Bringing my own salad dressing

CRUISEWITHH

Can anyone tell me if they have brought something of their own to the MDR. I will be on the Pacific Princess and I have a food allergy that makes it impossible for me to use any of their salad dressings on board.

The waiters always offer me vinegar and oil, but I hate it, so this time I would like to bring my own salad dressing and leave it with my waiter (1st seating confirmed) This is a sealed commercial bottled salad dressing not my own concoction.

Helen

No problem. A couple of years ago, I was on a cruise with some friends and while in port in San Francisco, they bought some hoison salad dressing that they brought to the table in the dining room at night.

If you have the recipe for your own dressing and the ingredients are not unusual, I bet if you asked the Head Waiter, he would arrange to have it made.

Can anyone tell me if they have brought something of their own to the MDR. I will be on the Pacific Princess and I have a food allergy that makes it impossible for me to use any of their salad dressings on board.

The waiters always offer me vinegar and oil, but I hate it, so this time I would like to bring my own salad dressing and leave it with my waiter (1st seating confirmed) This is a sealed commercial bottled salad dressing not my own concoction.

Helen

I'm not sure they can store your personal food in the kitchens/dining rooms. You'd have to store it yourself. I second using your own personal (small) container to bring to the MDR for use.

As noted, the only issue is storage. If it requires refrigeration once opened, they cannot store it in ship's refrigerators. If it doesn't they may be able to find a spot for it away from ship's stores, but no guarantees.

Be prepared to take it back to the cabin if you have to.

Helen

I usually bring a dried hot chili spice mix with me to sprinkle on my Fettuccine Alfredo, salads, potatoes, and some savory soups. I have people look at me funny, but I don't care. Do what you need and what makes you happy!

I usually bring a dried hot chili spice mix with me to sprinkle on my Fettuccine Alfredo, salads, potatoes, and some savory soups. I have people look at me funny, but I don't care. Do what you need and what makes you happy!

Thats good stuff! :D

DH hates to go anywhere without his Carnation liquid French Vanilla coffee creamer. If he can get to a US store after we've landed, he simply buys it and keeps it in our refrigerator. Pours some into his Princess coffee mug every morning and he's a happy cruiser.

However, this has posed a problem throughout the world where it isn't carried but they just came out with a condensed liquid version that doesn't require refrigeration. Yay! Much more expensive but we'll save lots of time not wandering through stores looking for something that might substitute when we're in other countries.

I bring my own room temp butter (Kerrygold, I hate the frozen patties Princess serves), put it in a small tupperware server and put a little in a smaller container to take to the dining room. I bring my own coffee creamer. I bring lemons to cut up and take ashore because you can't get lemons for your seafood in Mexico:D I also bring a bottle of Dr. Brown's rootbeer and make myself a to-die-for rootbeer float!;)

I bring my own room temp butter (Kerrygold, I hate the frozen patties Princess serves), put it in a small tupperware server and put a little in a smaller container to take to the dining room. I bring my own coffee creamer. I bring lemons to cut up and take ashore because you can't get lemons for your seafood in Mexico:D I also bring a bottle of Dr. Brown's rootbeer and make myself a to-die-for rootbeer float!;)

Taking those lemons ashore in Mexico is a big No-No. If you get caught, there could be a hefty fine. Surprised the sniffer dogs haven't found you out. EM

Taking those lemons ashore in Mexico is a big No-No. If you get caught, there could be a hefty fine. Surprised the sniffer dogs haven't found you out. EM

No lemons in Mexico? If you ask for lemons they bring you limes. Oh well, I'll resort to the plastic lemon juice:(

Taking any produce ashore is subject to fines of up to $500+ US and they can refuse you entry into the country.

I brought my own salad dressing onboard the Emerald in January. I am Gluten Free and do not care for oil and vinegar or balsamic vinaigrette, the only dressings they say are GF. I purchase individual packets from Hendrickson's and use them everywhere I go. It is easy to just slip one in a pocket or purse on the way out of the cabin. DH thought I was crazy, but when we ordered salads from room service, and they forgot his dressing, he was more than happy to use what I brought with me.

I brought my own salad dressing onboard the Emerald in January. I am Gluten Free and do not care for oil and vinegar or balsamic vinaigrette, the only dressings they say are GF. I purchase individual packets from Hendrickson's and use them everywhere I go. It is easy to just slip one in a pocket or purse on the way out of the cabin. DH thought I was crazy, but when we ordered salads from room service, and they forgot his dressing, he was more than happy to use what I brought with me.

A good idea. :)

Because I am very careful with my sugar intake, I bring my own jam and salad dressing with me.

They are in a manufacturer sealed bottle when I board and I just put the opened bottles in a zip lock bag and place in my luggage that is picked up the last night. There has not been any problems with the bottles in the luggage.

On our cruise a few weeks ago the dog had found probably 20 pieces of fruit when we walked past it. He was right on the dock and working hard!