and can just see out the window in Aquarium class. That doesn't bother me, as we don't spend much time in our cabin when we are on a river cruise.

Just as an fyi - if cabin space is important, the cabins with French Balconies are smaller that those on the lower level - as Viking shifted the centre hallway to allow room for the cabins with full balconies.

You may be able to upgrade at a later time - but I would suggest deciding how important having the balcony (French or "real") is to you - as the cost difference can be quite significant. There are some who won't travel without a balcony - and others (DH and I included) who always book lowest category....

Whatever you decide - enjoy!!

Fran

Edited by franski

There is a TV - and you can leave it on all-night for white noise.

Just as an fyi - if cabin space is important, the cabins with French Balconies are smaller that those on the lower level - as Viking shifted the centre hallway to allow room for the cabins with full balconies.

Fran

Gee, I hope the sound-proofing between cabins is good--I would be absolutely sleepless if I had to listen to someone else's TV all night!

Fran, are you confusing full balconies with French? Surely the latter doesn't take any space from the cabin itself?

We have just booked the Elbe with Viking for 2016, we were dismayed to find the new longboats on the Elbe are for the American market only and us Brits are on the older ships, we queried this with Viking and were offered the opportunity to sail on one but the price was £1000 pp so we are booked on the older ship

Sue

This is another example if Viking's odd business model--why would they do this? Outrageous.

Fran, are you confusing full balconies with French? Surely the latter doesn't take any space from the cabin itself?

The French balcony doesn't take any space per se, but Viking shifted the hallway from the center of the ship toward the French balcony side to make more room for the real balcony cabins -- thus the French balcony cabins on longships are smaller than the others (including Aquarium class). Not a better idea, IMHO.

• 7 years later...
On 3/16/2015 at 5:01 PM, FuelScience said:

Pontac has given a good summary. My last cruise was in a French balcony room on a long ship, and I found it very small. Standard rooms are 150 sq. ft., and the French balcony rooms are only 135 sq.ft. Getting around in the room was always a problem with almost no space beside the bed or between the bed and the desk counter.

We did our sightseeing from the lounge or the top deck, and as others have mentioned, a lot of the time when you're docked, the ship is rafted, so there's a good chance that your only view will be a cabin in the neighboring ship.

FuelScience

Hi there

Is there a better side on a longboat?

Thanks

46 minutes ago, travelnn said:

Hi there

Is there a better side on a longboat?

Thanks

On a longboat the aisle is offset. The smaller French balcony rooms are on one side, and the larger balcony rooms are on the other. So the choice of cabin determines the side of the ship (except for the aquarium class cabins where there is very little view on either side).

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

On a longboat the aisle is offset. The smaller French balcony rooms are on one side, and the larger balcony rooms are on the other. So the choice of cabin determines the side of the ship (except for the aquarium class cabins where there is very little view on either side).

Thanks! Do you know if they have handicapped accessible cabins?

3 hours ago, travelnn said:

Thanks! Do you know if they have handicapped accessible cabins?

To my knowledge there are no accessible cabins/suites on the Viking Longships. Of the 4 decks only the “middle” and “upper”decks are connected with a small lift. The “main” (lowest) and “sun” (highest/outdoor) decks are not connected by the lift. The Dining room, Lounge, Aquavit terrace, guest services and all boarding / disembarking are located on the middle and upper decks. I do not believe they accept passengers who require the use of wheelchairs, scooters or rollators/walkers. 

Very interesting reading - first I thought Viking had all these especial dedicated mooring points so didn’t have to breast up with other vessels. As I’ve only ever sailed with Scenic I’ve rarely experienced breasting up and then only for a short time as in one of the inside vessels was awaiting a late passenger so on our excursion return they were gone. Another time, lovely day relaxing on the balcony shared a glass of red with our neighbours we still keep in touch sparodicaly across the pond. It’s not all bad I suspect the time of year when it’s busier. Just enjoy and don’t worry.

Better side in terms of starboard/port, the answer is no.  You are really only in your cabin for sleeping or changing clothing.  Most sailing is done while you sleep--for any daytime scenic sailing, such as Middle Rhine or Wachau valley, you want to be either on the topmost deck outside, or in the lounge with its floor-to-ceiling windows.  While docked, it's very possible you'll be rafted, tied to another boat, such that if you look out your window you will be inches from another ship's windows!

Since there really aren't any sea days, sitting by the window/verandah watching the world go by doesn't happen.  We spent our sailing afternoon on the Rhine (after Kinderdijk, heading upstream) in the lounge where we could actually see the world go by--if there was something interesting on the other side of the ship, we could see it.

• Like 1