Nasty comment from staff

thatdarnpunk

We seldom tip additionally per drink..and we get great service! If we DO tip more, it's because there has been some really good interaction with the bar staff, or we've ordered something more than a standard drink. If we frequent one particular bar/bartender, then we tip, as customary, extra on the last evening.

We NEVER "pre-tip"...it's a bribe..not a tip!

We were sailing HAL recently with a beverage package. Two bartenders in one lounge were amazing (they made "name plates" for you and would put them on the bar while you were there). On the last night, we ordered two glasses of wine above our package, so I could have a ticket in which to leave them something extra. To my surprise, the ticket had NO line on it for gratuity! I asked them both "how can I leave you guys an extra tip?" and they both smiled and shook their heads "no, no, no... not necessary!" Moral of the story: Great service does not necessarily need to be "bought". :eek:

I must agree, never had a problem getting great service and certainly not a big tipper.

The person who will get a bit extra out of me is the one who makes my cruise a bit more fun.

Last cruise our wne waiter got a tip at the end of the cruise, might not sound lke much, but we don't drink, but he was a fun guy.

We seldom tip additionally per drink..and we get great service! If we DO tip more, it's because there has been some really good interaction with the bar staff, or we've ordered something more than a standard drink. If we frequent one particular bar/bartender, then we tip, as customary, extra on the last evening.

We NEVER "pre-tip"...it's a bribe..not a tip!

Agree not only rude to your fellow PAX, "see I can pay more than you so will get served before you".

But offensive to the staff "I know you won't give me good service without the $$$".

Agree not only rude to your fellow PAX, "see I can pay more than you so will get served before you".

But offensive to the staff "I know you won't give me good service without the $$$".

Ya ok whatever. This makes no sense.

Well I don't know what ships you've been cruising on, but I see people tip in cash all the time on Celebrity.

I bring a bunch of $2 bills and hand them out to a lot of the workers all thru the cruise. Sometimes one, sometimes two. I see a lot of people do cash.

Grandpabobbylew

What part are you struggling with and I'll use smaller words.

I will use smaller words - mind your own business - I will tip whomever, whenever I want. If you don't like it too bad for you.

If I tip a bartender a 5 because I know he/she will be there giving me great service for 7 days that is my prerogative. It has nothing to do with "Look at me I tip better" , or "You won't give me good service unless I tip".

I bring a bunch of $2 bills and hand them out to a lot of the workers all thru the cruise. Sometimes one, sometimes two. I see a lot of people do cash.

Grandpabobbylew

There are 2 things that cruise staff hate - people who think that they are being cute by giving out $2 bills and those that give out Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. Many merchants in the US will not accept them. What do you think happens when the crew members try to get rid of them in a foreign country?Do you enjoy making life difficult for the hard working cruise staff?

DON

I will use smaller words - mind your own business - I will tip whomever, whenever I want. If you don't like it too bad for you.

If I tip a bartender a 5 because I know he/she will be there giving me great service for 7 days that is my prerogative. It has nothing to do with "Look at me I tip better" , or "You won't give me good service unless I tip".

Well why pay it in advance rather than on the last day, simple really because you want preferential service.

Oh and by the way I have as much right to an opinion and to express same as you do, so don't tell me to mind my own business, it is as much my business as it is yours,

There are 2 things that cruise staff hate - people who think that they are being cute by giving out $2 bills and those that give out Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. Many merchants in the US will not accept them. What do you think happens when the crew members try to get rid of them in a foreign country?Do you enjoy making life difficult for the hard working cruise staff?

DON

Or of course they can just change them at the pursers desk [crew banking] like they do with foreign currency.

Shame about some of the posts on here, I honestly don't care what other people tip it's their money, they can double the value of the drink if they want. I simply think when the grats are now at 18% we should all expect excellent service regardless, I. Not sure what actually justifies further on top but as I say it's someone's money and they can give away as much as they want as far as I'm concerned, it's not effecting me. Just don't take one sunbed in the sun and another in the shade or I'm after ye.

DON

While I don't necessarily disagree with you that $2 bills and Susan B.'s are a pain....EVERY merchant in the US is bound to accept them....they are "legal tender" ... don't know if it would be worth pursuing a merchant that didn't legally but they are wrong not to none the less.....

DON

I disagree about the $2 bills. They spend well. I had a few $2 bills for a cruise and the staff seems happy to get them. They can always turn them into a cashier for larger bills.

As for dollar coins, I tend to agree. No one uses them and coins often not accepted overseas at money exchanges.

I have NEVER had any merchant in the Unites States refuse either a 2 dollar bill or any either of the dollar coins.....and while I don't regularly use 2 dollar bills....I DO very regularly use dollar coins...

DON

Well why pay it in advance rather than on the last day, simple really because you want preferential service.

No!

I'll answer that question.

We DO tip people who are always in the same place (room steward, waiter, sommelier, Molecular bar tenders, etc.) the last day, but it's my experience that the outside bar tenders rotate bars and I can't find them on the last day.

So, as I said before, I usually just fold up a dollar or two and hand it with my sea pass card. I can't be the only one who does this because most of the bartenders are very skillful at unobtrusively sliding that bill into their pockets.

And it's NOT in advance, I do it because I've just received good service -

I've NEVER had a bar tender rudely do what was done to the OP>

Edited by chamima

Wow! That was unbelievably rude.

In 40 some cruises I've never encountered anything remotely close to that remark.

Before we had the drink package and I was signing for drinks, I could see the (then) 15% added on to every drink and rarely added more.

Since we've gotten the drink package i usually fold up a dollar bill and hand it to the bartender with my sea pass card. I usually get a smile and a small tip of the head.

If a bartender had done what yours did I would have avoided that person like the plague for the rest of the cruise.

My standard practice with bev pkg also - was always appreciated.

No!

I'll answer that question.

We DO tip people who are always in the same place (room steward, waiter, sommelier, Molecular bar tenders, etc.) the last day, but it's my experience that the outside bar tenders rotate bars and I can't find them on the last day.

So, as I said before, I usually just fold up a dollar or two and hand it with my sea pass card. I can't be the only one who does this because most of the bartenders are very skillful at unobtrusively sliding that bill into their pockets.

And it's NOT in advance, I do it because I've just received good service -

I've NEVER had a bar tender rudely do what was done to the OP>

I just fold up my shirt sleeve a little higher and show more of my hairy arm. Works great all the time!:D:p