Next cruise program changing again!!

True, except since there's only one OBC/cabin or booking, do you get the other passenger's deposit back, or do they keep it?

"Select your ship and sail date at the time of booking. A $50 to $500 non-refundable deposit per person is required to partake in the Next Cruise program when booking 5+ night voyages."

I am assuming that you get that amount as an instant obc and then you lose that amount if you cancel. Or parts of it, if you make changes to your booking.

If you make any changes to the "future obc" booking, it reverts to the 'open booking model' obc, which is less.

Edited by marci22

I would be careful about cancelling any booking you have made onboard prior to these changes.

As I said, the D+ rep insisted I should lose all of my deposits (5 x $100). I explained that it was a specific booking rather than a next cruise (nonrefundable deposit) and he still put me on hold to check.

I am anxious to see what is eventually credited back to my cc as I was paid in full (but before final payment due).

Edited by marci22

So if you are in a balcony on a 7 night cruise where you pick the cruise you still pay $100 pp or $200 deposit and then get the instant $100 OBC.

If you cancel that cruise that you booked I would think that they just take back the $100 that they gave you in OBC and credit you back the 2nd person's $100 deposit

Or do they;):rolleyes:

Is it really that hard to write terms that are easy to understand?

Edited by molly361

Maybe the terms mean that you can change your future booking ONLY if you pick the get the OBC now option and if you pick the get the OBC later option you CAN NOT make any changes without it reverting to the lower Decide Later amount??

So if you are in a balcony on a 7 night cruise where you pick the cruise you still pay $100 pp or $200 deposit and then get the instant $100 OBC.

If you cancel that cruise that you booked I would think that they just take back the $100 that they gave you in OBC and credit you back the 2nd person's $100 deposit

Or do they;):rolleyes:

Is it really that hard to write terms that are easy to understand?

I have a feeling that a deposit is per cabin and not per person since the OBC is per cabin and not per person.:D

So as an example:

•5-7 night cruises

◦Interior/Oceanview: $50

◦Balcony/Junior Suite: $100

◦Grand Suite and above: $200

A 7 night sailing in a JS Cabin would be $100 deposit with a $100 OBC. If they charged the normal $100pp deposit, they would have to give you $200 in OBC.

Edited by cruisenfever

I have a feeling that a deposit is per cabin and not per person since the OBC is per cabin and not per person.:D

So as an example:

•5-7 night cruises

A 7 night sailing in a JS Cabin would be $100 deposit with a $100 OBC. If they charged the normal $100pp deposit, they would have to give you $200 in OBC.

I guess that they might let you book one person on the reservation for the obc amount, like they did with the NextCruise bookings.

I agree that they would have to give you $200 obc with this deal according to your example but maybe that is an incentive to keep the cruise you have booked or you 'lose' your $200.

If not, they should reword their statement to reflect what they actually want it to mean.

I guess that they might let you book one person on the reservation for the obc amount, like they did with the NextCruise bookings.

I agree that they would have to give you $200 obc with this deal according to your example but maybe that is an incentive to keep the cruise you have booked or you 'lose' your $200.

If not, they should reword their statement to reflect what they actually want it to mean.

I'm starting to believe they write them, wait for us to pick them apart and find all of the holes and contradictions in them, so they can go back and figure out what they really intended to say in the first place. Welcome to CC, the ex-officio RCL proofreading and editorial consistency board :D

I'm starting to believe they write them, wait for us to pick them apart and find all of the holes and contradictions in them, so they can go back and figure out what they really intended to say in the first place. Welcome to CC, the ex-officio RCL proofreading and editorial consistency board :D

You hit the nail right on the head!!;)

i'm starting to believe they write them, wait for us to pick them apart and find all of the holes and contradictions in them, so they can go back and figure out what they really intended to say in the first place. Welcome to cc, the ex-officio rcl proofreading and editorial consistency board :d

Like!!!! :)

Edited by molly361

So as an example:

•5-7 night cruises

You are correct. The deposit amounts are per cabin and not per person. They are advertising deposits as low as $25pp for a 7 night cruise. Didn't get a chance to ask what happened to deposits if there were more than 2 in the cabin.

So as an example:

•5-7 night cruises

The JS example you use is exactly how it worked for us when we booked under

the New Global offer on Radiance last week. That was 2 people in one JS cabin, total deposit $100 and total OBC $100.

From the comments others have made above, it appears that Royal in attempting a small move towards treating all guests equally no matter where in the world they live, have just succeeded in confusing everyone.

Edited by harz99

If you pick the get the OBC later would your deposit for 2 people still be $100 total?

I am curious as to how many people would take the instant OBC as opposed to future. We prefer future OBC

Edited by molly361

I must be missing something, seems like you give up the OBC on the future cruise and basically don't have to put down a deposit at all for that cruise now ?

Example:

I put down a $100 deposit for a 7 nt balcony cruise. Royal charges my card for $100 and then gives me $100 OBC back on the cruise that I am currently on. At the end of this cruise Royal charges my card $100 less than they ordinarily would have for this cruise. When I walk off the ship, I have paid exactly the same as I would have if I had not put down a deposit but I now have a non-refundable deposit on a future cruise for $100. So basically I converted the $100 OBC on a future cruise into a $100 deposit on the future cruise .... seems like I can only be ahead on this deal.

Adding some numbers:

I planned to pay $500 "on-board", I now pay $100 as a deposit but only $400 at the end of the cruise, so I still get charged $500.

I put down a deposit on a $2000 future cruise, ordinarily I would pay (for sake of example) a $100 deposit now, $1900 at final payment and then get $100 OBC on board, so net price would be $1900.

Instead I put "nothing" down (since I got the OBC back already in the same amount) and owe $1900 at final payment but get no OBC. Net price $1900.

If I never take the future cruise, I am not out of pocket anything (since I already got my $100 back in OBC) so its basically a "free" hold on a future cruise ...

Edited by jticarruthers

the New Global offer on Radiance last week. That was 2 people in one JS cabin, total deposit $100 and total OBC $100.

From the comments others have made above, it appears that Royal in attempting a small move towards treating all guests equally no matter where in the world they live, have just succeeded in confusing everyone.

When you first brought this to our attention on the other thread I thought it sounded good. After reading the terms posted on here I'm not so sure.

If they REALLY wanted to treat all guests equally no matter where in the world they live, all they needed to do was say, if you book your next cruise onboard and later you cancel, the deposit is fully refundable for EVERYONE, and EVERYONE can change ship or sail date without penalty!

Job done!

If you pick the get the OBC later would your deposit for 2 people still be $100 total?

I am curious as to how many people would take the instant OBC as opposed to future. We prefer future OBC

From the description it sounds like the deposit is now per cabin and not per person.

We prefer the refundable deposit so having the OBC on the future cruise booked would not be a problem.

I must be missing something, seems like you give up the OBC on the future cruise and basically don't have to put down a deposit at all for that cruise now ?

Example:

I put down a $100 deposit for a 7 nt balcony cruise. Royal charges my card for $100 and then gives me $100 OBC back on the cruise that I am currently on. At the end of this cruise Royal charges my card $100 less than they ordinarily would have for this cruise. When I walk off the ship, I have paid exactly the same as I would have if I had not put down a deposit but I now have a non-refundable deposit on a future cruise for $100. So basically I converted the $100 OBC on a future cruise into a $100 deposit on the future cruise .... seems like I can only be ahead on this deal.

OBC is non-refundable, so if you get the OBC on the cruise that you are currently on and don't use it you lose it. Your cc would still have the $100 charge applied for the non-refundable deposit.

Edited by cruisenfever

I read the thread you originally posted as well as this one and am still a bit confused. Is the price onboard for UK cruisers given in dollars or pounds and what happens when final payment is due, do you pay the UK office or the US one. I dread to think what Guatemala will make of it:)

We will be on Splendour in just over 4 weeks and are hoping to book onboard for next year, we don't plan on cancelling and would prefer the onboard credit on the next cruise so no different than normal for us but just wondered how it worked in practice.

Thanks,

Julie

OBC is non-refundable, so if you get the OBC on the cruise that you are currently on and don't use it you lose it. Your cc would still have the $100 charge applied for the non-refundable deposit.

Fair enough, assuming I charge enough to use up the OBC (which I would almost certainly do) does the rest of the logic hold though ?

I read the thread you originally posted as well as this one and am still a bit confused. Is the price onboard for UK cruisers given in dollars or pounds and what happens when final payment is due, do you pay the UK office or the US one. I dread to think what Guatemala will make of it:)

We will be on Splendour in just over 4 weeks and are hoping to book onboard for next year, we don't plan on cancelling and would prefer the onboard credit on the next cruise so no different than normal for us but just wondered how it worked in practice.

Thanks,

Julie

If you book onboard and reside in the UK it will be priced in GBP. The deposit is (was?) £70. How exactly that will be converted to USD for onboard credit I don't know as the exchange rate fluctuates.

The only exception to the above would be if the cruise on which you are making the next cruise was booked through a US agent, then it would be priced in USD and assigned to that agent.

If you book onboard and reside in the UK it will be priced in GBP. The deposit is (was?) £70. How exactly that will be converted to USD for onboard credit I don't know as the exchange rate fluctuates.

The only exception to the above would be if the cruise on which you are making the next cruise was booked through a US agent, then it would be priced in USD and assigned to that agent.

Yes, that's how its always been previously for us too when booking onboard but I thought with this new system no matter where in the world we are from, we pay in dollars and that is the amount of onboard credit we will have. Just wondered what happens at final payment if we pay in the UK and revert to pounds. As you say the exchange rate will probably be different by next year.

Julie

I'll be on the Radiance in May and will be booking a cruise for January while on board. My mom will be paying for my January cruise so we'll have the OBC applied to the current cruise. We get off on Friday, May 22nd which happens to be Memorial Day weekend. Knowing that Royal sometimes does sales during holiday weekends, if I book on Thursday and the price either goes down or they are giving some sort of incentive, can I take advantage of the Best Price Guaranteet? Would they require us to put down a larger deposit than the $100?

From the description it sounds like the deposit is now per cabin and not per person.

It may be just how they are phrasing it. In summary, they say, your deposit is your obc. So they could be using a $50 pp deposit, so total $100 for the cabin for the example you use. It is still probably being broken down as $50 pp on the invoice.