MY TIME DINNING, changing traditional seating

we are scheduled for the 8:30pm eating time. Too late for 3 young kids.

Is there a chance we could try and change to the earlier seating?? maybe a tip to the Maitre'D??

I'm not really interested in signing up for the MY Time Dinning.

It's not that I'm opposed to giving tips out, but I'm not sure how many times we will actually be eating in the dinning room. The last time we went on a cruise we barely ate in the dinning rom. My loss I know..

yes, try to get on the waitlist for 6pm seating. If you don't, go to the MDR when you board and speak to the guy at the podium. They always say, 'sorry we are full but we'll try' and then usually they get you changed by the second night. So first night you may have to eat at WJ if you don't want to wait.

Not sure why you are ruling out MTD. You can either try for that now or on the ship. Better than 8:30 anyway. I tried 8:30 on our last cruise and it was just too late for me.

Is there a chance we could try and change to the earlier seating?? maybe a tip to the Maitre'D??

It's not that I'm opposed to giving tips out, but I'm not sure how many times we will actually be eating in the dinning room. The last time we went on a cruise we barely ate in the dinning rom. My loss I know..

MTD sounds perfect for you. Eat when you want or eat elsewhere.

Either traditional or MTD you'll tip the same amount.

Edited by Retired LEO

If this is the case why even bother changing seatings? Just go to WJ. If you get traditional seating you should be tipping every night regardless of where you eat as they are reserving a space for you.

Try calling the C&A desk. I was successful in changing the 3/26/16 Oasis cruise from DD/MTD to early traditional dining. I also have 3 young children in my group and couldn't take a chance in getting early times for MTD. I went thru the ringer in making reservations for DD on the Quantum and wanted to avoid any hassle in the future.

Perhaps you are not aware, tips are no longer given directly to waitstaff as they were a few years ago. Your account is automatically charged $12/day/person. MTD will require you to to prepay tips, but you will be charged onboard whether you use the MDR or not. No matter what traditional dining time you ultimately get, not showing up means someone may sit alone. If you are not planning on using the MDR, please at least use MTD.

If this is the case why even bother changing seatings? Just go to WJ. If you get traditional seating you should be tipping every night regardless of where you eat as they are reserving a space for you.

They should change seatings because some unfortunate couple could end up sitting alone.

Try calling the C&A desk. I was successful in changing the 3/26/16 Oasis cruise from DD/MTD to early traditional dining. I also have 3 young children in my group and couldn't take a chance in getting early times for MTD. I went thru the ringer in making reservations for DD on the Quantum and wanted to avoid any hassle in the future.

They didn't do anything special as it's available to anyone

It sounds like MTD would be perfect for you, with young children they do not always run on a schedule. What is the difference about the tips, you will pay them anywhere you eat.

I'm guessing that the OP does not want MTD because tips are prepaid and cannot be removed. With traditional dining, tips can easily be removed by a trip to Guest Services.

It appears you are asking about tipping the Maitre d' (to grease his palm, as it were) in hopes he will make this change for you. Trust me, you do not have to do this. If they can make the change for you, it will be done. I agree that Second Seating is too late for youngsters; you have every right to want to ask about making that change.

It's not that I'm opposed to giving tips out, but I'm not sure how many times we will actually be eating in the dinning room. The last time we went on a cruise we barely ate in the dinning rom.

Just so you know, RCI has an auto-gratuity program in place now. Unless you pre-pay your tips on your final bill before you leave home, each passenger (your children included) will be charged a daily service charge/auto-tip. This is actually very convenient, and everyone who should be tipped is taken care of with this auto-tip (waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter, cabin steward). You say you may not eat in the Dining Room every night - that's fine because the same staff who work in the DR also take turns working in the Windjammer buffet. Some people feel (or simply don't understand) that even if they do not take dinner in the DR, they will be eating somewhere... the tips are covered for those people who serve you.

This may very well turn into a tipping thread after my comments, but I wanted OP to know about this; it sounds to me like she was unsure about how it worked.

Have a fun cruise. :)

They should change seatings because some unfortunate couple could end up sitting alone.

They want to change seatings from late to early so they can avoid prepaying MTD tips.

They should really either switch to MTD or tell the head waiter they will not be eating at all in the dining room.

Edited by marci22

They didn't do anything special as it's available to anyone

Yes, I know that it's available to every C&A member and they are special especially when young children are involved or anyone with special circumstances, eg. diabetic that need to eat early. I have been successful many times and it's worth a try. With the vacation planners it goes to deaf ears.

I'm guessing that the OP does not want MTD because tips are prepaid and cannot be removed. With traditional dining, tips can easily be removed by a trip to Guest Services.

A post like this makes it seem like it's the acceptable thing to do. It's not.

I'm not a chronic overtipper but really, at least pay the minimums or don't go to the dining room at all.

A post like this makes it seem like it's the acceptable thing to do. It's not.

I'm not a chronic overtipper but really, at least pay the minimums or don't go to the dining room at all.

I can guarantee that Bob was not saying that it's ok to remove the gratuities, only that it's POSSIBLE to do so. As for the gratuities, the dining room staff works in the buffet as well when they are on duty and don't have any main dining room duties. Gratuities do help cover the wages of the buffet staff.

As for the tipping policies themselves, I don't agree with the way the system on most mainstream lines is implemented--I still think that the cruise fares should simply be increased per person in the amount to cover the tipping and then simply do away with the additional charge altogether. If every cruise line did this, their fares would all be competitive with one another and passengers would have no way to stiff the crew intentionally, nor could anyone use the excuses I see here along the lines of "well I didn't know that I was going to have this extra expense, etc."

I can guarantee that Bob was not saying that it's ok to remove the gratuities, only that it's POSSIBLE to do so. As for the gratuities, the dining room staff works in the buffet as well when they are on duty and don't have any main dining room duties. Gratuities do help cover the wages of the buffet staff.

As for the tipping policies themselves, I don't agree with the way the system on most mainstream lines is implemented--I still think that the cruise fares should simply be increased per person in the amount to cover the tipping and then simply do away with the additional charge altogether. If every cruise line did this, their fares would all be competitive with one another and passengers would have no way to stiff the crew intentionally, nor could anyone use the excuses I see here along the lines of "well I didn't know that I was going to have this extra expense, etc."

Royal has already increased the cruise fares .The only people that as you say stiff the crew is royal.I think people should tip what they like, and not worry about what the tip Police.have to say. :eek: :)

Royal has already increased the cruise fares .The only people that as you say stiff the crew is royal.I think people should tip what they like, and not worry about what the tip Police.have to say. :eek: :)

I understand your point, but do you realize how little the staff that are included in the tipping pool actually make? The cruise line pays them very little by US standards and expects the tips to make up the balance. Do I agree with the practice? No, but that's the way the current system is set up. If you worked for as little as they are paid by the cruise line, you wouldn't work for them for long. Which is why the system is the way it is--their service staff relies on tips to make their paycheck. I think the entire system needs to go away, and the cruise line simply pay them a fair wage, but part of the problem with that is tax liability on the cruise lines to their various countries where they are registered and incorporated. Tax liability is one of the main reasons why most cruise ships sailing from the U.S. are registered in Panama, Liberia, Bahamas, etc. Flags of convenience as they are known by.

I understand your point, but do you realize how little the staff that are included in the tipping pool actually make? The cruise line pays them very little by US standards and expects the tips to make up the balance. Do I agree with the practice? No, but that's the way the current system is set up. If you worked for as little as they are paid by the cruise line, you wouldn't work for them for long. Which is why the system is the way it is--their service staff relies on tips to make their paycheck. I think the entire system needs to go away, and the cruise line simply pay them a fair wage, but part of the problem with that is tax liability on the cruise lines to their various countries where they are registered and incorporated. Tax liability is one of the main reasons why most cruise ships sailing from the U.S. are registered in Panama, Liberia, Bahamas, etc. Flags of convenience as they are known by.

I do agree with you,the crew they are great people.I don't trust royal with my money.So we cancel auto tips and give the crew that serve us cash.As i said before tip the way you want.It is your money. Have a great next cruise.:)