Nasty comment from staff

thatdarnpunk

Whether you have a beverage package or purchase by the drink, bar staff are ensured 18% gratuity. That comment should have been shared with senior officers. I'd have been beside myself to be mocked like that.

I am aware of the 18% included tip. I thought OP was referring to pre-paid gratuities, implying that bartenders are paid from the automatic daily tip charges, but I was probably mistaken.

Been on lots of cruises and different cruiselines but since auto gratuities I haven't seen cash given as a tip in a bar on a ship.

What you should have said was " That wasn't a tip I just wanted change."

You tipped in CASH? That would certainly draw a comment. I don't think I've ever seen cash used as a tip on Celebrity.

We tip extra in cash if we get service deserving of more than automatic gratuity. Most of the time, it is just being nice and responsive.

Maybe we are everyone's problem. :) I doubt it though.

Edited by shipshape sam

I am absolutely shocked that this happened on the Silhouette. We just sailed on her March 1 sailing, and every single crew member we met was gracious. They had that wonderful ability to provide fantastic service without being stuffy. I never felt like I was using the wrong fork or perhaps not ordering the right things. I think that kind of service is a result of the attitude of those in charge plus excellent training. I've had service where I could tell it was just a step above contempt-you can read it in body language and sometimes the tone of voice. I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm also surprised this young lady even considered acting badly- we saw the F and B director all the time and he could have easily seen this display of bad manners.

We had a very nice talk with the HR director on our last morning before disembarking. it seemed to us that the Silhouette crew and officers really care about each other. There are over 70 countries represented by the crew and each time there is a holiday that is specific to someone's country, they have a little celebration. Since so many crew members are from India, they cook a huge meal and have a party on the crew deck area!

I hope this was a one-off because I booked 4, yes FOUR, cruises based on the Silhouette's amazing service!

Sounds like that bartender needs to be auditioning for the Comedy Show -- or not! :rolleyes:

We always keep singles with us, and use them for extra tips -- from the Elite Lounge to the Martini Bar -- and, we've never heard anything but "Thank You". And, as sorceress (Calypso) said to Captain Jack Sparrow (over his jar of dirt):

"If you don't like it -- give it BA-ACK!" :D

Edited by wwcruisers

We, too, take a stack of $1 bills on each cruise and tip for drinks at bars and for coffees at Bacio and it's always appreciated, and the bartenders and wait staff get to know us and we get wonderful service.

For those who say they have never seen anyone tip in cash, perhaps it's because those of us who do tip with cash do so quitely, without calling attention to ourselves. But the next time you are in the Martini Bar, pay attention - they ring a bell by the register whenever they get a cash tip.

Why in the world would that "draw a comment"? Cash is very acceptable on Celebrity, very commonly used, and graciously accepted by all bartenders, bar waiters, etc.

Let me ask you this.......how do you tip people that take especially good care of you on the ship??? Cash is the only method I am aware of, or, adding the tip to a tab if you don't have a package. And your waiter, ass't. waiter, and room steward???

To the OP: I am sorry that comment was made by the bartender. Totally uncalled for, no matter the circumstance.

Sorry, I've never seen cash used on board. We always tip by adding it to the check, but i rarely go to the bar. We've never had the drink package and we usually sit at a table. I didn't mean to imply that someone shouldn't tip.

We do tip in cash for room service, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by patty1955

The only place I tip extra for drinks is at the elite cocktail event because I'm not sure how they get compensated...drinks to us are free.

Had this happened to me, I would first ask for the $1 back....and I'd be heading for the nearest phone and asking for the food and beverage manager to stop by to chat....and I would have the name of the server who made the comment. It was not only out of line...it was probably grounds for being fired and let off at the next port.

Sorry you had this happen....based on lots of cruises on Celebrity your experience is a very rare exception to their excellent service.

This. ^

I'd have the $1 back and have the chat. Problem solved.

This is simply unacceptable behavior.

Once, on an NCL ship, I was charged $6.90 more for a cocktail than I thought I should have been charged. It turned out that the waitress had given me the cocktail in a $6.00 souvenir glass, even though I had not requested it. I told her that I didn't want the glass, and I didn't want to pay for it (and the 15% gratuity on the $6.00), and I told her that the glass could be washed and given to someone else. She didn't want to take the glass back or adjust the check. I was unable to persuade her to adjust the check, so finally, another passenger was able to persuade her. But I still had to pay the 15% mandatory tip on the correct price of my cocktail for her "excellent" service.

Once, on NCL's private island, there was a stand set up where glasses of sangria were being sold. After I was given one, I asked why I was being charged twice the posted price. The guy said, "That's because I gave you a double." I hadn't asked for a double. I hadn't even paid enough attention to see that there was a set of glasses smaller than the one I was given pushed way in the back. I guess the guy figured that if he just handed out doubles, he could earn twice as much in the mandatory tips.

On Celebrity, my cabinmate and I went to the brunch, where a waiter came around with a tray of cocktails and offered them, saying that they were $6.00. We declined. I told my cabinmate that it was nice of him to tell us upfront that there was an added charge for the drinks. Afterwards, I found out from others that waiters offered them drinks and made them think that they were included in the brunch, and it wasn't until after they took them that they found out that they had to pay. Not so nice.

Sorry, I've never seen cash used on board. We always tip by adding it to the check, but i rarely go to the bar. We've never had the drink package and we usually sit at a table. I didn't mean to imply that someone shouldn't tip.

We do tip in cash for room service, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Hi Patty, With a drink package, you don't get a bill to add an additional tip, so that's why it's easier to pay in cash.

You are already paying 18 ever-loving percent on each drink. I can't fathom the motivation to (or the level of service that could be given to) give someone additional money on top of that.

I'd definitely stop passing out additional cash if that's the kind of reception it's going to get.

Agree that the comment was completely out of line and agree with the suggestions that you should have asked for the $ back and reported the bartender. We do give cash tips IF we find a bar and a server that we enjoy and plan on frequenting for the rest of the cruise. Especially if the bar is normally crowded at the time we go, it's a way to build a relationship and give yourself a little service boost - this is our motivation. We've had situations where we walk into a very crowded bar, catch our favorite server's eye as we walk in; he/she may spot a couple of seats and quickly move in to save them for us. He/she will also usually have our favorite drink on order before we've even settled into our seats. It's happened many times and is well worth an extra $3-4 per day.

Edited by Kartgv

Since the company apparently has a formula to pay the bartenders based on swipes of the card for drink packages, and charges 18% when you don't have a package, I don't see a need to tip extra most of the time.

I'd rather tip at the end of the cruise to the guy who did an exceptional job.

At receptions, when they don't swipe cards, it makes more sense to have a few singles.

Meanwhile, I'd be complaining to the bar manager about the snarky comment.

Edited by Algebralovr

You are already paying 18 ever-loving percent on each drink. I can't fathom the motivation to (or the level of service that could be given to) give someone additional money on top of that.

I'd definitely stop passing out additional cash if that's the kind of reception it's going to get.

Aren't you just paying 18% on the package, not on each drink? I was planning on bringing cash to leave a dollar here and there when we received good bar service.

Considering that an 18% charge is added, I don't know why you added a dollar in cash. You always add extra to the gratuity never give cash.

How exactly would you add extra? You don't get a bill. We always gave cash with the drink package. I'd have gone Ballistic if I'd received that comment.

While comments focusing on tipping might be interesting, they completely miss the point. It doesn't matter if one gives an extra tip or not. It doesn't matter if they tip in cash or some other way. It doesn't matter what the built in percentage might be. The bottom line is that an employee treated a valued customer, whether they meant to or not, in a way that is in violation of Celebrity policy. That behavior needs to be called to the attention of the employee and corrected.

I always bring ones and five dollar bills and tip as we go ! Always been appreciated by bartenders and wait staff ! Cabin stewards and butler's always get extra dollars depending on the extra effort they show us ! Having worked in the hospitality industry when I was younger I know how a few extra dollars always helped out !! I give back as much and when ever I can !!! :)

We were on the same cruise and I also noticed the bartenders at the martini bar get a bit snippy. I think the big problem there was that it was packed and sometimes only had one bartender maybe 2 tops. They definitely needed more help. Meanwhile, the martini bar was packed and Cellar Masters sat empty.

Not related to tipping, but related to the crowds at the bars. We were on a Celebrity cruise in Jan, and we did not have a drink package. I found that by booking the cruise without the "free" drink package was a significant savings. We are not drinkers, but do enjoy a cocktail once a day or so.

What I saw on Celebrity, though, with this drink package promotion is too many people over imbibing. Bars were crowded, and bartenders overwhelmed (perhaps leading to the comment here).

On the bright side, one passenger brought me a couple of cocktails while sitting on the deck when he found out that I was paying for drinks. Why bother, he asked, when he got them for me for free. Very kind.

In booking our next cruise, however, I will look for a line that doesn't offer 'free drink" packages.

By the way, my room was $300 less without the free drink package, so don't fool yourself. They have figured out how to price this.

Anyone who gives exceptional service during our cruises gets a cash tip in addition to the prepaid grats and the automatically added 18%, at the end of the cruise. On a recent cruise, the assistant to our cabin attendant said, "Americans think everything can be solved with money." He didn't look at me when he said it, but I heard him clearly. I didn't do anything about this, or question him about it, but I keep thinking about it.

Anyone care to share thoughts about this?

Shaco

While I agree that comment is very unprofessional, I have a few thoughts. Pre-paid gratuities have nothing to do with bar staff unless you have a beverage package. Of course, the bartender would have no way of knowing whether you pre-paid your general gratuities or not, and either way, it does not excuse this kind of comment.

I wonder, though, if it is possible that you were preceded by a long line of non-tippers. If they just served a large number of customers without any tip, the bartender may have been saying something along the lines of, "Oh, look, we just poured ten drinks and made $1 between us." The "they" may have been your fellow cruisers in general, not you specifically. I think a dollar tip on a drink is reasonable, and I would be incredibly surprised if bartenders expected so more on a typical bar drink that they would scoff at $1.

Again, still unprofessional, but it may not have had anything to do with you. I have not had a similar experience, but it would sit ill with me as well if I had.

There are no "non-tippers" at the bar. You are stuck with giving them a tip even if all they do is fill a glass with coke from the spigot.

The OP added an extra tip and the bartender was insulting. If I thought fast enough which I never do, I would have taken the $1 bill out of his hand and dropped a low denomination coin if I had it on the counter or else given him nothing at all.

DON

Anyone who gives exceptional service during our cruises gets a cash tip in addition to the prepaid grats and the automatically added 18%, at the end of the cruise. On a recent cruise, the assistant to our cabin attendant said, "Americans think everything can be solved with money." He didn't look at me when he said it, but I heard him clearly. I didn't do anything about this, or question him about it, but I keep thinking about it.

Anyone care to share thoughts about this?

Shaco

I sure hope that you did not tip him extra.

DON