The looks of carnival ships.

COCKYMARK

Let me start by saying I am not trying to upset any carnival cruisers....I have been on one cruise with them. and enjoyed it. but does anyone else think they have ships that are just not that pretty. mainly from the outside of the ship...maybe its the shape or whatever...but to me they just don't look that good. RCL has awesome looking ships...the colors they use are better. anyone else think this? all opinions are fine!

I have sailed on some Carnival ships, and agree with OP. The Fantasy class ships are the ugliest things on water. They were built about the same time as the Sovereign class, and there is no comparison. The rest of the fleet isn't that bad, but they all look the same. I'm booked on the New Vista, but that is because they have a new class on it, and I wanted to try it. The price was right also.

Let me start by saying I am not trying to upset any carnival cruisers....I have been on one cruise with them. and enjoyed it. but does anyone else think they have ships that are just not that pretty. mainly from the outside of the ship...maybe its the shape or whatever...but to me they just don't look that good. RCL has awesome looking ships...the colors they use are better. anyone else think this? all opinions are fine!

I agree. The more recent ships (Dream, Magic, etc) aren't bad, but all of the older ships are ugly imo. I also don't like the color scheme.

Been on Carnival many times but agree some are not so pretty. If you want to see ugly check out some like the Sensation where they welded two rows of balcony on the outside walls of the ship on both sides and the stern. The dinning room on the Dream also deserves a mention as it looks as if the took all the plastic red cups from the Lido and nailed them on the walls. Bob

I think RCI has the nicest looking ships. They just have more pleasing lines and proportions than most other ships. Though that starts to get lost with the Oasis and Quantum class which I think is too angled. Nothing matches the graceful lines of the past ocean liners. But that is the price to pay for everyone wanting balconies these days.

I like the look of the Freedom and Voyager class best, particularly Navigator and Mariner. They look so clean and sleek. I also like the classic look of the Disney ships a lot. The Quantum and Oasis class don't do much for me. I like the clean lines and open pool/sun area you find on Freedom and Voyager.

A lot of new ships have so much "stuff" on the upper decks it just kills the lines. The newer NCL ships look terrible. It seems like they put emphasis on sitting an amusement park on top of the upper decks. I do think the HAL and Celebrity ships look classy with their dark colors. The older Carnival boats are just very dated. Even the newer ones seem very busy, and I think the short bow area they use throws off the proportions.

I have sailed on some Carnival ships, and agree with OP. The Fantasy class ships are the ugliest things on water. They were built about the same time as the Sovereign class, and there is no comparison. The rest of the fleet isn't that bad, but they all look the same. I'm booked on the New Vista, but that is because they have a new class on it, and I wanted to try it. The price was right also.

:D Agree! Fantasy class ships are rather ugly!

LuLu

I coud not agree with you more, something about those Carnival ships I just don't like. I am a huge fan of Royal ships, but I was also a huge fan of this beauty, she was beautiful inside and out.

IMG_0360.jpg

I like the Spirit class Carnival ships, but that's about it. Decor is super ugly on all of them, and I'm not a fan of the gimmicky funnels.

I love the look of the RCI ships. You can see the evolution through the fleet. Radiance class, Voyager (2nd gen) class, Freedom class, up to Oasis class are all perfect and you can see they're related and how they've evolved!

I'm not sold on Quantum class yet. To me, they look like every other new ship that's coming out (Regal/Royal Princess, Britannia, NCL Breakaway, Getaway and Escape, Solstice).

Thought I walked into a naval architecture seminar for a moment. All this talk if lines, lines, lines... I was waiting on a discussion of the impact of metacenter on comfort or the hydrodynamic benefits of pneumatic boundary layers. [emoji26]

While I do think Royal has very good looking cruise ships, I think Disney's are the most visually striking (even beating out Cunard somehow). That being said, I'm not too fond of the looks of most ships these days. A bit like the current crop of cars, the badging is the most distinguishing feature on most. [emoji57]

For me, the beauty of modern ships is in the inter-working of the systems and processes that keep the cities at sea humming along. All the lines are making beautiful magic happen there every day.

For aesthetics I look to clipper ships and for sheer visual impact to battleships.

Quantum class are an eyesore. Same with the look of the pool deck on Quantum. Looks very tight like the carnival pool areas. Quantum from the outside reminds me of a Breakaway Class NCL Ship.

Edited by Moltar

Thought I walked into a naval architecture seminar for a moment. All this talk if lines, lines, lines... I was waiting on a discussion of the impact of metacenter on comfort or the hydrodynamic benefits of pneumatic boundary layers. [emoji26]

While I do think Royal has very good looking cruise ships, I think Disney's are the most visually striking (even beating out Cunard somehow). That being said, I'm not too fond of the looks of most ships these days. A bit like the current crop of cars, the badging is the most distinguishing feature on most. [emoji57]

For me, the beauty of modern ships is in the inter-working of the systems and processes that keep the cities at sea humming along. All the lines are making beautiful magic happen there every day.

For aesthetics I look to clipper ships and for sheer visual impact to battleships.

I had the opportunity to spend some time aboard the Iowa with a friend of mine who was aboard as a corpsman. I was able to explore parts that most visitors never get to see. It was amazing. We don't live too far from Battleship Cove in MA. Sometimes I go an just hang out on the Massachusetts. I come from a naval family. I love he ships.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Quantum class are an eyesore. Same with the look of the pool deck on Quantum. Looks very tight like the carnival pool areas. Quantum from the outside reminds me of a Breakaway Class NCL Ship.

And it doesn't help much when the "crane" is sticking up.

Carnival's Fantasy Class ships have always reminded me of sailing shoe boxes with a funnel stuck in the top. Not attractive -- and made worse now on the ships that have had square clumps of balconies haphazardly welded on. Ugly.

The Carnival ships beginning with the Destiny Class look fine on the outside IMHO. The have decent lines and aren't particularly remarkable. They made Destiny ugly when they turned her into Sunshine, but that's the exception.

I agree that the RCI Voyager, Radiance, and Freedom classes are the most appealing. I prefer the Generation 2 Voyager Class ships with the glass balconies, but they all have nice lines.

Just like today's cars, they're all starting to look alike. While I'm not a fan of the Carnival style, there's never a doubt when you see one coming. There's never a doubt when you see the Viking Crown coming either so I'm not sure what they were thinking when they completely removed it. They could have put anything they wanted inside. The outside was their signature look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously this sort of thing (just like food) is subject to individual taste, but to me, re: external looks, its:

PRETTY:

- most classes of RC ships (esp Freedom and Voyager)

- newer categories of Carnival (i.e. Breeze, even the Glory class ships)

- the NCL Breakaway class ships (nice lines but a little garish on the art)

UGLY:

- RC Oasis class (just too big and overgrown .. and whats that big thing sitting up on top over the back ... just ugly looking ships)

- RC Vision class (esp the stern sections, like on Enchantment ... not nice lookin design)

- RC Quantum Class (the Quantum has THE ugliest stern ever .... ever ... evvvvver .. it looks like a big set of fake teeth glued on the back of that ship)

- Carnival Sensation class (they look like barges .. esp the ones with the balconies glued on to the side and hanging off the back)

- Princess Ships (hideous bow sections, hideous stern sections .. they look like a bus .. even worse the ones with that ugly lounge thing that runs across the top and back .. and the support bars that hold up the bridge ... )

- Norwegian Epic (no explanation necessary)

(IMO, of course!) :D

Have to agree that the Fantasy class ships (especially the ones where they've bolted/glued/welded/whatever on those additional tiny balconies) aren't very attractive externally when compared to a lot of ships built in the last 10-15 years. But all the CCL ships since the Destiny I think are not bad looking at all, I like them. Of the RCI ships, the Oasis class isn't attractive at all - they look bulgy and top heavy, like they're going to roll over in a stiff breeze. The rest of the RCI fleet I do like the eye appeal.

Edited by joepeka